Never seen that on a golf course before

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
When playing yesterday and enjoying being out in the lovely weather for the first time this year, we were rather surprised to see a family laying out a picnic on the 8th fairway, mum, dad and a couple of little kids who were playing football!!

I went over and had a polite word with them, "they didn't realise they couldn't picnic there"

Anyone seen any other odd things?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a part of our course where a public footpath passes, which is also reasonably close to a road layby. For some reason ladies undergarments of a flimsy nature are often found in the tree branches through the warmer weather;)

MikeB

Club Champion
Visit site
Saw exactly the same a few years ago, a family of tourists staying at an adjacent hotel layed a blanket out & had broken open the sandwiches etc smack bang in the middle of the 11th fairway. They didn't realise it was a golf course!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't remember if it was last year or not but on the way back from walking my dogs, i pass Torvean golf club, this particular night there was a family of Germans, Man Woman and at least 4 kids having a picnic next to the 3rd Green which is a drivable par 4 of about 250. the kids were playing football on the green. i even watched a two four balls played the hole and didn't say a word to them despite the kids running around on the green while they were putting out :confused:

Another time an Indian Family pulled into the gateway where you cross from the front 8 over the road to the 9th. They all set up a picnic on the first green oblivious (its 175 yard par 3) with the kids building sand castles in the bunkers :rofl:

Some guys arrived to play, but they wouldn't move.. they seemed to think it was a public park.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to play on a links course in a pretty Northumbrian village, Alnmouth. It ran alongside a very popular beach, there was also a path for walkers. Picnics on the course were not unusual but we even had them next to greens on occasions. What did they think the patch of grass with a flag in was about? Parents playing next to greens with their little kids, errrm would you like your 4yr old hitting with a golf ball that has travelled 200yds?

The best however was on Captain's Day one year. The 1st was a long par 3, about 200yds, with a dip in front of a raised green. The course was a 9 holer and as I was walking along the 9th hole and got parallel with the green I could see 2 teenage girls sunbathing in the dip. The club left a gap to allow for people slotting in and they had arrived during this spell. I could a group about to tee off and I started to hair towards the green waving my arms to stop them teeing off. Thankfully I caught them in time and was able to suggest to the ladies that there were safer places to lie down :D. I am pretty sure that was my last year there, it just became silly and also quite frightening of the potential damage you could inflict.

My experience of this course was never to underestimate the stupidity of the general public. Even those who manage to recognise it was a golf course, scarily few, would happily walk in from of a group about to tee off, stop 20-30yds ahead, just right of dead straight, and wait for golfers to tee off. I became expert in politely and jokingly suggesting it was not safe to stand in the firing line, we were not pro's. Non golfers are not safe.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Risebridge Golf course 2 guys on scramblers as bold as brass during a weekend mid morning having a good old tear up around various parts of the course.:rant:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
We have a public footpath running through our course. There are signs, and most people who do use it, do so rather regularly and know to not stray off the path and to be a bit carefull at the part where the path crosses over our 16th fairway. There was one time last year, though, when two kids (I guess they were elementary school age, maybe 8 or 9) wandered about on their own and ended up playing in one of our bunkers. I didn't see any adults around with them, so I guess they must have come from the nearby village. I tried to shout and wave at them from a distance before taking my shot into the green, but they totally did not see me or ignored me. I had to run all the way up to them and explain that this wasn't a playground and that they were putting themselves in some real danger there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When playing yesterday and enjoying being out in the lovely weather for the first time this year, we were rather surprised to see a family laying out a picnic on the 8th fairway, mum, dad and a couple of little kids who were playing football!!

I went over and had a polite word with them, "they didn't realise they couldn't picnic there"

Anyone seen any other odd things?

This is a frequent occurrence, apparently, at either Queens Park or Meyrick Park courses in Bournemouth. They are built on public land and a lot of the locals know that and feel that they have an equal right to use it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We often get people fishing in the weir pool that is only 140 yards from the tee on one of our holes. Trouble is you cannot see them because the edge of the water is about 15 foot below the level of the fairway.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had kids with an inflatable boats, plus lots of fishermen at the pond on our 3rd hole, only about 150 yards from the tee, very dangerous.
We normally call the clubhouse and they call the police, who eventually come and move them on.

D

Deleted member 18588

Back in the days when it was a nine hole course I was playing Atherstone GC with a friend and not knowing the course had pushed my shot slightly on a blind tee-shot. Not massively offline and easily findable.

The problem arose in that no more than 10 yards from my ball there was a young couple "in delecto flagrante"

I hurriedly played my shot, much to my friend's amusement and, to this day, still wonder why I was the one who felt embarrassed.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not golf related but similar...As a PE teacher I once had a family playing and making sandcastles in my long jump pit one sunny afternoon. I had to ask them to leave so I could teach my lesson.

Gazrico

Visit site
Once had a tent pitched and some vamping gear along with it on our 10th tee
right beside the medal tee didn't get in the way

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Risebridge Golf course 2 guys on scramblers as bold as brass during a weekend mid morning having a good old tear up around various parts of the course.:rant:

Risebridge is famous for that tho.. being where it is. Although £16 the other day with bacon roll wasn’t too shabby

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Played yesterday evening,a ditch had turned into a pond due to the bit of rain we’ve had.
Some of the local kids decided it would make a decent swimming pool,trouble is it was on a par 3 straight in line with the green.
I wasn’t hitting it so great so I asked them to move whilst I teed off.
Got a few balls off them that they found at the bottom of their pool 😁.