New GM Top 100 - how many have you played?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
4, Ave played Sherwood and Lindrick and there’s not a lot in them so I wonder where Lindrick is rated. Another thought. The JCB course is supposed to be very good. Anyone any idea where that is re rating.

D

Deleted member 15344

4, Ave played Sherwood and Lindrick and there’s not a lot in them so I wonder where Lindrick is rated. Another thought. The JCB course is supposed to be very good. Anyone any idea where that is re rating.
It’s a private course where visitors are not allowed so it won’t be included

D

Deleted Member 1156

So it's not UK and Ireland top 100 then is it - it's best 100 you can pay to play
Yep, no point in the Bullseye philosophy.

Look what you coulda won......

As a reviewer I agree 100% with the stipulation that the top 100 should only be courses available to everyone. If you look at the US top 100 probably 75% can't be played by the average golfer.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Hence why it’s the GM top 100.
they have for sometime done the top 100 courses you can realistically play.
I'm not arguing with the way it's done - just don't think the title 'Top 100 Golf Courses UK and Ireland 2021/22' is accurate - A more accurate description would be 'The top 100 you can play' (as used by some other magazines when they publish similar lists) - anyone looking at the article without pror knowledge that GM have for sometime done it this way would assume that this list is the best 100 course in the UK and Ireland because the caveat that private courses aren't included is not mentioned at all in the article.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm not arguing with the way it's done - just don't think the title 'Top 100 Golf Courses UK and Ireland 2021/22' is accurate - A more accurate description would be 'The top 100 you can play' (as used by some other magazines when they publish similar lists) - anyone looking at the article without pror knowledge that GM have for sometime done it this way would assume that this list is the best 100 course in the UK and Ireland because the caveat that private courses aren't included is not mentioned at all in the article.
When the change was made a couple of years ago only 6 courses were removed from the rankings so thing of it as the GB&I Top 94 courses ;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Looking a the green fees of places I used to visit regularly years ago and its a bit shocking.

Love Hindhead, used to play there often when I worked in Haslemere. I was just out of Uni. I don't think I could have afforded the (equivalent)over £100 green fee on my salary in those days. Before I looked i would have assumed £65 or £75.
Maybe I'm getting old!

AliMc

Visit site
Looking a the green fees of places I used to visit regularly years ago and its a bit shocking.

Love Hindhead, used to play there often when I worked in Haslemere. I was just out of Uni. I don't think I could have afforded the (equivalent)over £100 green fee on my salary in those days. Before I looked i would have assumed £65 or £75.
Maybe I'm getting old!
I find the same Ian, some of the prices now are just not on for me. I know it's always great to go on a lads trip (when we are allowed) and indeed I did play two of the top 100 a couple of years ago but tbh they didn't cost me as much as the advertised price and I didn't think they were as good as where I play anyway (we are in the next 100) so it kinds of puts me off bothering

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Maybe I'm getting old!

I find the same Ian, some of the prices now are just not on for me. I know it's always great to go on a lads trip (when we are allowed) and indeed I did play two of the top 100 a couple of years ago but tbh they didn't cost me as much as the advertised price and I didn't think they were as good as where I play anyway (we are in the next 100) so it kinds of puts me off bothering

I must be bored, as I've just tried going through the list and totting up the green fees. I think I've got it right, and using an exchange rate of 1.2 for the courses quoted in Euros, and granted where a range of prices is used I have taken the higher one; the total for the top 99 (Swinley Forest do not quote a green fee) was approximately £20,012 (there was a bit of rounding up on the Euros). The Top 10 I tallied at £3,200, the Top 20 at £5.738.

Frankly I've just lost any interest in chasing those courses unless it is as a member's guest, at a vastly reduced rate for Opens or as part of a party where the organiser has negotiated a more reasonable rate. Outside of those three circumstances I'm not interested in dropping that sort of money on a round of golf unless I win the jackpot on the National Lottery.

Makes me all the more grateful for the likes of @drive4show (I'm sure there are others as well) who invite us oiks onto their courses at member's guest rates :). I owe you a curry mate. (y)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I must be bored, as I've just tried going through the list and totting up the green fees. I think I've got it right, and using an exchange rate of 1.2 for the courses quoted in Euros, and granted where a range of prices is used I have taken the higher one; the total for the top 99 (Swinley Forest do not quote a green fee) was approximately £20,012 (there was a bit of rounding up on the Euros). The Top 10 I tallied at £3,200, the Top 20 at £5.738.

Frankly I've just lost any interest in chasing those courses unless it is as a member's guest, at a vastly reduced rate for Opens or as part of a party where the organiser has negotiated a more reasonable rate. Outside of those three circumstances I'm not interested in dropping that sort of money on a round of golf unless I win the jackpot on the National Lottery.

Makes me all the more grateful for the likes of @drive4show (I'm sure there are others as well) who invite us oiks onto their courses at member's guest rates :). I owe you a curry mate. (y)
Welcome any time Rich! That also applies to all the good guys on here but not the bellends ;)(y)