Rules Of Manhood For The Over 40's

S

Snelly

I saw this in the Telegraph today. It is from an author called John Niven and it made me smile and I certainly agree with them.

He writes:

My new novel Straight White Male features a forty-something protagonist who has something of an, um, let’s say a taste for the good life. (OK, he’s a rich, spoilt egocentric maniac.)

With this in mind, I thought I’d outline a few commandments of manhood. A list of things men should ideally be on top of by the time they reach their forties.

Obviously these are more guidelines than rules (I break at least two of them on a regular basis). If you’re unemployed or on a limited income, then feel free to tell me to shove a couple of the more materialistic ones up my pampered backside.

1. Thou shalt limit thy hangovers as thou have finally realised that in your forties a proper hangover lasts three days

Remember in your twenties when a hangover lasted until lunchtime? Yeah, well that was an entire person of drinking age ago. They last over half the working week now, you mug.

2. Thou shalt eat thy steak rare

Medium rare is allowable for a very thick cut, or when in the US or France. If someone in your company asks for “well done”, you are of an age and life experience where you can – indeed must – abuse them relentlessly.

3. Thou shalt NOT order steak for every meal

What are you, a footballer?

4. Thou shalt not wear trainers unless engaging in a sporting activity

Sorry but that’s the way it is. You look like an utter penis. Or the manager of a Britpop band circa ‘97.

5. Thou shalt not play any more five-a-side with ‘the lads’

Are you out of your mind? You’re 45. Look across the pub – see that guy with his arm in a sling? The dude with his leg in plaster? They’re middle-aged clowns who did that playing football. Take up golf. Or tennis. Act your bloody age.

6. Thou shalt get to love malt whisky

Remember thy William Faulkner: “A man should never drink whisky before forty. But then he’s a damn fool if he doesn’t.”

7. If thou have any dignity, then thou shalt no longer dance in public or go to music festivals

No-one is looking at you thinking, “Check that awesome dude busting some moves in the rave tent.” They are thinking, “Christ, there seems to have been a breakout at the epileptic wing of a nearby sex offenders unit.’

8. Without getting too GQ about it, thou shalt own more than one suit and at least one of these will be of good quality

It doesn’t have to be bespoke to the max. Just not from Next, OK?

9. Ditto shoes

Yes, I know it’s boring and, again, a bit GQ, but by now you should own a pair of shoes that didn’t come from somewhere called SHOES SHOES SHOES. Much as though I love them, you don’t have to go John Lobb on your own ass. Church’s or similar will do. A good pair of shoes means something your grandson will be able to wear. Not some atrocities that have a fifty-fifty chance of making it through the winter.

10. Thou shalt pick up the bill now and then

What are you – some kind of loser? A bum with a cup in his hand? No. So realise that by the time you hit your forties, you’re probably doing well enough to stop with the, “Hey, who had the extra chapati?” and the “But I wasn’t drinking” s*** and pay for dinner once in a while. You’re not a student. JUST GET THE BLOODY BILL, YOU TIGHTFISTED ANIMAL.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yup.....all of them except that I have always had good shoes and I seem to pick up the bill all of the time now.

Perhaps that is for the over 60's

I like a drink but I don't think I have been drunk for over 15 years..........good place to be.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yup.....all of them except that I have always had good shoes and I seem to pick up the bill all of the time now.

Perhaps that is for the over 60's

I like a drink but I don't think I have been drunk for over 15 years..........good place to be.

Let me know when you want to go for dinner ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My 11) Thou shalt review your performance to date against the original 10 commandments and be honest with where you have been slipping and decide where you can and should do better

everything else is then a piece of cake...

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
what about thy shalt not ride the Harley to the country pub and dismount beside the young chicks, as you see the massive dissapointment on their faces when the helmet comes off to reveal mid life crisis man

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
what about thy shalt not ride the Harley to the country pub and dismount beside the young chicks, as you see the massive dissapointment on their faces when the helmet comes off to reveal mid life crisis man

Growing breed in Scotland..........also the staggered dismount and stiff bow legged walk can be quite amusing..

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Rule 13 (unlucky for some)

Don't worry about how others live their lives (or how they judge you against theirs). Live your own life.