Next Nick Faldo

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Incidentally, significant numbers of good UK golfers are also going through the us college system. It's very much a target for juniors now, they don't even have to be exceptional. Being exceptional gets you in a better college but I know of 18yr olds off 3 or 4 going to the USA via a golf scholarship.
Watch out for Alex Fitzpatrick, he's there now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Robert MacIntyre will have a good go at the Masters, assuming he's invited.

He isn’t English ?‍♂️
Luke Donald was number 1
Rory was number 1 and won majors

Rory also not English

Since Faldo we have had Rose and Willet ( ? ) as the only major winners , world numbers in Westwood and Donald as well

Currently no 1 Englishman is Hatton , then Casey and then Fitzpatrick

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Faldo was an idol of mine when I got into golf and watching him (and Lyle) up close and personal is a treasured memory. Plenty have come through the Faldo series to have great pro careers. Some decent English (and other home nation players) coming through but there is such strength in depth even on the lower tours like the Challenge that is harder to break through and even harder to come through and dominate even the ET in the way others did in the past. When you add in the conveyor belt of stars coming out the US collegiate system becoming a world force and even winning a major is so much harder

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Incidentally, significant numbers of good UK golfers are also going through the us college system. It's very much a target for juniors now, they don't even have to be exceptional. Being exceptional gets you in a better college but I know of 18yr olds off 3 or 4 going to the USA via a golf scholarship.

I've actually given my lad this as a potential target - not saying he will get there, but I want him to consider it as an option / goal for his post school education.
I know there's a coach from a college in Arizona that has taken a look at him - even at 11 years old - so they are scouting them even at that age.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He isn’t English ?‍♂️

Rory also not English

Since Faldo we have had Rose and Willet ( ? ) as the only major winners , world numbers in Westwood and Donald as well

Currently no 1 Englishman is Hatton , then Casey and then Fitzpatrick
I was assuming some say English when they really mean British ??

HeftyHacker

Visit site

One of the lads in the year above me at school did exactly that. He wasn't quite a scratch golfer at the time I don't think but went out the Henderson State University in Arkansas on a golf scholarship.

Worked out pretty well for him it seems, found a lovely (and incredibly wealthy) American girl who he has since married. Last I heard he was living in florida and struggling to get a work visa so was basically playing golf full time and was off +3 or 4. I can't imagine he was pushing too hard to get that work visa through ?.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the lads in the year above me at school did exactly that. He wasn't quite a scratch golfer at the time I don't think but went out the Henderson State University in Arkansas on a golf scholarship.

Worked out pretty well for him it seems, found a lovely (and incredibly wealthy) American girl who he has since married. Last I heard he was living in florida and struggling to get a work visa so was basically playing golf full time and was off +3 or 4. I can't imagine he was pushing too hard to get that work visa through ?.
It's a fabulous life opportunity, why wouldn't you go for it?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Is a 'next' English golf star really important (genuine question!)?

As someone who is not English, the English-centric views of supporters & commentators of, say Golf, Tennis, Athletics, is quite often amusing. For example, Andy Murray's achievements as a British sportsman somewhat (in my view!) undervalued to the extent I think had he been English he would be much more beloved. The same, perhaps, of Rory. They're celebrated as a British achievement, yes, but often times it's apparent the love given for Tim Henman (when he played) and Rose or Westwood is significantly more. But the sports mentioned aren't really just English or Scottish in the same way as football or rugby, so should should being English / Scottish / Welsh / N. Irish / Irish really matter - would it not be better just to have a Major winner or number 1 from these shores.

In terms of the question, an English Major winner is much more likely. There's a conveyor belt of USA players now, more athletic and primed for Tour than ever before. From a European perspective, potential English superstars seem pretty limited (too late for Bland!).

Hatton is the most likely English player in my view to win a Major. Over a career, Fleetwood might win one but I think this is less likely.

phillarrow

Visit site
Is a 'next' English golf star really important (genuine question!)?

As someone who is not English, the English-centric views of supporters & commentators of, say Golf, Tennis, Athletics, is quite often amusing. For example, Andy Murray's achievements as a British sportsman somewhat (in my view!) undervalued to the extent I think had he been English he would be much more beloved. The same, perhaps, of Rory. They're celebrated as a British achievement, yes, but often times it's apparent the love given for Tim Henman (when he played) and Rose or Westwood is significantly more. But the sports mentioned aren't really just English or Scottish in the same way as football or rugby, so should should being English / Scottish / Welsh / N. Irish / Irish really matter - would it not be better just to have a Major winner or number 1 from these shores.

In terms of the question, an English Major winner is much more likely. There's a conveyor belt of USA players now, more athletic and primed for Tour than ever before. From a European perspective, potential English superstars seem pretty limited (too late for Bland!).

Hatton is the most likely English player in my view to win a Major. Over a career, Fleetwood might win one but I think this is less likely.

Good points here, but I think you've missed the point about Murray v Henman - probably because you're not English so you're not quite up to speed with the curious mindset of the English sporting public. ;)

Henman was loved BECAUSE he lost! Murray is admired but not loved BECAUSE he actually won stuff. It's not because he's Scottish, it's because Murray didn't read the rule book! (Same applies to Rory.)

In the modern world, Brits/English are meant to be good but not great. They are meant to fall at the last hurdle, be plucky underdogs, overachieve compared with their natural talent whilst not actually achieving anything. Or, they can be brilliant and successful, but they have to be flawed, thus allowing us to hate them while they are winning, but then love them in retrospect as flawed geniuses and pretend that we never really hated them.

What they are not supposed to do is actually win stuff repeatedly! That's just not British! ;)

D

Deleted member 29109

Good points here, but I think you've missed the point about Murray v Henman - probably because you're not English so you're not quite up to speed with the curious mindset of the English sporting public. ;)

Henman was loved BECAUSE he lost! Murray is admired but not loved BECAUSE he actually won stuff. It's not because he's Scottish, it's because Murray didn't read the rule book! (Same applies to Rory.)

In the modern world, Brits/English are meant to be good but not great. They are meant to fall at the last hurdle, be plucky underdogs, overachieve compared with their natural talent whilst not actually achieving anything. Or, they can be brilliant and successful, but they have to be flawed, thus allowing us to hate them while they are winning, but then love them in retrospect as flawed geniuses and pretend that we never really hated them.

What they are not supposed to do is actually win stuff repeatedly! That's just not British! ;)

One of them had a bit of personality. The other was Andy Murray.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wonder how this will play out long term. The US collegiate system seems to be pumping new players out tour ready, even if they need a few years on a satellite tour to break through. Have we got the same? We seem to have players plying their trade all the way through to the challenge tour or go through the ET tour school but do we have the same success rate of producing young players (English in particular but you could expand that) as the US system and if not how do we change it so the next generation coming through are as good a the same stage as their US counter-parts