New Technology

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having just come back to the agme after 5 or so years off I am curious as to how much benefit has been gained from technology.

I have recently been custom fitted for new irons, but these have not arrived yet, so I have not used them on the course in anger. They appeared much better than my 13 year old clubs on the range, but the real test is the course.

Have any of you guys who have played during this period, or even longer noticed gains through technology, or is this just manufacturers hype to sell products?

B

birdieman

5 years isn't so long (2003), ball technology has moved on a little, driver technology has also moved on a little, as for irons and putters I don't think they've changed at all in a long time.
Manufacturers need to sell gear to make money, we are all sucked in by technology but few of us have seen significant improvements in our handicaps to back up the claims of the golf companies or merit the investment in so called better equipment.
There is huge amounts of BS in the golf retail sector I'm afraid.

I think the biggest improvements have been in clothing -there are great warm yet lightweight and breathable fabrics available now that keep you comfortable in all weathers.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I re took up the game last summer, I was playing with a complete set of old tech stuff....the most modern club was my driver (250cc Great Big Bertha) and my Odyssey putter.

I've changed all my clubs now and definately feel that across the range they are all superior. The irons are sweeter, more forgiving and go further (although that mostly a loft thing). The driver is much better for off-centre strikes and using a hybrid seems much more reliable off the fairway.

I'm sold on the new kit.....but mine was very old.....changing every season is not going to make any difference i.m.o.

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seems like there is a slight difference.
I'm not really talking about changing every season. My old irons were 13 years old and non custom fit. My new irons have now been custom fit, so the difference could have been the fit or the technology. I'll know for sure when they arrive (Still 3 weeks to go!).

My driver at the moment is the Taylor Made 320ti (conforming version) that I had before I stopped playing 5 years ago.
I'm currently happy with it, can hit it pretty straight and roughly 240 yards (flat, no wind).

That in mind I am wondering will changing to something like a G10 provide any benefit? If it would I would consider doing so, but if not I'll save my money.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
easiest thing is to do the rounds of all the outlets trying everything, say your not sure and will need to come back, for as long as a) they'll let you and b) it takes to make your mind up but straight(ish) 240 doesn't sound bad to me.