New Rules - what are you for and against?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For EG & Congu to outlaw the Lost-ball/OOB possibility without trying it, to at least find out how it would go, is for me a real shame & lost opportunity of really speeding up the game with, perhaps, little impact on H/caps.
It would also have really supported the 3min search time as its far easier to say to a fellow competitor, after they've clearly had their 3mins "I think you'll be dropping around about here!!"..... rather than.... "I think your time's up"

D

Deleted member 23270

It is still a 2 shot penalty though, that is quite a hit. If your 2nd shot is actually shot no 4 that is quite a bit of damage on that hole.
Yes but if you play 3 off the tee then your next shot further down the fairway is also your 4th shot so no difference. However, you could be playing 5, 7 or more off the tee and your handicap will be based on that wayward driving ability. Although I'm not sure how this would tie in with the nett double bogey rule which is really why I'm questioning this new rule.

D

Deleted member 21258

Yes but if you play 3 off the tee then your next shot further down the fairway is also your 4th shot so no difference. However, you could be playing 5, 7 or more off the tee and your handicap will be based on that wayward driving ability. Although I'm not sure how this would tie in with the nett double bogey rule which is really why I'm questioning this new rule.

Handicap is based on stableford as you say, so whether you are dropping down the fairway or off the tee, there is a good chance that the handicap adjustment will be the same whether you are 3,5,7 off the tee or down the fairway. Yeah for medals maybe the winner could benefit but the current rules someone 'made up' and people comply with. Just change the rule and people comply with that. There are people who dont like change for whatever reason, but I only see this rule as a positive change really and one that when I first starting playing never really understood why it was stroke and distance off the tee (I appreciate the area to be dropped could be abused, but within reason this is not going to cause any problems)

I agree with 2Blue, a real shame this has not been brought in I think, hopefully it will come in next time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can still have the flag tended can’t you?

Yes - but if you have it attended it must taken out before the ball reaches the hole and if the ball strikes the flagstick left in the hole it is a penalty.

Similarly having decided to have the flagstick taken out you cannot change your mind once the ball is in motion.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone actually got a timer on their trolley for 5 mins / 3mins .
Push button when search starts buzzer after set time .
Would save a lot of arguing as some players deffo abuse this timing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes - but if you have it attended it must taken out before the ball reaches the hole and if the ball strikes the flagstick DELIBERATELY left in the hole it is a penalty.

Similarly having decided to have the flagstick taken out you cannot change your mind once the ball is in motion.

Just tidied that up for you. 👍

TheDork

Visit site

I have never seen nor heard of a single player in my life looking at a watch at the start of a search and end of one, every time over the course of a few decades, the 5 minutes has always been assumed, strange but true.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ive a timer on my Motocaddy trolley, always set it if looking for a ball, 5 mins is always longer than you think.... 3 isn't though;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate lights a cigarette and if he has not found it by the time he finishes that’s it.
He seems to puff harder when it’s my ball.

I am surprised some form of timer isn’t compulsory.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not got a timer but I will make a look at my watch when we're in the vicinity and let the PP know when they've had what I'd consider four minutes and suggest he hasn't long left. I'll simply let them know in 2019 when I think 3 minutes is over.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ive a timer on my Motocaddy trolley, always set it if looking for a ball, 5 mins is always longer than you think.... 3 isn't though;)

Same, after a couple of contentious issues over the past couple of years I've taken to timing it either on trolley or phone.

Strangely some people's estimation of time seems to differ depending on whose ball they're looking for! :unsure:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, you are quite right. Brain fade.

Visit site
my only thought re the flag is that there will only be less time/faffing spent if everybody in the group is all out or all in. say all in a 4ball are within 10 feet and the first to putt wants it out, then the second wants it back in, third out, and fourth in, think this will lead to more or at least the same as presently.

Next it will be, can you draw players out by flag in or out preference!!!!! 🙄 I can’t see it changing myself, and I for one won’t be changing in my having the flag out, I want the hole to be the maximum size not make it smaller, but like I said earlier there must be some dead eye dicks, or they’ve been reading dechambeau’s scientific theory in leaving the flag in.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Next it will be, can you draw players out by flag in or out preference!!!!! 🙄 I can’t see it changing myself, and I for one won’t be changing in my having the flag out, I want the hole to be the maximum size not make it smaller, but like I said earlier there must be some dead eye dicks, or they’ve been reading dechambeau’s scientific theory in leaving the flag in.
To be fair, and I don't said this before, when I play solo I always leave the flag in as it gives me a smaller target to aim at and I know that if I get the pace right and hitnthe flag then the ball will probably drop.
A bit like using small holes on the practice green - makes the hole seem bigger out on the course and focusses the view.
I'm going to be a bit half and half depending on the particular green.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same, after a couple of contentious issues over the past couple of years I've taken to timing it either on trolley or phone.

Strangely some people's estimation of time seems to differ depending on whose ball they're looking for! :unsure:

I played with a pro earlier this year and was interested to hear his thoughts. If he was playing in a tournament he would start to time looking for a ball, his view was, they are playing for more money than us and the guy looking for his ball could ultimately beat him.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For EG & Congu to outlaw the Lost-ball/OOB possibility without trying it, to at least find out how it would go, is for me a real shame & lost opportunity of really speeding up the game with, perhaps, little impact on H/caps.
It would also have really supported the 3min search time as its far easier to say to a fellow competitor, after they've clearly had their 3mins "I think you'll be dropping around about here!!"..... rather than.... "I think your time's up"
Seems most clubs weren't going to adopt it anyway, mine wasn't, so this just keeps everyone the same. Good move by CONGU imo

D

Deleted member 16999

Seems most clubs weren't going to adopt it anyway, mine wasn't, so this just keeps everyone the same. Good move by CONGU imo
If it had been brought in as a RoG rather than a “Local Rule” choice CONGU would of had to accepted it.
I’m on the fence with it to be honest, I could see some positivity in it.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens when we move to the WHS.