New Member BAD experience

Glenfish

Club Champion
Visit site
Recently my g'friend and I joined our 1st club. We really like it and were v happy until...On Sat we invited a couple of golfing friends to join us for a round, both girls are novices but not too bad but we did need to hurry them a bit now and then. We decided to play 'better ball' to help keep up the game's speed being a saturday.During our round we managed to keep up quite well but did invite 2 2-somes to play through. (As a new member I was almost paranoid about upsetting the regulars)
HOWEVER on the 16th Tee a remote control buggy made its way to the tee as my pal was teeing off, the group behind were arriving at the 15th Green. I thought this Out of Order!

Ignoring the above, we were on the 18th Green playing crucial putts for the game when one of the group behind us shouted at us to Hurry Up!!I was really angry and embarassed in front of our friends.When we finished I waited for him and he was clearly an established member with attitude. I didnt have a go I merely challenged him as to his rudeness, he said I should learn etiquette, I agree with that but said that we are all learners at some time and we try our best, also he could learn to pass on advice in a more civil manner.Cut a long story short I thought he was a rude GIT and a bully, I didnt stand for it and it embarrassed him!!
By the way our round took 4hrs 30mins and we allowed 2 groups through!Your views please as this has upset us.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your views please as this has upset us.

Leave. Just make sure you mention this particular guy as your reason for leaving and that you are leaving for no other reason. If they won't give you the pro-rata share of your fees back threaten a writ, a small claims court and a name and shame on here.

A club where this sort of behaviour is accepted is not worth your business.

There are other clubs

I'm amazed at your tolerance.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
you were right to stand up for yourself, whether he is a regular or not he has no more right to be on the course than you do, your both paying members. By the sounds of it if the course was busy anyway you did absolutely nothing wrong. If I were you I'd just ignore it and forget the whole thing, but if it continues to bug you go and see the club secretary and make your opinion known, nothing will be done of it, but at least your mind will be put at rest as you have alerted the club to the guys arrogance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd make an effort to find out his name and write to the committee explaining that you found his attitude rude and that the women found him threatening (whether they did or not) and ask if that how they expect mew members to be treated.

Explain you had invited two guests and were letting people through all the way round and that the whole episode left you embarrased and your wife in tears. That should shame them into doing something. Sometimes it is the only way these old fashioned members get to learn

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
As a Course Manager I am getting sick and tired of so called established members with bad attitudes thinking they run golf clubs. These people have no idea how businesses are run yet feel they can run the golf club. Let’s face it you were on the 18th patience has been lost, too much is placed on slow play being poor etiquette, its also poor etiquette to rush those in front. You did the right thing by letting groups through if you are holding up play but there are limits.

Believe me, he may be established member, but you are more valuable to the club than he realises. You may be new member but with that comes new revenue. Not only that you are a couple, this is very rare and is actively encouraged by golf clubs, plus ladies UK golf is on a slump at the moment and is also being actively encouraged. Finally you have invited visitors and potential new customers. So all in all I would say you are a very valuable customer indeed. These idiots create more problems than they are worth.

If I was you I would right a polite letter to the Secretary Manager and express your embarrassment.

Don’t let them get you down, it could be worse... you could be a greenkeeper who has to listen to them daily.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think every club has at least one, some muppet who thinks they own the place. Trouble is that at a club near me, the person concerned sort of does. The wife of the owner is renowned for burning round in a buggy harrasing the groups ahead of her. This sort of attitude simply should not be tolerated.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Glen
This guy seems to be a complete knob and his behaviour is inexcusable. However, golf clubs are golf clubs and he may be an ex-captain, have mates on the committee etc. etc.
Probably knows he can throw his weight around and get away with it.

B

birdieman

4 hours 30 is a lonnnngggg time, that's 15 minutes per hole, every hole. Considering tee times are 10 minutes apart you will undoubtedly hold up a lot of groups behind you, even if you let a couple of groups through.

The rude guy shouldn't have shouted but you need to play a bit quicker too, 4 hours should be plenty. :D

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
We just had a total yob banned from the club, he decided the ban was unfair and took 2 of his idiot mates with him.

