New Club :-D Lots of Opportunities to play free golf elsewhere too!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I joined my first golf club last year and come the 8th I am a free man... no seriously I joined Calderfields as it was certainly the best choice at the time.

Reasons for at the time
Cheapest club in the area, no joining requirements (interview/waiting time) far from stuck up etc
Reasons why I am not renewing
Been closed way too much (yes I know alot/all have but every weekend we were closed I called my new club and a couple others to check if it was open and atleast half of the time it was) More interesting course, better kept course, 1985 club, on way back from work, closer to home, amazing facilities compared to old club, more challenging course I could go on!

So basically with my membership coming to an end I had a little look around and had discarded my new club in the past purely because I couldn't afford the £1000 joining fee plus similar yearly subs... So when I had a quick look I couldn't believe the membership fee's page had removed the joining fee. I called up and the pro confirmed there was no joining fee and invited me and my playing partners to have a viewing round.

Played the course and I was completely sold, went to an interview last Thursday and its now a done deal as of Monday :cool:

I asked other than the course do they mind me using the practice facilities before and they were fine with it so I nipped up today and used the practice range... Going from a club with no practice area other than a putting and chipping green I think I will really be able to push on from now... Also I know its really simple but the grass range is in really good nick and is as short as a fairway with the two ropes moved up and down every couple of days to hit off fresh grass aswell as having 3 undercover bays for when the weather isn't as great.

One great factor in all of this is 1895 club... You may have heard of something similar but basically all of the clubs listed below have joined together and you can play there clubs for free - me and the lads already have a few weekends away planned...

So... if any of you play at the below or could recommend give any info on let me know... also you should come up and have a game if you can at my new track.

Like a kid at Christmas!

(also I know there are a couple on here who are at my old club and I don't mean to slate the place and I am sure they will agree with most of what I have said... the members are great there but I just feel bored of the very up and down course... didn't integrate enough with members as I didn't play in comps but will start pretty much straight away at the new place... even after my first comp shocking performance at the weekend)

If you are still reading then I am surprised but any info on courses would be great :)

Abbeyleix GC, Co. Laois, Ireland
Aberfeldy GC, Perthshire
Bearsted GC, Maidstone
Broadway GC, Worcestershire
Bush Hill Park GC, Middlesex
Cardross GC, Dumbarton
Cathcart Castle GC, Glasgow
Cosby GC, Leicester
Crowborough Beacon GC, Sussex
Craigmillar Park GC, Edinburgh
Duddingston GC, Edinburgh
Edzell GC, Scotland
Exeter Golf and Country Club
Flempton GC, Bury St Edmonds
Frinton GC, Frinton on Sea
Great Torrington GC, Devon
Goring & Streatly GC, Reading
Halifax GC
Handsworth GC, Birmingham
The Knock GC, Belfast
Ipswich GC
Malone GC, Belfast
Manawatu Golf Club, New Zealand
Masham GC, Ripon
Massereene GC, Antrim
Milngavie GC, Glasgow
Mullion GC, Helston Cornwall
Paisley GC, Glasgow
Peacehaven GC, Newhaven
Peel GC, Isle of Man
Pumpherston GC, Scotland
Reigate Heath GC, Surrey
Royal Ardenne, Belgium
Sandwell Park GC, Birmingham
Seacroft GC, Skegness
Settle GC, Yorkshire
Surbiton, Surrey
Todmorden GC, Lancashire
Torphin Hill GC, Edinburgh
Torwoodlee GC, Galashiels
Ulverston GC, Cumbria
Uphall GC, West Lothian
Valescure GC, St Raphael, France
Wrangaton GC, Devon

Oh and my club is www.handsworthgc.co.uk the pics don't do it justice

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best of luck at your new place! If excitable written tone is any indicator of future golfing progress, I'd expect many cuts from you this year!!!!! Give me a shout when you hit Glasgow!!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Best of luck at your new place! If excitable written tone is any indicator of future golfing progress, I'd expect many cuts from you this year!!!!! Give me a shout when you hit Glasgow!!

Haha cheers mate. There are a few up that way so I will let you know :)

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Malone here in Northern ireland..... course itself is very good but most of the members are well off rich guys, i played it once loved the course but didnt like the looks i got because i rolled up in a 2004 renault laguna instead of the new 2012 Mercedes lol.
Hopefully your like me and play a judge a course by the course and not pay any mind to the members :)

The Knock GC, or Knock as most of us here call it, ive heard from friends it is a nice course friendly welcomes and a good challange to go with it!, its on my to play list (which keeps getting longer lol)

Last edited:

Idlenorth1

Head Pro
Visit site
Good luck Dave with the new track and glad we got to meet and get a game in before you leave Calderfields. I agree with your comments re closures at Calderfields as has been very frustrating over last couple of months and i have looked around at other courses myself, it can also it can be a little up and down but as proved yesterday, when the wind gets up it is a very long track at over 6500 yards and the only guy I know who had a good round was Denis (all the guys in the bar had poor knocks)

As we discussed yesterday, the main reason I am staying is the members who I have got in well with, I play in the 17-24 leagues and cup games and of course, Denis and I have to defend our doubles matchplay title (hoping to add winter league champs to that as well come Sunday)

Enjoy handsworth mate and would love to join you for a game once you have settled in, also take yesterday as an experience for your first comp, the wind was brutal at times out there and playing anywhere near to hcp would have been an achievement, I finished with my worst ever competition score

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good luck Dave with the new track and glad we got to meet and get a game in before you leave Calderfields. I agree with your comments re closures at Calderfields as has been very frustrating over last couple of months and i have looked around at other courses myself, it can also it can be a little up and down but as proved yesterday, when the wind gets up it is a very long track at over 6500 yards and the only guy I know who had a good round was Denis (all the guys in the bar had poor knocks)

As we discussed yesterday, the main reason I am staying is the members who I have got in well with, I play in the 17-24 leagues and cup games and of course, Denis and I have to defend our doubles matchplay title (hoping to add winter league champs to that as well come Sunday)

Enjoy handsworth mate and would love to join you for a game once you have settled in, also take yesterday as an experience for your first comp, the wind was brutal at times out there and playing anywhere near to hcp would have been an achievement, I finished with my worst ever competition score

Welcome anytime fella honestly. I think for old times I will come and have a knock at calderfields aswell :)

Denis was on fire Sunday for such conditions - i went to the range tonight to try and take a lil off and just strike the ball well and it was back... Need to not put myself under pressure in comps but glad to have got that round in mate.

Hopefully see you around soon. Good luck in the Snape too - keep me updated

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Malone here in Northern ireland..... course itself is very good but most of the members are well off rich guys, i played it once loved the course but didnt like the looks i got because i rolled up in a 2004 renault laguna instead of the new 2012 Mercedes lol.
Hopefully your like me and play a judge a course by the course and not pay any mind to the members :)

The Knock GC, or Knock as most of us here call it, ive heard from friends it is a nice course friendly welcomes and a good challange to go with it!, its on my to play list (which keeps getting longer lol)

Sounds good we are already planning a trip over the water soon. ;-)

Good to hear mate, when we coming for a bash then? :thup:

Whenever mate. Will get a couple of rounds in first then come down on a weekend sometime? I think at first I might play sat and sun afternoons as we pretty much had the whole course to ourselves.