My swing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having real trouble recently with shanks. Had a lesson on Friday and worked on keeping the weight on the inside of the right foot (I was sawying instead of turning) and then getting the hips to move down the line and not spin out. Its not perfect but I really smoked this particular 7 iron. The tempo is way quicker than of late and the work I'd done on slowing everything down but I needed to work on swing itself. I'm up for the usual critique (witty comments, slating etc)

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your swing is a lot more solid that it was previously

Comparing your swing to number 18 on your photobucket (18 April 09 and you're wearing a fetching pastel yellow top)

Looks like your foundations are a lot stronger this time around. x

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit that I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about when commenting on someones swing (just like any other double digit handicapper) - but you did ask for comment :D :D

Should your spine angle be approx 45 degrees from the vertical at address or are you far too tall for your clubs?

Good takeaway but you seem to perhaps fall off a bit on the downswing - almost as if you are trying to lift the ball rather than driving through and letting the loft of the club do it's job.

Great finishing pose though.

I've got to ask. Just how much have you spent on lessons this year???

BTW, are those your balls 10/20 yds in front of your bay?
:D :D :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
It certainly looks different to some of the others.

To me (and you know I tell it like I see it, right or wrong) I reckon you might like to work on your initial posture. The thing is that you've got the opposite to "head dip".....ideally, you want to have a fixed axis and a.t.m. you are rather coming up on the way down. You must be doing this to "make space" (as I think of it) for your arms and club. Maybe if you started in better shape, you'd stay in better shape.

I could direct you to lots of photos, but you know the deal, maybe ask your pro next lesson.

I leave you with old Tom....just imagine you are him!!

inar01_watson.jpg

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
You do need to improve your posture at address,and try and reduce the moving parts.Knees flexed and firmer,butt out back straight.Your core should then be firmer and you can rotate more and not come up before you hit the ball.
It sounds complicated but it will all click into place if you get your posture correct.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your address needs......addressing, it's very cramped and not very athletic. I'd hazard that this will be contributing to the swaying problems you had and the "standing up" out of the swing that comes later.

The most obvious problem is that jumping up out of the swing you have. From previous posts you have said that you are pretty short, this would help explain why. Unless you are consistent with this move I'd imagine distance and trajectory control are hit and miss also. The ball never sees the full meat of the clubface returned with your weight turning towards the target.

Not sure why your pro has you working on tempo whilst you have this going on??

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
To me from a nice solid set up you seem to move about a lot, your head moves forward and then backwards. You need to address the movement try to relax the back and maybe work on some stretches if you are unable to maintain your spine angle

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd have to say your position at address looks weak shoulders hunched chin a bit low tey putting your shoulders back it will also bring up your chin and give u a stronger set up.
Mike

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Had a lesson on Friday and worked on keeping the weight on the inside of the right foot (I was sawying instead of turning) and then getting the hips to move down the line and not spin out. Its not perfect but I really smoked this particular 7 iron. The tempo is way quicker than of late and the work I'd done on slowing everything down but I needed to work on swing itself.

I'm confused Martin, weight, hips, tempo... how can you address these things if you're not fixing the bigger issues?

When you watch the vid of your swing are you happy?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm confused Martin, weight, hips, tempo... how can you address these things if you're not fixing the bigger issues?
When you watch the vid of your swing are you happy?

I've got to be honest.
If I had commited the amount of time, effort and cash that you obviously have to lessons Martin, I'd be a bit cheesed off that my posture wasn't sorted out earlier.
I had 3 lessons earlier this year and my posture was not disimilar to yours. The first (first) thing the pro worked on was getting me to stand up straighter to the ball, and not be as hunched over it as I tend to do.
I gave up after 3 as I couldn't get my head around it or get my 53 year old body to do what he was asking me to do. After 20 odd years of playing the way I do, I guess I just accepted what I had and have stuck with it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I happen to think that the posture looks pretty nice at setup with a 7-iron (you need to be watching it full screen Smiffy).

and subsequently I'm not entirely sure why RGDave went on to post a pic of Tom Watson with a driver?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you look at the angle between your arms and the club at the address position, then look at impact, you will see that you have no angle. Not sure if this is causing you to "fall back" or the fall backs causing your arms/wrists to straighten. But the impact position is totally different from address.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I just wonder if your pro is leaving the overall swing alone and just focusing on a few tweaks.
After all, if the swing has got you down to 11, you must be doing something right.
All right, it's not a thing of beauty and not everyone can swing like Rory M, so Homer, I would try and simplify your swing thoughts.
The problem with lots of lessons is lots of changes and information overload spoils any chance of making a confident swing.
Approach each shot with the minimum of fuss and keep your focus clear on 1 or 2 things maximum.

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
try not to change your spine angle before impact.

Watch the best...

Woods, Nicklaus and Watson are examples...

They don't change their spine angle too much...

only after impact.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also think the pro may be working on other things first. As he works on the changes other things may click into place. Sometimes seeing your swing on video highlights things your pro may want to work on later and you may be best not looking. Agree with Bob, you are obviously doing something well if you have come down to 11. At least you are woking at getting lower, not all the members at my club see the benefit of lessons :(