Never seen that on a golf course before

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe we should organise a forum picnic on the 10th at Carnoustie. It’ll be nice in the summer so we should make it late July.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I was at Wimbledon Common, the first green had a nice horseshoe bank around it and went out in the comp and there was a family sitting on the bank eating and drinking while the kids were playing footie on the green. They were reluctant to move until the group behind us drove the green and as I had warned them were in danger.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a pond in front of our par 3 5th, one evening there were 3 Eastern Europeans fishing, presumably for their tea. They didn't move while our 4 ball all played,even though it's only 125 yards to the middle.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
A loved up couple having a quickie between the fifth tee and the 11th fairway. Ok, they were in the trees, but there are only 3 trees, and 15 yards off the fairway. Full on, clothes off, girl on top, going at it.

Just didn't give a stuff.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Playing the Fores course at Le Touquet many moons ago, we were following a family. Mum and dad had a buggy each, with the kids split between the two. Horrendously slow but, tbh, it was a lovely sunny day. They waved us through on the 10th tee, as they got the picnic hamper out of the buggy and set up base camp for a good while. Bizarrely, it actually felt right. The kids disappeared exploring in the woods... it was a lovely, idyllic scene.

They appeared back at the clubhouse nearly 2 hours after we finished, having let plenty of groups through.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At Heaton Park there's quite often people shooting rabbits and trying to sell them to you between the 8th and 9th tee. I can't imagine they get many takers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Something happened to me today that has never happened in 30+ years of playing. In the medal and not playing well over the first three but making a score somehow. On the fourth tee and par would get me through the tough opening quartet in the equivalent of level 2's. Tee it up and as I got to the top of the downswing and stated down, I could clearly see the ball toppling off the tee. Tried to play catch up to no avail and made the merest touch and moved it five yard right and a yard forward. Ended with a double and on the back foot after that

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve never the ball end up behind me
Off the tee before until last week...

Teed off but hooked it straight into our bags that were 50 yards up the fairway.. smashed it back accross the par 3 we had just played. My pp was convinced I had to play it (match play) I later discovered I was right free replay as was his bag not mine

Still won the hole as he lost his tee shot. Irony

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When playing yesterday and enjoying being out in the lovely weather for the first time this year, we were rather surprised to see a family laying out a picnic on the 8th fairway, mum, dad and a couple of little kids who were playing football!!

I went over and had a polite word with them, "they didn't realise they couldn't picnic there"

Anyone seen any other odd things?
Had a similar experience myself. Playing at Ruislip (public course), we got to the par 3 seventh, and saw a lad and a girl sitting on a picnic blanket on the green. We stood staring at them and waving for 30 seconds before they got the message and scarpered off.

Another time playing at West London (Northolt) nine hole course, there was a couple of kids - looked like an older sister and younger brother - wandering around with a carrier bag picking up golf balls. Wouldn't care if they were just in the trees and rough, but the little git actually picked up my ball that I'd just landed on the fairway and chucked it in his bag with the others! I starting running up there yelling for him to put it back, eventually he threw a ball out of his bag in the general area and ran off. Wasn't even the right ball, it was some other old knackered one. I was fuming!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago on a Sunday morning we arrived at the 10th green. The flag had been replaced with a pair of ladies skimpy knickers.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few years ago a young couple put on a 'display' in their bedroom window that backed on to one of the par 3 tees. There were three groups on the tee at one stage and no one playing the hole. I'm not sure what the hold up was!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A bunch of teenagers playing a 5 a side ice hockey match with spectators on the frozen lake.
Late in the day on an early part of the course, causing nae bother.
I did warn them that it was 8' deep but they laughed and said they could all swim.