Nike Vapor Fly irons

MattVSTS

Hacker
Visit site
I spent some time on the Nike website and I noticed there are quite a few golf-related items in the sale. Among the others, the Nike Vapor Fly irons - down to £299 with an additional 20% off (£240 then). I am well aware of Nike exiting the clubs/balls market, but I am tempted to buy them (and a new putter) despite being a rookie (I started playing from scratch two years ago, I never got to get an handicap because I am not a regular player but I really enjoy the game and I can get around 18 holes in around +28). I get some additional spare time in the last couple of months of the year where I usually have a weekly round, otherwise I try to play when possible, something like once a month in the other months. I have real fun every time, I am just not consistent enough to score decently.

My kit at the moment is made of giveaway clubs from my pro when I had my first set of lessons: Ram irons and unknown woods and putter. I am not concerned about the resale value and the clubs I use at the moment is 90% irons - 10% 5 wood because of the short and narrow course I play at. I could search for something in the used market but I don't really know how to recognise a good set from a bad set, and the hassle is not worth it for me now. I am just wondering if these clubs are something I can benefit from, if they are usable by my standards - I read some good review but I am not sure I can rely of them because of my very basic level.

Many thanks :)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would bite their arms off at that price.

I looked at the "Pro" version and sadly that is £420.

MattVSTS

Hacker
Visit site
In the end I bought the irons and the putter for less than the sale price of the irons alone. And the Nike returns policy is very generous IMHO - I can unwrap them, play with them, if I don't like them for any reason I can return them for free within 60 days.

Well, I hope for decent weather then :)

MattVSTS

Hacker
Visit site
I definitely will, even if my comparison would be with '80s/'90s Ram irons from the perspective of a beginner. I should get them by Monday.

MattVSTS

Hacker
Visit site
I just got back from my weekly 9 holes, where I used my new clubs for the first time.

Taking into account the weather (it was quite windy and the greens were as soggy as sponges) it went unbelievably well.
Before it was all about hitting and guessing, while with these irons most of the shots are exactly as I prepared them. Of course it doesn't mean they are all perfect, but in any of the mistakes I did I knew exactly the reason why the shots were off target.
Hitting the 4 iron is no longer a pain (literally!), it is soft and and it travels as much as my 5 wood. Short irons are like going on autopilot, they are really easy to hit.

Score-wise, it went better than ever with two consecutive pars, three bogeys and four double bogeys. In these four double bogeys I had troubles with trees or I three-putted so it could have been even better. No lost balls at all, which is really an achievement these days.

Honestly, I can't really explain the improvement in the game. Most of the shots were dead centre, I even putted for birdie once (the ball was then spit out by the edge of the cup)! And most importantly, they were very consistent. It basically felt like a playing a videogame for the first time...

Also the new putter (Method B01-07) was really satisfying as well.

All in all, I wasn't expecting this kind of performance, my expectation this morning was 'let's see if I can avoid losing balls and if I can go around decently without shooting left and right...'.

I've always been a bit of a Nike fan when it comes to sports clothing (90% of my sports clothing is Nike because of the materials and the fit), but I wasn't biased when I chose these clubs - I went for them because of the generally good reviews and the clearance price. They are really worth every penny I spent on them.