New Shotscope X5

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I found out recently that you can pause the round, which is not something that was obvious at all to me. If you're on a tracking mode, hold the top left button and then you'll get the option to pause. You can then start your round as soon as you arrive at the course, pause, and then do all the warming up you want, without having to worry about it timing out on the course selection screen etc.
I sonetimes use this feature, but usually forget its on until I'm walking down the fairway.
I usually connect to the course when i get there and just warm up. It seems to know that im not on the actual course, so does not save the shots on the watch.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Well first round was full of issues. Missed several shots and crashed twice. I’ve got a ticket into the support team so will see what they say.

I’m also surprised that the club on the watch face shows the tag id and not the linked club. I.e. my 3 hybrid shows as h1 not h3. This sounds trivial but I’m using a 7 hybrid and a 7 iron over the winter so the tags will be misaligned in my set. I’ve fed that back to them too.
What do you mean by misaligned? If you are using the same tag for 2 clubs (eg h1 for 3 hybrid during the summer and 7 wood during the winter), you will need to allocate the 7 wood to the h1 club before you use it. You will then get 2 lots of stats, one for each club. They will appear in different colours so you can identify which club is which

Teebs

Visit site
X5 arrived this afternoon, new software downloaded and old V3 tags replaced with the new versions (which do seem a better design)

Looks to be a step on in terms of quality, hope get a round in tomorrow evening.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
What do you mean by misaligned? If you are using the same tag for 2 clubs (eg h1 for 3 hybrid during the summer and 7 wood during the winter), you will need to allocate the 7 wood to the h1 club before you use it. You will then get 2 lots of stats, one for each club. They will appear in different colours so you can identify which club is which
If I’m using my H1 tag for my 3 hybrid. It would be great if it said H3 instead oh H1.

it’s not about swapping club. I Carry both a 7iron and a 7 hybrid which replaces my 6 iron. I only have one #7 tag so I will have to randomly use one of the 2 spares. This spare will show on the watch and it would be much better to show H7.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve been pretty critical of the X5 due to the connection issues I’ve faced (essentially cannot sync courses or download firmware updates) and despite suggestions from support they’re now at a point where unless there is an update to the mobile app (final test) the watch will have to go back. Issue with this is that there are no units in stock so I’ll be waiting quite some time for a replacement.

Anyway, decided that at the very least I would give the watch a go last night for the first time, even if I cannot download the data I thought I’d be interesting to see how the watch works and whether it is worth even perservering with given the connection problems. So firstly I got to the course, start the watch searching for the course and was expecting a wait given other feedback and was pleasantly surprised to find it found the course within 30 seconds of asking. I have a SkyCaddie LX5 and even that has times where it takes a good couple of minutes to find a course so that was a good start.

I had previously tested all the tags at home so knew that they could be found by the watch and whilst on course it recognised each club instantly and I loved the fact that I didn’t have to tag. I was amongst the first to use GameGolf back in the day and also had SS’s H4 and the thing I could never manage to build into a pre-shot routine was the tagging. I would just forget and then I’d make too much effort to remember and it would just affect my game. The X5 didn’t miss a single shot and I barely bothered about the shot tracking side and it just worked.

Having finished the round and got home I decided to download the data, fully expecting the worst and it connected and downloaded first time. I have no idea why this is as it’s never managed it with updates or course syncing however I’m not going to complain. I guess for the time being, assuming this wasn’t beginners luck, I will carry on updating the firmware with my PC and hope that the watch carries on managing to sync rounds as it did last night.

The only question I have is that I use manual putting and there were a number of times I would putt from off the green. What is the best practice for recording these shots given my putter doesn’t have a tag, do you have to remember annd edit in the round after?

Teebs

Visit site
First round with the X5 was a disaster. Missed 7 holes of the front 9 (no data at all) and the back 9 the screen just reverted to a 2 putt on every green. Software all upto date.

It's going back next week for a refund.

Teebs

Visit site
First round with the X5 was a disaster. Missed 7 holes of the front 9 (no data at all) and the back 9 the screen just reverted to a 2 putt on every green. Software all upto date.

It's going back next week for a refund.

Might have been a little harsh on the above.

Turns our it did record the front 9 ok (apart from hole #9 being slightly off) and it asked me after hole #9 if I wanted to continue the round (we have 3 separately named 9 holes) - I think it's continued to give GPS only data for holes 10-18 hence the pin collect screen defaulting to 2 putts per green.

I've checked and there is a named 18 holes for the normal 1-18, so will give that a go next time..

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve been pretty critical of the X5 due to the connection issues I’ve faced (essentially cannot sync courses or download firmware updates) and despite suggestions from support they’re now at a point where unless there is an update to the mobile app (final test) the watch will have to go back. Issue with this is that there are no units in stock so I’ll be waiting quite some time for a replacement.

