New BBC Presenter For The Masters

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i see the professionally offended are out in force on this thread .
so CF dosent want a woman hosting his male sports programmes ,so what ,he is entitled to his opinion ,and yes you lot are entitled to yours ,but just because in your offended eyes its sexist you slate him .
the trouble with this country is far too many bleeding hearts .and bloody pc correctness .where the hell it all came from god only knows .too many namby pambys around today.
everyone has got to be seen to be pc and not ruffle anyones feathers as it is deemed to be offensive if you do ,what a load of tosh.
ooh you cant say that and you cant say this .if you dont agree with it fine ,but dont have a pop at the bloke for voicing his opinion right or wrong whichever it may be .you have no right to diss his opinion in the way you have ,disagree yes but dont dig for blood ,
at the end of the day who bloody cares who fronts a sports programme anyway ,dont we watch for the actual sport and not the person jabbering away at the beginning and end of it all.

rant over ,tin hat on and trenches dug.

D

Deleted member 15344

so CF dosent want a woman hosting his male sports programmes ,so what ,he is entitled to his opinion ,and yes you lot are entitled to yours ,but just because in your offended eyes its sexist you slate him .
the trouble with this country is far too many bleeding hearts .and bloody pc correctness .where the hell it all came from god only knows .too many namby pambys around today.
everyone has got to be seen to be pc and not ruffle anyones feathers as it is deemed to be offensive if you do ,what a load of tosh.
ooh you cant say that and you cant say this .if you dont agree with it fine ,but dont have a pop at the bloke for voicing his opinion right or wrong whichever it may be .you have no right to diss his opinion in the way you have ,disagree yes but dont dig for blood ,
at the end of the day who bloody cares who fronts a sports programme anyway ,dont we watch for the actual sport and not the person jabbering away at the beginning and end of it all.

Saying someone shouldn't do something because of the sex they and that they are clearly able to do that job is clearly sexist and goes against the Equality Act 2010 - it's not deeming something is offensive , what CF is actually clearly offensive and discriminatory towards females.

Golf has a stuffy discriminating image that at times paints an old fashioned picture of "no women" allowed - see the recent issues with the Murfield vote on lady members. The golf governing bodies and indeed the majority of golf clubs are trying the best to dispel that image and try and make the sport all encompassing and welcome to all no matter what age , sex , race , ability , class or how much money you have - it's a lot way to go and it's even harder when you see attitudes like CF still hanging around , I expect D4S is prob closer to the truth - all mouth on a public forum but imagine new lady golfer reading this thread and reading the nonsense spouted by him - it destroys all the good work done by many.

Anyone can voice an opinion but that doesn't mean it can't be pointed out when it's clearly a poor opinion or in this case a disgraceful one that is stuck in the 50's and can actually damage the sport.

It's nothing to do with "pc or nampy pampy etc etc" - it's to do with Equality , Equality that a lot of people are working hard to gain.

D

Deleted member 16999

Saying someone shouldn't do something because of the sex they and that they are clearly able to do that job is clearly sexist and goes against the Equality Act 2010 - it's not deeming something is offensive , what CF is actually clearly offensive and discriminatory towards females.

Golf has a stuffy discriminating image that at times paints an old fashioned picture of "no women" allowed - see the recent issues with the Murfield vote on lady members. The golf governing bodies and indeed the majority of golf clubs are trying the best to dispel that image and try and make the sport all encompassing and welcome to all no matter what age , sex , race , ability , class or how much money you have - it's a lot way to go and it's even harder when you see attitudes like CF still hanging around , I expect D4S is prob closer to the truth - all mouth on a public forum but imagine new lady golfer reading this thread and reading the nonsense spouted by him - it destroys all the good work done by many.

Anyone can voice an opinion but that doesn't mean it can't be pointed out when it's clearly a poor opinion or in this case a disgraceful one that is stuck in the 50's and can actually damage the sport.

It's nothing to do with "pc or nampy pampy etc etc" - it's to do with Equality , Equality that a lot of people are working hard to gain.

It's ok to point out his opinion is wrong, but you're just as bad judging his personality and how he'd react in public to women, maybe you should stick to trying to get him to change his opinion through education rather than insults, as he's stated, you have not met him.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You are actually a long way off the mark. It's not the sexism element that I find strange, it is the OP's assumption that no woman has sufficient knowledge of golf to present a golf program. I bet there are quite a few out there with a far greater knowledge than him!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect the issue here is credibility. When you have a male golf tournament can the presenter, female, have credibility fronting that show when they are clearly not likely to ever have been capable of playing in it? For me I am okay with that, Des Lynam was not a professional sportsman for example but was possibly the best presenter on sport I can remember. If they lack knowledge or understanding of the game, ie they are just there as a pretty face, then that kills credibility. If however they know the game inside and out, not just read it from a book, then that again gives credibility. I always found Hazel Irvine very good, very professional.

The issue of pundits is different as I expect them to have played at that elite level and ideally at the level they are talking about. The eliminates female pundits / co commentators as they lack credibility in those situations. That is the same for a male who spent their career playing on the EuroPro tour for example. They may be great to listen to but how can they tell us what it is like to tee up on a Sunday at The Masters? The BBC are falling into that trap with some of their cricket co-commentators on one day and 20-20 matches and it irritates me hugely.

D

Deleted member 16999

You are actually a long way off the mark. It's not the sexism element that I find strange, it is the OP's assumption that no woman has sufficient knowledge of golf to present a golf program. I bet there are quite a few out there with a far greater knowledge than him!
Totally agree, some people have opinions and those opinions won't be changed, but getting them to answer a point like this is the way to approach them.

S

Snelly

I suspect the issue here is credibility. When you have a male golf tournament can the presenter, female, have credibility fronting that show when they are clearly not likely to ever have been capable of playing in it? For me I am okay with that, Des Lynam was not a professional sportsman for example but was possibly the best presenter on sport I can remember. If they lack knowledge or understanding of the game, ie they are just there as a pretty face, then that kills credibility. If however they know the game inside and out, not just read it from a book, then that again gives credibility. I always found Hazel Irvine very good, very professional.

The issue of pundits is different as I expect them to have played at that elite level and ideally at the level they are talking about. The eliminates female pundits / co commentators as they lack credibility in those situations. That is the same for a male who spent their career playing on the EuroPro tour for example. They may be great to listen to but how can they tell us what it is like to tee up on a Sunday at The Masters? The BBC are falling into that trap with some of their cricket co-commentators on one day and 20-20 matches and it irritates me hugely.

Very good post.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Telegraph doing their bit to make it personal between the new presenter and Alliss. Very cheap journalism http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...r-has-campaigned-get-women-golf-tv-colleague/

It seems Elidh Barbour plays the game and definitely has a presenting pedigree so I think she's perfectly equipped to replace Irvine who herself is a competent golfer and played for her university. Given the amount of TV coverage the BBC has, how big an issue will this really be and surely those tuning in will be there for the coverage and not who's presenting

G

guest100718

Hazel Irvine is an excellent presenter and will be missed from the masters . anyone remember Lineker having a go..

D

Deleted member 16999

Hazel Irvine is an excellent presenter and will be missed from the masters . anyone remember Lineker having a go..
Totally agree about Irvine, although I do find it funny people justifying her hosting The Masters based on her playing Golf at Uni 30yrs ago. :rofl:
The lady is a professional sports journalist who has commentated and hosted numerous sports programmes since the late 80's including Football and a few Olympics.