New GM Top 100 - how many have you played?

D

Deleted Member 1156

the 2008 GM top 50 is still available online (no idea why the full 100 aren’t on), and I believe this was the last year the exclusive clubs were included- Loch Lomond was the only one kicked off as far as I can see.
The exclusive clubs were removed from the list 4 years ago iirc. 6 were taken off, Wentworth, Bearwood Lakes, Loch Lomond and I can't remember the other 3.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hopefully my post never implied it was just free golf, the link I loaded up says otherwise. However considering the potential saving in (some) green fees, its worth considering if it lights your fire.

I posted the link as there are a number of people on the forum, who have posted they will not pay the fees.

Therefore one option is to become an assessor for GM, if GM says yes , hence why I posted the link, just in case they had not seen the link or knew it was an option.

Personally, I nowadays tend to look at other websites(& peoples advice) where you see peoples views/feedback, so you can see bad and good comments, rather than just a binary list decided on my a few people who tend to love sand based courses. In addition many of those public reviews would have paid to play the course which sometimes shines a different reflection on the experience, if you are paying £300 for a round.
My comment was based on other factors such as travel and accommodation costs which can be considerable and also time. Prior to retirement I used to allocate 1 week of my annual holiday entitlement to travel somewhere to do course reviews which is a big commitment for those with a tight holiday allowance and family pressures etc. Yes I consider it a big privilege to be a reviewer but it's not necessarily the jolly people think it is.

D

Deleted member 15344

The exclusive clubs were removed from the list 4 years ago iirc. 6 were taken off, Wentworth, Bearwood Lakes, Loch Lomond and I can't remember the other 3.
Centurion , Wisley and Beaverbrook ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hopefully my post never implied it was just free golf, the link I loaded up says otherwise. However considering the potential saving in (some) green fees, its worth considering if it lights your fire.

I posted the link as there are a number of people on the forum, who have posted they will not pay the fees.

Therefore one option is to become an assessor for GM, if GM says yes , hence why I posted the link, just in case they had not seen the link or knew it was an option.

Personally, I nowadays tend to look at other websites(& peoples advice) where you see peoples views/feedback, so you can see bad and good comments, rather than just a binary list decided on my a few people who tend to love sand based courses. In addition many of those public reviews would have paid to play the course which sometimes shines a different reflection on the experience, if you are paying £300 for a round.

I can see where you're coming from with regards to the additional comments, as I also used to use a website years ago when deciding which local courses to play when I was picking to play opens.

However, you dont know what the public reviewers use as a base line for what is 6 out of 10 or 9 out of 10. Overall, the comments helped me decide which ones to choose, but some were talked up as brilliant and I thought they were rubbish at best, and that was before I had played any top 100, never mind top 200 courses. These courses are probably top 1000.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
Aha, Wentworth and LL put me at 100 played that are or were in the T100 when played. I’m at 69 on the current list having lost 3 and gained one in the latest shake-up ?

D

Deleted member 21258

I can see where you're coming from with regards to the additional comments, as I also used to use a website years ago when deciding which local courses to play when I was picking to play opens.

However, you dont know what the public reviewers use as a base line for what is 6 out of 10 or 9 out of 10. Overall, the comments helped me decide which ones to choose, but some were talked up as brilliant and I thought they were rubbish at best, and that was before I had played any top 100, never mind top 200 courses. These courses are probably top 1000.

Some of the ball scores on top100 or similar websites can be interesting.:LOL:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some of the ball scores on top100 or similar websites can be interesting.:LOL:

I know. :)

There is a world top 100 list, and I guessed that I may have played 10-15 (having done 66 of the best in GB&I GM, wise) and was surprised to learn that I'd actually played about 25 or 28 in the supposed world list, although some of the entries for it baffled me, if I'm honest.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I've just noticed that Royal County Down has never hosted an Open. For the number 1 course and a links, is there a long lost historical reason for that? Did a former US president once own it?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've just noticed that Royal County Down has never hosted an Open. For the number 1 course and a links, is there a long lost historical reason for that? Did a former US president once own it?
Poor accessibility and lack of accommodation are big factors I believe.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Poor accessibility and lack of accommodation are big factors I believe.

RCD couldn't host an Open Championship. Too little quality hotel accommodation nearby, one main road in and out from Belfast, no rail service. When the Seniors Open was held there in 2000/2001, Palmer stayed at Turnberry and helicoptered in and out.

Zig

Visit site
I was with you pretty much all the way on your analysis of the great courses and then you fell at the final hurdle. Seaton Carew not IMO top 100. The last few holes are top notch but otherwise a lot of moderate holes
Haha... fair enough. Supposed you're allowed a bit of a soft spot for your own course though. :)

Zig

Visit site
I suppose this is what is good about what folk think re courses. I played Goswick a couple of years ago and the four of us thought it was boring. I went to Ireland a few years back and played enniscrone and Carne. I thought they were stunning. So many memorable holes. When I had played them I fell in love with the coastal courses. But the old course, Goswick and Skeggys course did nothing for me.
Enniscrone and Carne are two of my favourites in terms of topography/location. Little to compare them to in England/Scotland (tho' I haven't played Trump Aberdeen, which people have said is similar).