Nearest point of relief

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My guess is that the NPR is the point beyond where the very existence of the track has changed the nature of the 'rest of the course' compared with how it would probably have been had the track not been there.

Well to continue in the slightly pedantic mode (not actually unreasonable here imo), it's purely about relief from the interference. Normally, the rough at the edge of the track is different (not cut as low) as that nearby. That 3-4 inches, or even more would be different if the trcak wasn't there, but it's not part of the track.

So purely 'edge of the track and a bit for the where a stroke wouldn't be interfered with by the track. Then drop within 1 club length.....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well to continue in the slightly pedantic mode (not actually unreasonable here imo), it's purely about relief from the interference. Normally, the rough at the edge of the track is different (not cut as low) as that nearby. That 3-4 inches, or even more would be different if the trcak wasn't there, but it's not part of the track.

So purely 'edge of the track and a bit for the where a stroke wouldn't be interfered with by the track. Then drop within 1 club length.....

OK - so being absolutely pedantic as we are allowed here. There will be a point at the junction of track and rest of course. But place a ball at that point and the club will overlap or touch the track and so the track can be deemed to interfere with a stroke were the ball to be positioned at that point. So the NPR becomes that point where you could place a club behind the ball with the entire clubhead 'on' the course and without the track having any influence on the stroke (other than the unfortunate distracting fact of it being there).

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That sounds fine.

Here's the last part of the Definition of NPR

Note: In order to determine the nearest point of relief accurately, the player should use the club with which he would have made his next stroke if the condition were not there to simulate the address position, direction of play and swing for such a stroke.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
That sounds fine.

Here's the last part of the Definition of NPR

Note: In order to determine the nearest point of relief accurately, the player should use the club with which he would have made his next stroke if the condition were not there to simulate the address position, direction of play and swing for such a stroke.

yup - I'm aware of that - but I wonder if everyone is - well actually I know that they are not.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am probably misreading what you're saying, but when it talks about being unaffected by the relief, doesn't that include your stance? So to get the nearest point of relief, you would take a stance as close to the track, without being on it. Where your club touches the ground, that is your NPR, and you are allowed one club length from there? Or am I completely wrong?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am probably misreading what you're saying, but when it talks about being unaffected by the relief, doesn't that include your stance? So to get the nearest point of relief, you would take a stance as close to the track, without being on it. Where your club touches the ground, that is your NPR, and you are allowed one club length from there? Or am I completely wrong?

In my example the track is through rough on the RHS of the fairway and the ball is closest to the LHS (fairway side) of the track. If it was nearer the RHS of the track then - yes - your NPR would be defined by your address when you are standing clear of the track and to the RHS of it.

Of course I have forgotten what you do if you find your stance is on the track after dropping your ball and it is within one club length of the NPR. I think that as soon as you drop the ball and it is stationary, within one club length of the NPR and not on the track, then that is the original relief situation over. However if you have to then stand on the track to take your stance to address the ball then you are in another relief situation.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
yup - I'm aware of that - but I wonder if everyone is - well actually I know that they are not.

What Smartfone would you use as a DMD in a comp then? :whoo:

At CheltenhamHacker. Way back, SLH posted that it was on the 'nearest' side of the trck. But your point about stance is correct.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my example the track is through rough on the RHS of the fairway and the ball is closest to the LHS (fairway side) of the track. If it was nearer the RHS of the track then - yes - your NPR would be defined by your address when you are standing clear of the track and to the RHS of it.

Of course I have forgotten what you do if you find your stance is on the track after dropping your ball and it is within one club length of the NPR. I think that as soon as you drop the ball and it is stationary, within one club length of the track, and not on the track then that is relief over. If you have to stand on the track to hit the ball then you do.

Ahhh that makes sense. So I wasn't disagreeing with you, just reading different things!!

By my reckoning, I would have thought you drop again, as you're still entitled to relief? Otherwise you're not getting the relief you're entitled to.....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course I have forgotten what you do if you find your stance is on the track after dropping your ball and it is within one club length of the NPR. I think that as soon as you drop the ball and it is stationary, within one club length of the NPR and not on the track, then that is the original relief situation over. However if you have to then stand on the track to take your stance to address the ball then you are in another relief situation.

If you have not got full relief after you have dropped your ball and it has come to rest , then you must drop again.

Rule 20-2c(v).

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-20/#20-2