New Mizuno MP57s

DCB

Visit site
Had a waggle of these today in AG and I'm afraid I started to drool uncontrollably from the corner of my mouth. Very nice looking club, nice top line although possibly a little thicker than the MP30s I've been using. I think I will need to find a range where I can have a smack with these.

Has anyone else tried /used these new beauties? If so what did you think. Has anyone else been ejected from AG for drooling on the carpet? or am I just a sucker for the latest shiny clubs on offer?

DB

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hell yes! the new Wilson Staff pi7 are making me rather aroused! hopefully be playing with them for our group meet!

DCB

Visit site
J_F
I had a close look at the differences between the MP57s and a 2nd hand set of MP30s on the rack. There is certainly a more pronounced cavity on the 57s compared with the 30s. Its consistency with the longer irons that has been my problem. I did get an MP FliHi in a 4 iron option which has been very good so far, so good that I got a 3 iron version, but the jury is still out on that one. I have one of the original flihi 3 irons and it has been a very versatile club indeed. Good off the tee and off the turf. Another option I may well look at would be to replace the MP30 5 iron with the new MP FliHi 5/24° option.

I dabbled with a set of TM LTIIs last year but have gone back to the Mizunos which are a far better club for my game.

Anyway, I'm still a sucker for nice new shiny equipment so.........

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are you playing off DCB?
These look pretty serious irons to me (had a look on the Mizuno website).
I have had 3 sets of Mizuno irons, they are splendid stuff, but for some reason I've always gone back to one of my sets of Tommy Armour (2). Never used anything else in 15 years.

If you are struggling with the long irons (I had trouble with T zoids and TP forged), I fear these won't do the job for you. Don't get me wrong the short irons are as good as they come, but Mizuno don't second guess their customers by throwing in maximum forgiveness 3,4 etc with their simply amazing short irons.
Only my opinion...

Dave

DCB

Visit site
realgolferuk

Currently off 10. Managed to go up just over a stroke this year so it's not been a good time for me recently. Lost confidence and form but was getting back to better form as the season ended.

I've not had a standard 3 iron in the bag for several years, I've been using anoriginal FliHi hybrid to good effect. Recently changed the standard 4 iron to one of the MP FliHis. I may consider changing the 5 iron to the new 27deg FliHi if I like the looks of it. Recent use of the 24 deg 4 iron replacement has been very encouraging.

My aim is to get some hard work done over the winter at the local range and try and get back down to 7-8 which is where I was two years ago. It just needs time and effort on my part.

Anyway, I'll still drool over the MP57s for a while they do look good!

As to the Tommy Armours, I used to have a set of the 855s in the mid 90s. good clubs, they had a slightly larger face than the 844s and served me well for a good few years. Still got them tucked away somewhere. I have a 5 wood from the matching woods which has the head only slightly larger the size of a golf ball!

cheers

DB

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Given that you play off 10 and are happy to use hybrids, I'd say these would actually be a splendid choice.

Apologies for assuming you were an average player.

As I said, the loftier Mizuno irons are the best around. If you aren't going to use the 3 and 4, it would be fine for you. I think you'd be plenty fine with the 5 too!!

Dave