Anyway, decided that at the very least I would give the watch a go last night for the first time, even if I cannot download the data I thought I’d be interesting to see how the watch works and whether it is worth even perservering with given the connection problems. So firstly I got to the course, start the watch searching for the course and was expecting a wait given other feedback and was pleasantly surprised to find it found the course within 30 seconds of asking. I have a SkyCaddie LX5 and even that has times where it takes a good couple of minutes to find a course so that was a good start.

I had previously tested all the tags at home so knew that they could be found by the watch and whilst on course it recognised each club instantly and I loved the fact that I didn’t have to tag. I was amongst the first to use GameGolf back in the day and also had SS’s H4 and the thing I could never manage to build into a pre-shot routine was the tagging. I would just forget and then I’d make too much effort to remember and it would just affect my game. The X5 didn’t miss a single shot and I barely bothered about the shot tracking side and it just worked.

Having finished the round and got home I decided to download the data, fully expecting the worst and it connected and downloaded first time. I have no idea why this is as it’s never managed it with updates or course syncing however I’m not going to complain. I guess for the time being, assuming this wasn’t beginners luck, I will carry on updating the firmware with my PC and hope that the watch carries on managing to sync rounds as it did last night.

The only question I have is that I use manual putting and there were a number of times I would putt from off the green. What is the best practice for recording these shots given my putter doesn’t have a tag, do you have to remember annd edit in the round after?
I tagged mine against the strap from off the green and it registered I had putter in hand. As it crashed twice on the way around I’ve no idea what it looked like

Yorkhacker

Visit site
If I’m using my H1 tag for my 3 hybrid. It would be great if it said H3 instead oh H1.

it’s not about swapping club. I Carry both a 7iron and a 7 hybrid which replaces my 6 iron. I only have one #7 tag so I will have to randomly use one of the 2 spares. This spare will show on the watch and it would be much better to show H7.
I think you're misunderstanding how the tags work. They are static, so only show on the watch what is written on them. They do not receive any information from the shotscope app, they just send info to the watch.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think you're misunderstanding how the tags work. They are static, so only show on the watch what is written on them. They do not receive any information from the shotscope app, they just send info to the watch.
Yes, but it would be nice, as in this case, if the watch had the same equivalence table as the app (maybe it already does - it certainly isnt technically complex for it to have it), and display the club assigned the tag, rather than just the tag label. Why not both ?

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Yes, but it would be nice, as in this case, if the watch had the same equivalence table as the app (maybe it already does - it certainly isnt technically complex for it to have it), and display the club assigned the tag, rather than just the tag label. Why not both ?
But that would mean the tag would have to be a receiver as well as a transmitter, and you'd have to have a way of getting the info onto the tag. Far too complicated and would add to the cost imho. Each to their own though

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m not misunderstanding it at all mate but the they claim it is a smart watch. It’s not much code to take what has been registered via the app against the tag and transfer it to the watch to be translated.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
But that would mean the tag would have to be a receiver as well as a transmitter, and you'd have to have a way of getting the info onto the tag. Far too complicated and would add to the cost imho. Each to their own though
It wouldnt mean that. The watch only needs the assignment table. Detect X1, display 7 Hybrid.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
It wouldnt mean that. The watch only needs the assignment table. Detect X1, display 7 Hybrid.
Yep and not to get too geeky on York but it is a one line piece of code as you say.

If [tag ID] = “H1” Then display = H3.

They can hard code a long list of generic display IDs easily.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Fair enough. But why do you actually need reminding what club you hit 30 seconds ago. You can argue its a smart watch, but theres a limit to how smart it needs to be

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Fair enough. But why do you actually need reminding what club you hit 30 seconds ago. You can argue its a smart watch, but theres a limit to how smart it needs to be
Really don’t know why you’re arguing against such a simple suggestion now like 😂. Basically they’ve added a step counter that have been around for decades and called it a smart watch. In human terms it’s the equivalent to someone just being able to remember their debit card pin but not know how to use the cash machine.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Really don’t know why you’re arguing against such a simple suggestion now like 😂. Basically they’ve added a step counter that have been around for decades and called it a smart watch. In human terms it’s the equivalent to someone just being able to remember their debit card pin but not know how to use the cash machine.
And i dont know why you're arguing in favour of something that is totally unnecessary 😂. Its called a difference of opinion that's all.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well, I have some moans!

I had it on, but shutdown, at the range recently. Finished hitting balls and the watch was on and thought I'd been playing a round at a local course for the previous 20 mins. Controls just aren't very good.

Plus the classic golf industry blind spot - women play golf, who knew? Too many courses that don't have women's pars set up, stats/benchmarks not disaggregated by gender etc.

ShotScope are very active on the American forum, Hackers Paradise (not sure if I'm allowed to mention other forums!), they respond to suggestions etc and will build things into future updates if enough ask.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
They are pretty helpful over email.
They are just very busy. Took them a week to get back to me. My issue of the app crashing is a known issue they are working on.

It crashed again after 4 holes but I stuck it on gps and track without scoring and it didn’t crash again. Was intending to do it from the start but pressed the wrong button and didn’t have time to exit the round and reload.