My swing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks one and all for your comments. Useful as always. A couple of points. Having had a real bad case of the shanks and hardly able to get a 7 iron going forward and more than 100 yards I needed a quick fix for yesterday.

As a result I was concentrating solely on the turn with the weight inside of the right foot to stop the sway that had crept in. As a result the tempo was back to the old ways with a noticeable overswing and so a lateral change of height. To be fair the guy looked at my set up and got me working on a balance rod (weight falling forward = shank) but said the posture was ok but got me to open my feet up

As the lesson was only an hour (and a band aid job) he obviously couldn't sort everything out. To make it clear, the work I've been doing on tempo is designed to give myself more time to make a turn (I just swayed and got the weight movement all wrong) and the extra time will generate a faster clubhead through the downswing withouthaving to feel the need to overswing to generate the power. Its all to do with a 3:1 swing ratio where the tempo back is 3 times slower than the transition and downswing.

The reason we are doing it tempo first is that it should when I get it right give me the time to turn compactly and there will be less chance of the club getting trapped or a need for me to have to lift out and lose the spine angle to get back to the ball.

I don't think the address was too bad. Here is another clip from the same session where I maybe standing a fraction taller. Is there any difference?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My tuppence worth, which isn't worth as much as that...

You say this is back to your normal tempo, but I don't think it looks much too fast. Maybe a tad, but not a lot.

The other thing I think I noticed as I was trying to play it one frame at a time, is that your first move in the takeaway is to break your arm shape (and maybe your wrists although it's hard to tell from behind the line) to move the club away from the ball.
I'm not saying I'm doing it right, but I try to take the club away by turning my shoulders rather than 'picking it up'.

The usual 'pinch of salt' disclaimer applies, as there are others far more qualified than I.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My previous comments (including wtf do I know) still apply, except in the latest clip you are bent even further over the ball at address.

Watch your head position in relation to the trees in the background. Back swing is fine. But watch your head and body moving up and away from the ball at transition giving the impression on the downswing of falling off the ball and trying to help it up into the air.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
and subsequently I'm not entirely sure why RGDave went on to post a pic of Tom Watson with a driver?

Driver, Lob Wedge, piece of 4 by 2, length of pipe, two anacondas.....what does it matter. The point is I thought it was a good picture of pretty sublime posture, and a good image to take to the practice ground.

Which Tiger do you prefer?....or maybe neither

Tiger-Posture.jpg

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Driver, Lob Wedge, piece of 4 by 2, length of pipe, two anacondas.....what does it matter. The point is I thought it was a good picture of pretty sublime posture, and a good image to take to the practice ground.

Which Tiger do you prefer?....or maybe neither

Tiger-Posture.jpg

Tiger Woods? Tom Watson? WOW!, Homer is really up there with the greats :D

I'm not sure what Tom Watson with a driver or Tiger with a 3-wood has to do with homer hitting a 7-iron?

Here's Tiger, Lee Westwood and Luke Donald hitting short irons, if you think Homer should hit a 7-iron with a driver posture then that's cool, you're entitled to post what you think.

homeys.gif

I think that Homers setup is sufficient to provide him with a good opportunity to return the clubhead to the ball online and with power, is it perfect? No, but it's one less thing to think about if he can keep it natural like that.
I going to ASSUME that he would be standing slightly taller if he had a driver in his hand...... :D :D

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you sure you are shanking homer, it could be that with falling back a little on the strike you are hitting off the toe of the club rather than the hosel. Just a thought mate.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What i would say is that because at address your weight is more on your heels that you slightly sway towards the ball during your swing. This will cause the shank you are speaking of. You need the weight spread 50-50 between heel and toe. That is what my pro told me when i was doing that. It does look like it. Also it might be worth taking a side view of your swing to see how much your head and body sways in the swing. Hope this helps.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
My tuppence worth (and also wtf do I know) comment...

Bottom half looks like its letting your swing down by not providing a solid base. To me it looks like you are rocking on your feet a bit. Simple things to check are to proportion your weight better over your feet (so you dont tip forward or fall back through the swing) and perhaps flex your legs slightly more. I like to feel that my legs are firm at address but with some spring also.