New WHS start

Visit site
As yet I've never had a handicap and I'm restarting after a very long period away from the sport.

The new WHS seems to indicate that 8 out of 20 scores are to count. Obviously the old way was 54 holes etc. Does this mean I now need to record at least 8 full rounds of golf to even get started for a handicap? That could take me a long time, possibly more than 12 months.

Or is there a quicker starting point?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As yet I've never had a handicap and I'm restarting after a very long period away from the sport.

The new WHS seems to indicate that 8 out of 20 scores are to count. Obviously the old way was 54 holes etc. Does this mean I now need to record at least 8 full rounds of golf to even get started for a handicap? That could take me a long time, possibly more than 12 months.

There is an initial start point of 54 holes ( 3 x 18, 6 x9 or a mix) to get an initial handicap index.
If you do it before November it will with a CONGU handicap which will be converted to a H.I. in November.

The biggest thing to note is that it will not be the best 8 until you have 20 but a increasing scale the more scores you add. You can expect your handicap index to jump all over the place until you get a reasonable of scores in.

It does not need to take a long time . If you preregister your intention you can submit a score for handicap purposes every time you play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

1598626518935.png