New Cup - GB v Europe

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Plenty of other ‘European’ DP World tour events take place in the ME

Can you not see the same principle at work with the 39th game? How did you feel about that?

As i said - they are using a gap in the calender which is in Jan and is far enough away from the Ryder Cup later in the year

The condensed major season doesn’t leave much room for other events to be added

When and where else could they play and look to get maximum entry

evemccc

Visit site
In that case I would imagine that for the next Ryder Cup in 2025 this event will take place in Europe…after all there is plenty of time for the 2024 and 2025 golf schedules to worked out ——- and as one of the flagship events for the ET, there will be absolutely certain to have this event take place in Europe…

And not in the Middle East..

D

Deleted member 15344

In that case I would imagine that for the next Ryder Cup in 2025 this event will take place in Europe…after all there is plenty of time for the 2024 and 2025 golf schedules to worked out ——- and as one of the flagship events for the ET, there will be absolutely certain to have this event take place in Europe…

And not in the Middle East..

Potentially- it’s also worth noting that it’s being held around the time the main ET players will be playing in the Middle East

The schedule isn’t easy - majors , wgc , opens , pga events - the two main places where there is a lull is from September through to March and then you need to find the weather

But it’s not just the European Tour anymore

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This will die on its backside pretty quickly. It may have a good first year than it will be full of c list players that no one has heard of.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can understand why it’s being held in the ME, what with the weather, tour schedules meaning the players are already over there and they want players to play rather than crying off due to travel/diary clashes. However, real shame it’s not over here somewhere so we can go an watch, get some atmosphere from the spectators.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Assuming LIV players are banned what would the teams be?

Rory Rahm
Fitzpatrick Hovland
Lowry Pieters
Hatton Straka
Fleetwood Noren
Power Meronk
MacIntyre Arnaus
J.Smith N.Hojgaard
Wallace Perez
Willett Detry
Beyond the top 5 or 6 names it doesn't look very exciting.

D

Deleted member 3432

Rory Rahm
Fitzpatrick Hovland
Lowry Pieters
Hatton Straka
Fleetwood Noren
Power Meronk
MacIntyre Arnaus
J.Smith N.Hojgaard
Wallace Perez
Willett Detry

Unlikely that PGA Tour mouthpiece and Rahm will play...

Waste of time event in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would expect to see all the top Europeans there - it’s been held at a time there are all over in Dubai playing events and they are going to want to show support for it
Good to see Donald doing something and everyone getting behind it

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Rory Rahm
Fitzpatrick Hovland
Lowry Pieters
Hatton Straka
Fleetwood Noren
Power Meronk
MacIntyre Arnaus
J.Smith N.Hojgaard
Wallace Perez
Willett Detry

Look at a lot of Ryder Cup teams, on bith sides, and there are a lot of not very exciting names. You will find yourself asking who-the-hell-was-he? often enough.
Peter Hansen, Jeff Overton, Chad Campbell, Soren Hansen, Boo Weekley, Robert Carlsson, Vaughn Taylor, Brett Wetterich.
Anyone ?Anyone ?

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Think it's already been
I would expect to see all the top Europeans there - it’s been held at a time there are all over in Dubai playing events and they are going to want to show support for it
Good to see Donald doing something and everyone getting behind it

Former Ryder Cup captains etc. are not the people whose support you need when coming up with 'new' events. They needed to consult with the players AND Seve's family and probably the PGAT along with Rory McIlroy as he's in charge of Golf now. The 'top' players won't be there is the general consensus: "However, it is unlikely that Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm will play in the Hero Cup because it clashes with the PGA Tour's Sentry Tournament of Champions in Hawaii. It is one of the "elevated" events the American-based circuit's top players have committed to playing in response to the threat of LIV Golf." Assume Fitzpatrick falls under that umbrella too although his name is not quoted.

There is a disconnect between Rahm & Fitzpatrick vs McIlroy, so I wouldn't at this stage rule out the first 2, but McIlroy won't be there. Also, respectively to the Europeans, amassing 20 players from the current crop isn't exactly tantalising - it really will be an exposure of the lack of depth / quality available to Donald after the first 7 on the list (some of which won't play).... little wonder he and Rahm have left the door a little open to some 'traitor' involvement in the RC.

Much like McGinley speaking out of turn on behalf of 'everyone', Guy Kinnings, Pelley, Donald et al have clearly agreed a half baked idea and thrown it out there publicly - Javier Ballesteros clearly articulating the level of engagement and forethought that happened.