New handicap system. An American view

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An interesting article just popped up in my inbox this morning, highlighting how Americans may see the changes in the new World handicap System (WHS) as opposed to the system they have used to date.
It also illustrates how Americans believe we Brits play golf and how we may adjust to the new system.
Seemingly in the UK we play a lot of matchplay which may cause issues in posting scores for WHS. Some British golfers may be surprised to learn that very few Americans bother with a handicap at all and this is partly blamed on a recent decision disallowing golfers from posting a solo round score for handicap purposes!

https://www.golfadvisor.com/article...edium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=EmailNovember08

yandabrown

Visit site
An interesting article just popped up in my inbox this morning, highlighting how Americans may see the changes in the new World handicap System (WHS) as opposed to the system they have used to date.
It also illustrates how Americans believe we Brits play golf and how we may adjust to the new system.
Seemingly in the UK we play a lot of matchplay which may cause issues in posting scores for WHS. Some British golfers may be surprised to learn that very few Americans bother with a handicap at all and this is partly blamed on a recent decision disallowing golfers from posting a solo round score for handicap purposes!

https://www.golfadvisor.com/article...edium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=EmailNovember08
I started reading this but was astounded when I got to “Collectively they represent 15 million golfers in 80 countries – 25 percent of the estimated 60 million golfers worldwide.”. That’s a ridiculously small number percentage wise to be able to give the “world” title. What’s missing? I presume there are significant numbers in Asia?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Spotted the quoat by Hampton about he doesn't forsee a change from MP to SP, which is true, but i think they don't fully understand social golf as all our score don't count at the moment, which is what Neil was talking about, pretty much all the social golf i play is MP and all our scores for handicap is SP... whic Yanks just don't get.

i caddy occasionally and ive yet to see a US player anywhere near the level of their handicap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i caddy occasionally and ive yet to see a US player anywhere near the level of their handicap

That is an interesting point.

Was not the change to the current handicap system because our handicaps were seen to be too low compared to the Americans?

For a lot of the summer we had a US visitor as a temp member playing regularly with us, quite a few of us 'queried' his handicap because he won so often. He reckoned it was because we have no water on our course and he plays in Florida.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Spotted the quoat by Hampton about he doesn't forsee a change from MP to SP, which is true, but i think they don't fully understand social golf as all our score don't count at the moment, which is what Neil was talking about, pretty much all the social golf i play is MP and all our scores for handicap is SP... whic Yanks just don't get.

Except of course a certain Mr D Trump as his golf is just perfect (well almost) being off 2.8. Which is pretty mega for someone who doesn't (or wasn't going to) spend that much time on the golf course - Hmmm...;)

User20204

Visit site

I have heard that so many times from people who I know who caddy on a regular basis.

I know a couple of guys who played out in Abu Dhabi and Dubai for a number of years with the WHS and one was scratch over there yet can only get to 5 here and another who was playing off 9 there yet is 20 here. Apparently they were allowed to pick up and just mark in a 6 or whatever it was they thought was appropriate for that hole, you lot on here would have a fit with your obsession of playing the game to the very letter of the law.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Oh yes indeed.... I've played quite a lot overseas with Americans.... several low single figures, who wouldn't be off 12 in the real world. I always wondered if it was iffy scoring, their system or what. Played Sawgrass with my wife and 2 New Yorkers, in their 30s over six foot tall, hit it miles, rarely found it though... Sat in bar one looking at his card said, "that was a 76." I think he lost double digit balls and didnt break 100. :) When he said that Donna stifled a giggle, badly!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started reading this but was astounded when I got to “Collectively they represent 15 million golfers in 80 countries – 25 percent of the estimated 60 million golfers worldwide.”. That’s a ridiculously small number percentage wise to be able to give the “world” title. What’s missing? I presume there are significant numbers in Asia?
The difference is much more about the definition of a golfer - which is not the same as someone who has a formal handicap.
Even amongst those who are members of golf clubs and play regularly there are a lot more who have never applied for a handicap than many would belive.
In the UK if you aren't a current club member then you fall outside the 25% stat straight away, even if you play every week!
Around the world there are many associations who manage handicaps underneath or other of the current handicap bodies, but equally a huge number of people who play golf but don't fall within their current remit.
One of the unwritten objectives of the whole WHS exercise is to make it easier for more people who aren't club members to have access to a formal.handicap (a natural extension of the USGA metropolitan associations.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh yes indeed.... I've played quite a lot overseas with Americans.... several low single figures, who wouldn't be off 12 in the real world. I always wondered if it was iffy scoring, their system or what. Played Sawgrass with my wife and 2 New Yorkers, in their 30s over six foot tall, hit it miles, rarely found it though... Sat in bar one looking at his card said, "that was a 76." I think he lost double digit balls and didnt break 100. :) When he said that Donna stifled a giggle, badly!

oh yes, have had that quite often, two guys slow Dave and i did this year spring to mind, who though both could hit a ball,but niether was that straight and couldn't putt both below 5. the guy i was caddying says to his mate walking off the 18th... "level Par Gross" despite losing at least half a dozen balls and 3 putting more greens that birded or even pared, i doubt he even broke 90:LOL:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are reputed to be three types of American golfer.
Sandbagger - 40% who claims he has never played so well before and goes home to gloat over his multiple prizes
Vanity - 40% who boasts about his handicap but explains he just had an unusually bad day today
Honest Joe 20% - who just shakes his head and enjoys his round

User20204

Visit site
They don't account for the balls they've lost I'm lead to believe. Lose 3 balls on a hole, take 5 shots to get the ball in the hole, mark down a 5, I can't wait for the WHS :ROFLMAO:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played with an American scratch golfer round Legacy golf club in Bradenton Fl. Off the back tees, he was absolutely awesome. Played stunning golf. No lost balls, no false accounting, just played great golf.

To be fair, I have played a load in Florida on holiday, used to go there quite a bit, and never had an issue with anyones handicap. Have also played with Americans round RCD, and same, never had an issue.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re americans, cannot really comment. Played with scotish bankers, they were lovely, Germans, they were lovely. a Canadian guy, hmm odd course habits. A french tv sports interviewer and his camera man at Anahita on the day before the Mauritian open, and played on the last day of the same open of which i played with my one and only american. he was bob on and honestly played to his hcap, but had lived in England for the last 10 years. But when i have played on said courses in Mauritius, Mexico, Portugal, America. it has been hot, sometimes very hot. The ball flies miles further than it ever has here. World class Tees, fairways, bunkers, and greens. A year playing on them would cut my handicap. A year playing at Carne and Enniscrone as i did in Ireland and i would be five shots higher. they were stunningly beautiful but brutal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've said it before but I'm sure I will never hand in a scorecard from a non-competition round. It's not the same game, you have gimmes (some generous), dropping from out of bounds and lost balls, etc etc - I fail to see how you can base a handicap off of that. Nonsense.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've said it before but I'm sure I will never hand in a scorecard from a non-competition round. It's not the same game, you have gimmes (some generous), dropping from out of bounds and lost balls, etc etc - I fail to see how you can base a handicap off of that. Nonsense.
but the new system will allow you to nominate it as a comp round so you would play that the same as a sup card or any other comp

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've said it before but I'm sure I will never hand in a scorecard from a non-competition round. It's the same game, you have gimmes (some generous), dropping from out of bounds and lost balls, etc etc - I fail to see how you can base a handicap off of that. Nonsense.
Contrary to popular belief it is possible to play a non-competition round and still follow the Rules of Golf.