New Rules - what are you for and against?

D

Deleted member 16999

see post 101
I did read that, but surely if all fairway was closer to the pin than were they went oob or lost a ball, the only option would be 3 off the tee or stroke and distance.
I don’t believe the R&A or USGA would of even considered that rule if they thought Clubs would have to produce areas of fairway height in all circumstances.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did read that, but surely if all fairway was closer to the pin than were they went oob or lost a ball, the only option would be 3 off the tee or stroke and distance.
I don’t believe the R&A or USGA would of even considered that rule if they thought Clubs would have to produce areas of fairway height in all circumstances.

As I said in post 101 the view is that it could only be brought in holes where the rule can be met unless the course is modified. We felt very strongly that this would lead to a lot of 'confusion' and probably a lot of abuse by players who do not fully read the rules and to which holes it would apply, to hence our decision not to have the rule anyway. The view was that what players do in swindles and in casual games (re the rules) is not a concern to the club.

brfcfan

Visit site
I will pretty much be leaving the flag in on all downhill putts unless it leans excessively towards me.

I can see this causing time delays but those are the new rules and as such I will be using that to my advantage when I can.

I will also be happy if they were to revert this rule back to the way it was. It time they may do that once there is a year or two of faffing about with flags on the green.
We had a wee discussion about this today while walking around the links.

It's only days away until some fairly "interesting" changes come into play.

I'm liking the fact that I will be able to tap down and fix spike marks, scrapes and imperfections on the putting surface, I think this rule has been a long time in coming and is a good positive move.

I can live with putting out with the flag stick still in and we did this a few times today and we agreed that it actually probably is quicker doing this. No farting about with tending the flag, "I want it left in" - "I want it tended" - "Can you stand the other side please" it actually works well.

I'm pretty sure the "drop" instead of going back to the tee will be fairly widely abused. Not convinced it's a good rule. Then again if it is designed to speed up play I guess it ultimately will do that.

Only 3 minutes to look for a ball. We have all heard the argument that if the ball isn't found in that timescale then it's unlikely you are going to find it etc etc. I think the biggest problem is ettiquette in this rule, I've played numerous times when you or a member of the group sprays one offline and one of the playing partners always says "I didn't see it". I don't get this.

This 3 minute rule will still be abused as much as the current 5 minutes is at present.

My biggest question and criticism is the double hit. For me that is still a penalty. You have struck your ball twice, it's two shots. We've all done it and hopefully all called it on ourselves. Can't work out why that is not still a penalty.

What "new" rules are you happy with or not so happy with?

Happy with most rules except

1. Not having to declare to playing partners you are lifting and identifying, cheats will prosper with this rule!
2. Still cannot believe you are not allowed a drop from a divot on the fairway!
3. Flag rule does not save time IMO, people with downhill putts will want the flag left in, will only result in more delays and ill feeling IMO

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the new rules

Flag in only thing that concerns me is a blind green. Before you are looking for the flag to be back in before firing at the green just wondering will people assume the green is clear because they can see the flag

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the new rules

Flag in only thing that concerns me is a blind green. Before you are looking for the flag to be back in before firing at the green just wondering will people assume the green is clear because they can see the flag

That’s a fair point and the 1st time I have given it any consideration. We have a hole that is a dogleg and driveable going over the top. You can generally see the flag when middle ish to front from the tee through the trees. Those going for it always fire when they can see the flag is vertical

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interested to know if those claiming leaving flag in won't save time have actually tried it.

We did this last week, informally, and definitely does things up on the green

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interested to know if those claiming leaving flag in won't save time have actually tried it.

2 of our four ball wanted to do it the “old fashioned way” felt a waste of time

Should have just left the flag in. No need to have someone attend it for each person.. adds least a min every green id say

Visit site
2 of our four ball wanted to do it the “old fashioned way” felt a waste of time

Should have just left the flag in. No need to have someone attend it for each person.. adds least a min every green id say

And this is where it will end up with ill feeling towards those who want to do, (as you say but hasn’t officially started yet) the old fashioned way.
It will end up I’m not playing with them in the medal as they take the pin out all the time!
Glad We don’t have blind 2nd shots into greens like you stated earlier! Flags in, are they putting, or have they left the green? Can we go, yeah, ok, balls fired in the air, flag is being taken out, oh shite!!!!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And this is where it will end up with ill feeling towards those who want to do, (as you say but hasn’t officially started yet) the old fashioned way.
It will end up I’m not playing with them in the medal as they take the pin out all the time!
Glad We don’t have blind 2nd shots into greens like you stated earlier! Flags in, are they putting, or have they left the green? Can we go, yeah, ok, balls fired in the air, flag is being taken out, oh shite!!!!!

And like the Murphy's......

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I like the new rules

Good point - never thought of that!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the lost ball ruling is open to abuse as there's not always a reference point, you carve one deep into the bushes a quick glance and walk to the fairway, why would you want to hit a provisional or find the original? at least with OOB more often than not you've got reasonable crossing point.

I'll be putting with the flag out as pretty much as I have been doing just not having it tended when I can't see the hole at, at least that's the plan!

There was guy at SHGC who had a 5min egg timer in his bag for searches I wonder if he's got himself a new one.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I like the new rules

It's not really any different to what happens now though is it.

You either wait till you you see the people leaving the green, appearing as they head to the next tee, or they shout that the green is clear. Also most blind holes that I have played have a bell to indicate that it's safe to play.

Failing that you walk forward and look like you also currently do at "blind" shots, even if it was only for an indication as to where the flag is.

No need to wash my hair in the old "boggers" either, just a bit of common sense needs to be applied.

👍⛳

D

Deleted member 15344

We have been doing for years over the winter - doesn’t save any time at all

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We have been doing for years over the winter - doesn’t save any time at all
Surely if you play ready golf it must do, especially if you are playing a two ball ? Partner chips out of a bunker close to hole, and you are on the green 50 feet away. You can putt up without having to wait for partner to, rake bunker, faff around getting trolley round to right place, get putter out etc. You can even start looking at your watch to put partner under pressure.:eek:

If one of my regular partners, or Phil asks for pin to be attended from 50 feet, I will tell him where it can put the pin.:)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely if you play ready golf it must do, especially if you are playing a two ball ? Partner chips out of a bunker close to hole, and you are on the green 50 feet away. You can putt up without having to wait for partner to, rake bunker, faff around getting trolley round to right place, get putter out etc. You can even start looking at your watch to put partner under pressure.:eek:

If one of my regular partners, or Phil asks for pin to be attended from 50 feet, I will tell him where it can put the pin.:)

This, we noticed we were considerably quicker on the greens playing ready golf leaving the flag in.

However I accept it will take time for people to get used to it and "want" to play it. That is going to be the biggest hurdle.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Whilst you will no longer be penalised for hitting the flag, it's still 2 strokes if you hit his ball (in the example you give)...the number of times I've been playing where there was any delay waiting for someone to attend the stick who wasn't also marking their ball is extremely low, but does happen.
Then again it's more common to have someone mark a putt within a foot - and then go through a move the marker cycle (both ways obviously)
Yes, there will be times when it is useful and saves time, but only time will tell whether it ends up saving time overall (and all the references to impromptu trials in knockabouts dont really have relevance in that context).

I really hope it's a win win situation; I'm sure there will be plenty of posts if it isn't 🤔