New Course Opens

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Following on from the 'Any Clubs Closed' thread, a new course has just opened in Fife. Dumbarnie Links has just announced it is now open for play. £235 a round (Or £115 if resident in Scotland) puts it up in a league with Kingsbarns pricewise. It looks magnificent but it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

https://www.dumbarnielinks.com/

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It looks ok I suppose.

it's my firms list of courses I can play for free - just need to find some clients in the area!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
£235...:(

OK - reduced rate if a Fife or Scottish resident - but £235...I really struggle with green fees of that order...

That said - I could afford it if I jacked in my club membership and became a nomad.

Looks nice though...

D

Deleted member 3432

£235...:(

OK - reduced rate if a Fife or Scottish resident - but £235...I really struggle with green fees of that order...

Taking the pish with different pricing structure, got to be a total mug to pay £235 when someone down the road can get on for £94 which is still steep.

D

Deleted member 15344

The yanks will flock to it when they are allowed to travel and that’s what it will end up being just like a lot of the other courses that charges those sort of fees. I would have thought the recent issues and potentially coming issues would have adjusted their thinking a little.

Whilst it looks a very good course I’m not sure I would pay double what someone else pays just because of where I live ( guess it’s something that Doon would dream off ) . Good luck to it especially with courses in Scotland struggling en masse

D

Deleted member 3432

The yanks will flock to it when they are allowed to travel and that’s what it will end up being just like a lot of the other courses that charges those sort of fees. I would have thought the recent issues and potentially coming issues would have adjusted their thinking a little.

Whilst it looks a very good course I’m not sure I would pay double what someone else pays just because of where I live ( guess it’s something that Doon would dream off ) . Good luck to it especially with courses in Scotland struggling en masse

Can't understand the mindset of the 'yank' visitor who travels to Scotland to play new tracks like Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart and probably this gaff as well. If I was coming all this way I would be playing the 'proper' traditional links tracks especially the quirky ones.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't understand the mindset of the 'yank' visitor who travels to Scotland to play new tracks like Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart and probably this gaff as well. If I was coming all this way I would be playing the 'proper' traditional links tracks especially the quirky ones.
why would you dear boy, its the midset of someone who would ignore the New and Jubilee and play Kingsbarns, because they didn't make the ballot for TOC,or wouldn't play the top Irish Links because they were too cheap:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 3432

why would you dear boy, its the midset of someone who would ignore the New and Jubilee and play Kingsbarns, because they didn't make the ballot for TOC,or wouldn't play the top Irish Links because they were too cheap:ROFLMAO:

Out of interest I have just had a look at Nairn green fees :eek:

Obviously aimed at our friends across the pond :ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Out of interest I have just had a look at Nairn green fees :eek:

Obviously aimed at our friends across the pond :ROFLMAO:
when i joined just over 10 years ago it was £40, i think they have to keep pace with the going rate what the yanks will pay or think they should pay... i suppose its just cashing in really, be a big hike in the membership fee for 2021:( thats for sure

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
I wouldn't pay the daily fees at my own course if I had to pay that to play. No way I am going to pay £40+ to play a round of golf unless it's super special.

D

Deleted member 3432

when i joined just over 10 years ago it was £40, i think they have to keep pace with the going rate what the yanks will pay or think they should pay... i suppose its just cashing really, be a big hike in the membership fee for 2021:( thats for sure

Thats the problem for courses that have big visiting numbers unfortunately and that work you have had done on the course won't have come cheap I expect and will need factored in somewhere.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thats the problem for courses that have big visiting numbers unfortunately and that work you have had done on the course won't have come cheap I expect and will need factored in somewhere.
The new guy is doing a good job, but the list of mistakes and poor management before... have all now come home to roost and have made the current situation much worse. they were rather relying on a bumper year for visitors to pay off the £1M plus the changes cost

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For me it's just not golf as it's supposed to be, and these sort of green fees simply support and perpetuate a belief in non-golfers that golf is a game for a privileged, wealthy, snooty elite...

And I don't care if the market targetted is primarily wealthy Americans and Japanese - it just feels wrong and damaging to the game - a game that in the UK is struggling to attract new players. I can afford to play this sort of course - but I doubt very much that I ever will want to. Looks nice - but it holds absolutely no attraction to me whatsoever.