New handicap system. An American view

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
CR is virtually the same as SSS. The detail of the rating standards and calculations are slightly different but come up with as near as d****t the same answers. One difference is that CR is to 1 dec whereas SSS is rounded.

User20204

Visit site
You index stays the same, but you never use you Index to play off anyway. You use your index to the calculate your playing handicap at any course. So your playing handicap will be different, which I think is what you were getting at?

This is the bit I'm just not understanding. If I go to another course, in an open for example, do I have a different handicap for that day only on that course ??? and revert back to my usual when at my home course.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
This is the bit I'm just not understanding. If I go to another course, in an open for example, do I have a different handicap for that day only on that course ??? and revert back to my usual when at my home course.

Yes, because your playing handicap is worked out separately for each course, including your home course, asked on the CR and slope.

You no longer really have a handicap. You will have a “handicap index” which is used to work out your playing handicap at every course.

D

Deleted member 25172

If I have understood it correctly, it will be just like it is in Sweden. You go to the course, you know your handicap, look at the slope and you’ll see your index for the day at the particular course you’re playing.

If that is the case, it really isn’t that hard. At all.

69F30621-80C3-45CB-A361-1D6ECE89604B.png

IanMcC

Visit site
If I have understood it correctly, it will be just like it is in Sweden. You go to the course, you know your handicap, look at the slope and you’ll see your index for the day at the particular course you’re playing.

If that is the case, it really isn’t that hard. At all.

View attachment 28566
This is correct, except for the terminology. I think below is correct:

• Handicap Index - A player's personal handicap on a course of neutral slope 113. Calculated to the nearest 0.1.
  • Course Handicap - A player's handicap index adjusted to reflect the difficulty of a specific course. Calculated to the nearest 0.1.
  • Playing Handicap - The handicap to be used in a specific competition on a specific course. For Stroke Play it is anticipated that it will be calculated as 95% of Course Handicap and rounded to the nearest whole number.
Phew!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is correct, except for the terminology. I think below is correct:

• Handicap Index - A player's personal handicap on a course of neutral slope 113. Calculated to the nearest 0.1.
  • Course Handicap - A player's handicap index adjusted to reflect the difficulty of a specific course. Calculated to the nearest 0.1.
  • Playing Handicap - The handicap to be used in a specific competition on a specific course. For Stroke Play it is anticipated that it will be calculated as 95% of Course Handicap and rounded to the nearest whole number.
Phew!
It is nearly but Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number and it might be worth adding:

Course Handicap - Using the Course Rating and Slope Rating.

Course Rating - An indication of the difficulty of a course for the scratch player
Slope Rating - An indication of the relative difficulty of a course for non scratch players compared to scratch players

Swango1980

Visit site
It is nearly but Course Handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number and it might be worth adding:

Course Handicap - Using the Course Rating and Slope Rating.

Is course handicap = Handicap Index x Slope / 113

Then, is handicap Index = Average of best 8 of last 20 of (AGS - Course Rating CR), where the adjusted gross score is where they round down any massive hole scores to double par.

So, breaking it down, Course Handicap is simply a function of Handicap Index and Slope. Handicap Index is a function of Course Rating and your Gross Scores. Slope is a function of the Course Rating and Bogey Rating BR.

If so, the definition of Course Handicap that the golfer plays off is, when going to first principles:

Course Handicap = ((AVERAGE (Best 8 AGS of 20)) - CR) x ((BR-CR) x 5.381) / 113 Note: If you are a woman, replace the 5.381 with 4.24 in the formula.

Thankfully computers, apps and charts at each golf club will do the donkey work for us.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is course handicap = Handicap Index x Slope / 113

Then, is handicap Index = Average of best 8 of last 20 of (AGS - Course Rating CR), where the adjusted gross score is where they round down any massive hole scores to double par.

So, breaking it down, Course Handicap is simply a function of Handicap Index and Slope. Handicap Index is a function of Course Rating and your Gross Scores. Slope is a function of the Course Rating and Bogey Rating BR.

If so, the definition of Course Handicap that the golfer plays off is, when going to first principles:

Course Handicap = ((AVERAGE (Best 8 AGS of 20)) - CR) x ((BR-CR) x 5.381) / 113 Note: If you are a woman, replace the 5.381 with 4.24 in the formula.

Thankfully computers, apps and charts at each golf club will do the donkey work for us.
Can you imagine someone new to golf being told this o_O. It looks complicated enough for the rest of us.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No one needs to know what the calculations are. All you need is your handicap index. An app, a PSI or a chart at the course or on the card will tell you what you play off on the day.
Doe anyone know exactly what the CSS formula is?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
1) handicap Index = Average of best 8 of last 20 of (AGS - Course Rating CR), where the adjusted gross score is where they round down any massive hole scores to double par net double bogey.
2) Course Handicap = ((AVERAGE (Best 8 AGS of 20)) - CR) x ((BR-CR) x 5.381) / 113
1) Better expressed as Score Differential
2) Course Handicap = Handicap Index * (Slope Rating/113)