New handicap system. An American view

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
but the new system will allow you to nominate it as a comp round so you would play that the same as a sup card or any other comp
Why would I want to do that??

Contrary to popular belief it is possible to play a non-competition round and still follow the Rules of Golf.
Come off it, gimmes and taking a drop are part of social golf. It speeds up play. Are you really going to send one of your mates back to the tee on your Saturday afternoon knock? No chance.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Come off it, gimmes and taking a drop are part of social golf. It speeds up play. Are you really going to send one of your mates back to the tee on your Saturday afternoon knock? No chance.
I don't know what you call social golf, but social golf in my swindle is played the same as medal, but from the yellows. You might play a provisional if you think it's in trouble and a gimmee is not normally more than 1 ft. Basically played the same way you might play matchplay.
To put every card in wont be an issue, it's just a mindset you need to accept.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Of course I wouldn’t send him back, I’d have told the pillock to play a provisional.

And when we can’t find either, then I’d send him back. 😁

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know what you call social golf, but social golf in my swindle is played the same as medal, but from the yellows. You might play a provisional if you think it's in trouble and a gimmee is not normally more than 1 ft. Basically played the same way you might play matchplay.
Well we don't call it a swindle, we sometimes play provisionals but usually don't bother and just drop a ball roughly where we lost the first one if not found. Yes we also play from the yellows usually. Gimmes could be 2 feet or more depending on how generous we're feeling. We generally do the scoring as individual Stableford rather than matchplay. I'm sure every group of golfers has their own way of playing friendly rounds.

But the biggest point is, I like to try and enjoy these rounds and not care about the outcome as much. Handing the cards in at the end for handicap purposes is fairly opposed to that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well we don't call it a swindle, we sometimes play provisionals but usually don't bother and just drop a ball roughly where we lost the first one if not found. Yes we also play from the yellows usually. Gimmes could be 2 feet or more depending on how generous we're feeling. We generally do the scoring as individual Stableford rather than matchplay. I'm sure every group of golfers has their own way of playing friendly rounds.

But the biggest point is, I like to try and enjoy these rounds and not care about the outcome as much. Handing the cards in at the end for handicap purposes is fairly opposed to that.
Don't you enjoy competition golf?
Your implication is that to enjoy golf you can't have a card in your hand...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't you enjoy competition golf?
Your implication is that to enjoy golf you can't have a card in your hand...
I enjoy it in a different way. Variety is the spice of life. Some weeks we enter the competition, other weeks we go away and play a knock round where we don't care about the outcome. Sometimes the fact you're playing a comp can curtail enjoyment if you don't play well.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I enjoy it in a different way. Variety is the spice of life. Some weeks we enter the competition, other weeks we go away and play a knock round where we don't care about the outcome. Sometimes the fact you're playing a comp can curtail enjoyment if you don't play well.
I'm with clem fandango on this one.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve heard the “I’m off 4” and proceed to knob it round the Old Course in 120 before but I reckon it’s just tourists wanting to get on and they don’t even have handicaps, certainly not ones equivalent to ours.

I find it infinitely more amusing to play against someone who has declared a number 10 too low than the opposite

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless I have misunderstood, if you have gimmes of any kind (even if they are only 1 inch), then the card cannot be accepted for handicapping purposes.
(Also, in order for a card to be accepted, you have to declare it before starting, and hand it in regardless. No cherry-picking allowed).

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless I have misunderstood, if you have gimmes of any kind (even if they are only 1 inch), then the card cannot be accepted for handicapping purposes.
(Also, in order for a card to be accepted, you have to declare it before starting, and hand it in regardless. No cherry-picking allowed).
For clarity......gimmees are only available now when we play with no comp entry. A gimmee will be confined to matchplay once the new system is active. Currently cards from no comp golf are not handed in, unless that person has done a supplymentary on the system before teeing off and then obviously gimmees are not entertained for that person and the score entered and card handed in.:)
We play for enjoyment fully respectful of the rules of the game:)

Visit site
Having read these comments, I agree with EVERY word that Orikoru has said. When you're having a social round, it just doesn't seem to matter as much for situations such as a lost ball, or gimmes.
I certainly don't agree with putting in a card for every round you play. That just can't be right. A comp is a comp, we all know the rules. But a swindle or a friendly........different game, different atmosphere.

Swango1980

Visit site
Probably worrying over nothing here. If you just want to go out for a friendly knock around at the minute, you can do as you please as long as everyone is happy. Drops for lost balls, take bunkers out of play, kick it out of the rough :))) . Also, currently, if you want your social round to count for handicap, you declare it as a supplementary before you go out, and then play the proper rules. Up to you. With the WHS, nothing changes. You can still go out for social rounds and have your gimmes and so on, you just don't hand your card in for handicapping. Originally, I thought the new system would require every round to be handed in, but at the WHS meeting a couple of years ago, they basically said that will not be the case, and cards counting for handicap would be the same then as it is now.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Having read these comments, I agree with EVERY word that Orikoru has said. When you're having a social round, it just doesn't seem to matter as much for situations such as a lost ball, or gimmes.
I certainly don't agree with putting in a card for every round you play. That just can't be right. A comp is a comp, we all know the rules. But a swindle or a friendly........different game, different atmosphere.
no one is saying you have to put every card in but personally i will be putting a few more cards when it does change. My club has loads of comps untill July then they dry up in the best weather months, no reason other that if its nice day no comp on we will all put cards in rather that wait fot the one medal a month.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The WHS simply presents you with the opportunity of putting more cards in if you fancy playing by the rules and would help justify whatever handicap you claim.
Outside of any cat 1 aspects exactly how does the WHS present any different opportunities over CONGU in this respect?

User20204

Visit site
Lets be honest, supplementary cards are a bit rubbish aren't they, just doesn't give me the same spark as a Q. i put in 5 last year, 2 I was cut on and the others I buffered, which was good but not seeing your name in results or on going live leaderboard isn't the same.