His offences; cheating in a medal, swearing loudly in the clubhouse, vandalism in the gents, intimidating to other members and staff.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
4 hours 30 is a lonnnngggg time, that's 15 minutes per hole, every hole. Considering tee times are 10 minutes apart you will undoubtedly hold up a lot of groups behind you, even if you let a couple of groups through.

The rude guy shouldn't have shouted but you need to play a bit quicker too, 4 hours should be plenty. :D
I remember golf being a faster game than it is nowadays but I was under the impression that at the weekend, playing in fours, you should expect to take between four and four and a half hours.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do need to write to the committee, no matter who or what he is his actions are unacceptable. You had let people through where you could but it sounds like he was not in a position to play through, he was just expecting you to wait while he played out.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
There's no excuse for the rude behaviour of the guy with the remote buggy. Whether you report him to the committee is your call; as a new member I would just let it go this time.

On the issue of speed of play, 4hrs 30 mins seems like a long time but given that some of your group were novices and that you let two groups through it is probably about the norm these days.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had an experience like this before. However we were playing pretty fast yet the 3 ball behind us hit there balls on to the green while we were putting out, not once, not twice, but three times. On the third time i got an iron out and hit the ball straight back at them.... with my skill it landed nowhere near them but i think they got the picture..... It didn't happen again and all 3 of the lads apologised in the clubhouse after.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com

If its a busy weekend afternoon then 4.5hrs is about right.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Make sure you enter every comp he's in, get paired with him and [****] crush him by the 10th green.
In my one victory since I've played competitive golf, the sweetest thing was giving my lovely great big gold cup a nice little kiss infront of my arch enemy on the course.
Basically the weekend before the competition, this old dog had taken umbridge with me hitting a bomb of a tee shot over a load of trees and landing on the green some 280 yards away while he was on an adjacent tee. I couldn't see him and I didn't think he or his group were in range so i thwacked it and caught it sweet. Strolling up for my eagle putt, instead of being confronted by a nice flat stroke for glory, I was met with an empty green and a barage of old guff from mr.shorty pants. He told me to take an iron next time and I said don't be stupid how am i going to reach the green with an iron? Anyway my ball was never found, and Captain Spam Javelin refused either to confirm or deny his involvement in its disapearance. I dropped another. pitched and putted for par and gave him a little wink. And then a week later, the sweetest of kisses on the trophy - Aaaah victory, revenge - to taste either one is delightful - to enjoy both in one day is a cake worth tasting.

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
The man is clearly a chump. Write the letter so it's on file (perhaps there are other letters with the same grievance?) and be done with it. He deserves to be singled out and made an example of, IMHO, to let the other chumps know that common sense and courtesy should prevail between all members; sadly, while the world changes, life in some clubs can lag behind. One day.

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
The reason some members behave like this is because they get away with it, I suspect the club committee are fully aware of his behaviour but they can’t do anything about it as no one ever formally complains.

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
4 and a half hours is a long time but as you say you let people through so no big deal. People like this idiot need to realise golf clubs need new members because all sports need beginers to carry on. He wouldn't have the benefit of good clubs to play at if this wasn't the case. Funny how with these people they expect a certain etiquette from others but won't show others the same, by shutting up or at least being polite.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The reason some members behave like this is because they get away with it, I suspect the club committee are fully aware of his behaviour but they can’t do anything about it as no one ever formally complains.

which is why I suggest leaving. I think it unlikely you'll be able to have influence over the status quo. It's a fair point to say that by leaving you will hit them where it hurts- in the profits. That's why I suggest siting this numptie as the exclusive reason for leaving.

It may not do you any good but may make them think about just how valuable such killjoys ruin what should be a pleasant afternoon and you might help others further down the line.

Ive seen this happen before. It's a closed culture at such places which you'll struggle to challenge. They want your money but not the possibility of upsetting their hegemony. Watch the closing of ranks. It's a cut and shut deal for such places - swallow your money and then all but tell you to @@@@ off.

Very old school.

Cut your losses and insist on a refund (if they don't reprimant the twit- a ban should do).

If you put up with it now expect to be putting up with it for as long as you remain there. By doing nothing you implicitly accept it.

I look forward to hearing that i'm completely wrong and the management respond to your concerns with an appropriate apology and reprimand but i'll not hold my breath.

good luck.