New Rules - what are you for and against?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things I like about the new drop rule is that it makes aiming for a precise spot a little easier and the ball is much more likely to stay on the chosen spot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It should be remembered that repairing damage to a green does come with the requirement that it does not unduly delay play and the 40 second guideline should be used.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It's interesting that the spike mark worry comes up so often. I've never played with anyone that fussy about greens. I don't expect that to change.

For those who expect problems is it mainly low handicappers that are likely to be the guilty ones?
Maybe they are just aware they can't do much at present. I'm pleased about this, quite annoying when there is a big scuff on your line

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
New flag etiquette may be that the first to putt lags up and taps in or marks and then does the flag hokey pokey for everyone else.

Played with this new flag in rule today for a bit of fun. had the flag in for a large amount of the putts.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Fair enough but in a four ball today we certainly noticed we were faster when we didn't much about with the flag. That's a good thing.
I'd already decided I'll be putting nearly every oputt with the flag in, especially the knee knockers. And I appreciate your guys today agreed to trial with the flag in.

However in practice this surely won't be the case? Already for chips/putts just off the green you have a mix of players who want the flag out or in. Going forward this is going to apply for every putt.

I like the change, but I actually think it will slow play down rather than the reverse.

Only rule I don't like is the OOB/Lost ball drop, but as it's now been decreed by CONGU that it's not applicable in competition play, then it's a non issue, indeed basically now a redundant rule.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Like most I didn't agree with the OOB but not relevant to qualifiers so no bothered about it , but rest are grand . Can't see many exactly replacing ball after moving during search tho ,but cheaters will cheat no mater what ..

Will still take flag out for now

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: having the flag in.

I personally believe it is an advantage to leave the flag in, unless it is very windy or flag is leaning towards your ball for some reason.

I will definitely be happy to leave the flag in, especially in cases I would have otherwise had it tended.
I will also be making a point of putting with the flag in if I am first to putt rather than waiting for everyone... especially if someone is playing a chip or bunker shot... as soon as they have played it means I can putt. Even if they are only on the fringe or in another bunker closer to the green.

Personally think it could speed up play a lot. Especially if everyone leaves it in for long / lag putts, then by the time it comes out, you might only have to lay the flag down a few paces from the hole.

Appreciate some people could end up pissing about and asking for the flag to go back in after someone has taken it out, but hopefully most people are happy to speed things up where they can.

I also reckon it would be helpful for the bodies to cicrcuate stats that show putts are more likely to drop with the flag in. I guess these will exist soon enough when the pros start doing it. Personally amazed at pros having the flag out for chip shots or putting from the fringe.

Re: the drop. I believe this is to decrease the likelihood of the ball travelling after the drop and having to make multiple drops before placing. Again, aimed at speeding up play. Don’t have an issue with it and if the drop was always made from knee level, no one would question it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And you can say why would you want the flag in from 35ft...... pedantic

Not sure what is pedantic about it?

From 35 feet away I'd imagine 9/10 people would ask for it to be tended. Therefore just walking up and putting instead of waiting for someone to mark then get the flag surely is advantageous?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hit the flag with 3 15ft putts today , good pace and all stayed out.

I am not sure if it’s a good thing at that distance.
I do think it’s advantageous in certain situations that’s why it was not allowed in the past.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some good, some not bothered some bad.

Searching for a ball and accidentally kicking it good
Embedded ball good, but open should adopt it
Dmds etc in on default good
Spike marks good

Flagstick can live with

Accidentally hitting own ball on green after marking or it moving ok with

Bunker testing sand or accidental is a can of worms similarly anything like that which can lead to intention abuse or arguments

Oob lost ball, good on congu

3 mins not impressed, just tweak and enforce current ettiquette of letting people through

Pick and cheat to id your ball simply a cheaters charter. (Edited to take clean out of well known saying)

Stones in bunkers bad, rethink needed

Dropping change dumb as not fit for said purpose of requiring less drops, drop it on the edge, redrop, place.

Ground club in penalty areas ok with

No lining up ok with

Dropping out of a bunker dont care

Like the pics in players guide book, dont like that half of it says refer to rule book as it makes it pointless.

Last edited:

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
my only thought re the flag is that there will only be less time/faffing spent if everybody in the group is all out or all in. say all in a 4ball are within 10 feet and the first to putt wants it out, then the second wants it back in, third out, and fourth in, think this will lead to more or at least the same as presently.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
my only thought re the flag is that there will only be less time/faffing spent if everybody in the group is all out or all in. say all in a 4ball are within 10 feet and the first to putt wants it out, then the second wants it back in, third out, and fourth in, think this will lead to more or at least the same as presently.
In out sounds like a Hokey Cokey around the hole that can’t be good.

Most low cappers I asked have the flag out as long as they can see the hole and said “can’t see this changing.”
Most high cappers I have asked say they will leave it in.
Maybe that’s just a confidence thing but this Hokey Cokey will happen.

D

Deleted member 23270

Regarding the OOB dropping a ball rule. I think this could have an effect in social play because someone may have a higher handicap due to their driving being poor (based on qualifying rounds) but in social play they can drop a ball up the fairway on holes they struggle on in competitions. So this would result in them getting too many shots for their ability when playing social golf and potentially winning money in swindles etc. Or have I read too much into the situation?? :unsure:

D

Deleted member 16999

Regarding the OOB dropping a ball rule. I think this could have an effect in social play because someone may have a higher handicap due to their driving being poor (based on qualifying rounds) but in social play they can drop a ball up the fairway on holes they struggle on in competitions. So this would result in them getting too many shots for their ability when playing social golf and potentially winning money in swindles etc. Or have I read too much into the situation?? :unsure:
Possibly over thinking it, we’re considering introduceing it as a local rule at our club as an option for use in social golf and societies to use.
It will be down to the golfers themselves whether they use it for social play or in society days.
Don’t forget it can be used for lost balls as well and for visitors it may help.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is still a 2 shot penalty though, that is quite a hit. If your 2nd shot is actually shot no 4 that is quite a bit of damage on that hole.