New Rules - what are you for and against?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
When the WHS comes in and the rest of the world uses this local rule, will CONGU ( or whoever is in charge) have to agree to have it available?
It would be strange if there are, effectively, 2 sets of handicapping rules when the idea is to get everyone under the same umbrella.
Nope. In the same way as CONGU have set rules for the scores to count that are not reflected in other areas. There will be more than 2 versions of those as well.
The key points are that the principle elements and calculation routines are a constant - all the other bits relate purely to the integrity of the output handicap index (which because it's statistically based anyway will have inherent deviation elements.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What is going to happen with flag tending?

I don't really like doing it atm as usually I would rather be looking at my putt than having to stand by a flag.

Now it doesn't matter if the ball hits the flag, I assume flag tending won't happen anymore?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure on this one either, is it a case of the flag being in or the flag being out? What do you say if someone says they want it tended?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What is going to happen with flag tending?

I don't really like doing it atm as usually I would rather be looking at my putt than having to stand by a flag.

Now it doesn't matter if the ball hits the flag, I assume flag tending won't happen anymore?
Rules on flag tending haven't changed. You can still have it tended but, as before, it must come out of the hole. Penalty still applicable for hitting flag...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure on this one either, is it a case of the flag being in or the flag being out? What do you say if someone says they want it tended?

With you on that. I won't be tending any flag, the 3rd person in my group can do it if they like but I'll be saying sorry you can have it in or out.

D

Deleted member 15344

With you on that. I won't be tending any flag, the 3rd person in my group can do it if they like but I'll be saying sorry you can have it in or out.

Sorry but you can’t give players the choice of in or out if the rules allow the player to have the flag tended - what will you do in a Matchplay scenario when the player wants it tended ? You can’t just say no when he is entitled for it to be tended

I don’t like the flag in the hole so it’s out or from a distance it’s attended and we have been doing the flag in over winter for years now

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Still confused about flag tending.

Is there a rule saying you have to do it if asked? If there is no rule then you can just say no, it is either in or out

D

Deleted member 16999

Still confused about flag tending.

Is there a rule saying you have to do it if asked? If there is no rule then you can just say no, it is either in or out
It’s covered under ettiquette, so no you don’t have to attend if asked, but I’d suggest the company wouldn’t be up for much if you refused.
Why would you attend it today and not on tuesday, the flag in or out is the choice of the person playing the shot, another choice they have is to ask you to attend it.
You’ve always had the choice to refuse.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hence why I said I won't be doing it. In or out is a perfectly valid and reasonable choice.

Let's get golf sub 3 hours.

👍👍👍⏱️

Homer

Visit site
If some demented, scheming arch-villain had wanted to cause as much confusion as possible in the game of golf then they couldn't have done a much better job than the 2019 revisions and poor communication of the same.

Really - I think they make much more sense when put all together?

D

Deleted member 16999

Just count the number of threads and posts asking for clarification on the various changes.
I’d turn that around and say that’s a positive, changes coming in, more have got involved and at least attempted to become more aware of the rules. In our Club for example a lot of rule myths and historical (made up) local rules have been exposed and challenged.

Homer

Visit site
The Rules of Golf sadly do not account for the general incompetence of golfers.

Read them and you might find you learn something. Most golfers don’t understand the current Rules so i don’t think the changes will make much different to their understanding unless they make some attempt to look at them.