New Shotscope X5

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ll bow down to the actual designer and their reasoning is probably down to waterproofing the tech inside.

Teebs

Visit site
Bit the bullet and ordered the X5 in "midnight blue".
Figured i can sell my old V3 and tags for £75/£80 so the cost to upgrade is very little..

Very little info on the new and "improved" tags..

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
… was able to give my X5 a try for the first time.

I’m pretty impressed, …

Second go with the X5 today and first time with it in a medal on the Eden. I am much less impressed.

The watched crashed between 2nd green and 3rd tee.

By the time it had rebooted and acquired GPS again I’d missed most of the 3rd hole.

I then drove the 4th green, dead centre front pin position. But according to the shotscope I’ve putted from off the green back right, where I left my bag.

5th hole I stuffed it right into gorse. Hit a provisonal. I now have no idea what the shotscope is doing but I found my ball and had to chip out before getting on to the green, it’s missed a wedge shot.

I putted out there but before I could record the pin position the watch had moved itself on to the 6th hole tee?

My round then fell apart on the 7th. Snap hooked left out of bounds with two balls. Playing 5 off the tee and when putting out I go to record my putts again and the watch face brushes against my cuff and moves on to the 8th tee.

8th tee was another snap hook left, because of course it is, but that shot is completely missing.

9th hole. It’s a miracle! This is the first hole since the 2nd where it’s got things right!

Anyway the rest of my round continues pretty miserably and the back nine is a mix of unreliable data especially around the greens. The touchscreen is not great and the lock/unlock behaviour when I’m holding my putter is easily messed up by accidental “presses” that were actually my jacket or jumper cuff.

I don’t feel like this is a device I can trust in play at all. And now I’m left with two partial rounds because of it crashing that I can’t easily merge? The editing in the app to add the shots and penalties is not fun either, it’s a horrible interface.

I’ll give it a few more tries but if this is going to be the general experience it’s getting binned.

Teebs

Visit site
Presume you have the putter tag installed? If so, I would personally remove and use the manual function to record the data. I've found it more reliable on the V3 watch and I worry less about getting strange readings around the green complex.

Might also be helpful to wear the watch on the outside of clothing, whether it's a jacket, jumper etc...

Hacky

Visit site
My ’mid-night blue‘ X5 arrived today ordered via Affordable Golf. First impressions coming from someone who has never owned a shot scope device before and from a possible impulse purchase: nice feel and size to the watch, but why the hell is the strap clasp back to front and the charging port something from the 90’s (surely it should be usbc to match everything else in todays mobile device world). Watch now on charge and will set it all set up in prep for a round on Monday

Teebs

Visit site
The strap is like that to pick up the club tags, you'll get used to it!

It's a great system, I'm really happy with ShotScope

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
My ’mid-night blue‘ X5 arrived today ordered via Affordable Golf. First impressions coming from someone who has never owned a shot scope device before and from a possible impulse purchase: nice feel and size to the watch, but why the hell is the strap clasp back to front and the charging port something from the 90’s (surely it should be usbc to match everything else in todays mobile device world). Watch now on charge and will set it all set up in prep for a round on Monday
For what in seen of the charging part, it’s probably to keep it more waterproof.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Second go with the X5 today and first time with it in a medal on the Eden. I am much less impressed.

The watched crashed between 2nd green and 3rd tee.

By the time it had rebooted and acquired GPS again I’d missed most of the 3rd hole.

I then drove the 4th green, dead centre front pin position. But according to the shotscope I’ve putted from off the green back right, where I left my bag.

5th hole I stuffed it right into gorse. Hit a provisonal. I now have no idea what the shotscope is doing but I found my ball and had to chip out before getting on to the green, it’s missed a wedge shot.

I putted out there but before I could record the pin position the watch had moved itself on to the 6th hole tee?

My round then fell apart on the 7th. Snap hooked left out of bounds with two balls. Playing 5 off the tee and when putting out I go to record my putts again and the watch face brushes against my cuff and moves on to the 8th tee.

8th tee was another snap hook left, because of course it is, but that shot is completely missing.

9th hole. It’s a miracle! This is the first hole since the 2nd where it’s got things right!

Anyway the rest of my round continues pretty miserably and the back nine is a mix of unreliable data especially around the greens. The touchscreen is not great and the lock/unlock behaviour when I’m holding my putter is easily messed up by accidental “presses” that were actually my jacket or jumper cuff.

I don’t feel like this is a device I can trust in play at all. And now I’m left with two partial rounds because of it crashing that I can’t easily merge? The editing in the app to add the shots and penalties is not fun either, it’s a horrible interface.

I’ll give it a few more tries but if this is going to be the general experience it’s getting binned.
Any further updates to report?

Teebs

Visit site
My launch X5 should be here in the next 2 weeks or so. Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out by then

Teebs

Visit site
Any further deliveries or reviews of the X5? Hopefully mine should land next week or the week after..

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Mine came on Tuesday. Was supposed to be on an Aimpoint course today, followed by 18 holes using my new X5 and Ping G430 driver for the first time.
Aimpoint and golf cancelled due to thr weather 🌧️🌧️. Try again tomorrow

For anyone new to Shotscope, I would advise sticking some kind of silicone pad on each of the tags as the numbers on them rub off fairly quickly (couple of years for mine) making them difficult to identify. Its not a problem until you take them all of at the same time and then cant identify the clubs they came from! Will also make the gadget easier to sell in the future