Nike Vapor Fly Range: Discussion

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So – the new arrivals for 2016 are now starting to filter out and most recently it has been Nikes turn.
Im a huge fan of Nike. Their clothes and branding are top notch. The balls are excellent and the irons are gorgeous – they are butter soft and they look absolute quality . Never was a huge fan of the drivers until I bought my Vapor which in my opinion is the best looking driver on the market. The teardrop/pear shape sits behind the ball perfectly.:thup:

A lot of people don’t view Nike as a premium golf brand, which is odd due to the amount of success they have had. Now with this new range…. I can sort of see why people see their equipment as gimmicky. Nobody over the age of 20 is going to want something that looks like their new stuff. They look like some toy you would find out of a happy meal. Photo blue :rolleyes:

I watched Rick Shiels and Pete’s first video on the equipment and you could tell they hated everything about the new drivers. Quite funny really!

What are your thoughts?
Suppose it doesn’t matter if they perform good… right?
Maybe it’s a grower…. But I cannot see Nike winning the hearts and minds of golfers with equipment looking like this…
I do hope I am wrong!

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am not a Nike fan, however in a strange turn of events I have liked the last two bright colored releases. The yellow/volt one and this blue and yellow one. Better than white any day.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't really like the look of the irons but the driver looks ok.

I'm currently having a crack with some Nike vapour pro irons and really like them. The lofts are a lot weaker than my Callaways, but I'm surprisingly hitting them a lot straighter.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
So – the new arrivals for 2016 are now starting to filter out and most recently it has been Nikes turn.
Im a huge fan of Nike. Their clothes and branding are top notch. The balls are excellent and the irons are gorgeous – they are butter soft and they look absolute quality . Never was a huge fan of the drivers until I bought my Vapor which in my opinion is the best looking driver on the market. The teardrop/pear shape sits behind the ball perfectly.:thup:

A lot of people don’t view Nike as a premium golf brand, which is odd due to the amount of success they have had. Now with this new range…. I can sort of see why people see their equipment as gimmicky. Nobody over the age of 20 is going to want something that looks like their new stuff. They look like some toy you would find out of a happy meal. Photo blue :rolleyes:

I watched Rick Shiels and Pete’s first video on the equipment and you could tell they hated everything about the new drivers. Quite funny really!

What are your thoughts?
Suppose it doesn’t matter if they perform good… right?
Maybe it’s a grower…. But I cannot see Nike winning the hearts and minds of golfers with equipment looking like this…
I do hope I am wrong!

Yes was watching this earlier and they really didn't say anything positive.

You can always tell when they say "it could grow on you" when they really mean we cant slag it off the guy from Nike is here.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll be sticking to what i've got, no changes on the horizon for the foreseeable,
be interested to see the old & new drivers compared on GC2 etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really did not like the lime green / yellow driver but do like this one. Hey ho, different tastes. If I had to pick a winner though it would be the metallic red covert drivers. They were gorgeous and streets ahead of both offerings since in my eyes. I can't be alone in that view as you still can't get a bargain with them on Ebay yet.

I am only talking about looks, not actual playability.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nikes looks have gone backwards since the victory red line.

Current stuff looks like fisher price gear with the shocking colour scheme.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i like the look of the Woods, but the iron's look terrible. I really liked Nikes previous Iron offerings, but these do not float my boat at all.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like the woods, don't like the irons. I like the simplistic look of my Covert's and the Vapor's that followed. These new ones are just garish. Not for me at all, though I imagine they'll look a lot better in person.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I'm over the age of 20 and I actually really like the look of their new woods, although I have to agree those irons are hideous.

I'm actually off to Silvermere for a driver fitting this evening and am a little bit gutted these woods aren't out yet.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love Nike. All my trainers, footy boots, running shoes, work out gear, i always look at Nike first.
I have the Nike Rory putter, vr pro ltd edition woods, had both covert tour drivers and a 3w.
I'm not loving the new gear, ever since volt really. A little flash of it in the bag like my putter cover, I'm ok with, but they really went overboard. The blue drivers look OK I guess, but the one that would most interest me, the flex, looks hideous.
The new irons are rank.

I guess I'll stick to my classic looking titleist and mizuno stuff.

I would definitely play Nike gear, woods at least (you'll have to prize my mp64 irons from my cold dead hands) if they hadn't gone the direction they have with their styling.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New range looks really good with the blue and dark grey finish.

Nike still seems to have a problem convincing some that they can do more than overpriced basketball boots

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I love Nike. All my trainers, footy boots, running shoes, work out gear, i always look at Nike first.
I have the Nike Rory putter, vr pro ltd edition woods, had both covert tour drivers and a 3w.
I'm not loving the new gear, ever since volt really. A little flash of it in the bag like my putter cover, I'm ok with, but they really went overboard. The blue drivers look OK I guess, but the one that would most interest me, the flex, looks hideous.
The new irons are rank.

I guess I'll stick to my classic looking titleist and mizuno stuff.

I would definitely play Nike gear, woods at least (you'll have to prize my mp64 irons from my cold dead hands) if they hadn't gone the direction they have with their styling.

Whenever I hear about new gear I know they won't be better than my MP64s so why bother. That was until the MP5 showed it's self!

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't know why but I have never liked any Nike stuff ( I even used it have a set of their clubs )

Never seen a driver of theirs I like - the combo irons were OK

The ones that annoy me are their shoes - really comfortable and light but the look is shocking

Loved their new shoes until I saw the big swoosh across the front.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tried the Vapor Pro Combo irons the other evening and they are awesome, buttery feel, but they werent as long as the AP2's or JPX850s (Was bored so just went to AGD and hit some irons i hadnt before) Love the look and feel but the performance, for me, just wasnt there.

Hope the new irons are decent, i quite like the look of them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never liked the Nike drivers. They have produced some excellent irons though so not sure why I've never been wholly enamoured with the drivers. I'll have a look out of interest but not convinced by the colour

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've never been a big fan of Nike gear.
But last year I purchased my Nike Covert driver and matching 3 & 5 and love them to bits.
They look superb in red, and have a quality feel about them.
Has certainly changed my perception of Nike as a club manufacturer, and I would certainly look a lot more closely at their range if I ever did change anything in my bag again.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love nike balls. Hate their clubs.

My ex girlfriend works in America in the athletics department and she said that nike make a significant loss on hardware but it keeps nike on the golf radar and they then make an absolute killing on golf wear and shoes