Natural tempo too fast

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Everyone seems to have a natural swing tempo - the speed at which they swing when not thinking about it.
I believe my natural tempo is too fast. When I get in a pickle, deliberately slowing the swing usually helps to improve ball striking.
But having to try and concentate on slowing things down all the time is an ordeal.
Are there any tips on training your body to acquire a slower natural tempo?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't worry about it being quick, everyone is different.
What I will suggest is don't think slow, try and think smooth and always try and finish balanced.
That way you can still be quick but you will be in control.

D

Deleted member 1147

What’s too quick? Fitzpatrick is very quick and he does ok

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What’s too quick? Fitzpatrick is very quick and he does ok
Ah, but he is quick and in control, same as Rory. Very difficult for most club players to swing fast and keep all the other moving parts in sync.

For the OP, I try to think of Colin Montgomerie swinging and that helps me. Other tips I've been given previously are to say a name on the backswing and downswing. Severiano Ballesteros is a common one. You shouldn't be hitting the ball until you reach the final S. Give that a go, it helps to slow the tempo without simply thinking about swinging slowly.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their comments.

As Bob says, it smoothness that's needed rather than any particular speed.
But in my case, smoothness seems to come as a result of slowing the swing down.

I've heard a similar one to the Severiano Ballesteros trick: counting to 4 - you count 1,2,3 to get to the top of the backswing, then hit the ball on 4.

But all these things require conscious thought. My guess is that "proper" golfers don't need to think about it - they just do it naturally.
I suppose I am destined never to be a proper golfer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've heard a similar one to the Severiano Ballesteros trick: counting to 4 - you count 1,2,3 to get to the top of the backswing, then hit the ball on 4.

But all these things require conscious thought. My guess is that "proper" golfers don't need to think about it - they just do it naturally.
Welcome to the club 😄.

The good thing about reciting a name, or numbers, is that you aren't thinking quite so hard about slowing down. The idea is that over time you don't have to use this trick to slow yourself down, it becomes natural. I don't have to think it all of the time now but if I ever get too quick I say it in my head for 3-4 holes just to get the rhythm back again, a reset in effect. It shouldn't be permanent but you have to start at some point to get to the next stage.

robbeh32

Visit site
I often have the same problem thinking the faster I go the further im going to hit it. Problem is it becomes rushed and messy and effects my strike massively. I find it very difficult to gain more distance for this very problem.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Maybe "proper" golfers just got into a good rhythm early on in their learning process, it's never too late to try something new .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Get a video on YouTube of Fred Couples.
Best tempo in the World imo.
watch it when your struggling.