My swing - videos included

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

I feel that I'll push the ball right when it's further back.

It feels like my lack of completing the swing left means that I hold off on it, leaving my hands out right. I feel that I've moved the ball forward slightly so that I catch the ball later in my arc and thus avoid the block right.

In reality, when I move it back on the range I'm not noticing much of a problem and it's something I'll be forcing myself to do in rounds.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I feel that I'll push the ball right when it's further back.

It feels like my lack of completing the swing left means that I hold off on it, leaving my hands out right. I feel that I've moved the ball forward slightly so that I catch the ball later in my arc and thus avoid the block right.

In reality, when I move it back on the range I'm not noticing much of a problem and it's something I'll be forcing myself to do in rounds.

By moving the ball forward you will be catching the ball later in the arc... and it's less likely to be coming from the inside by that time so it becomes harder to shape a soft draw. You do want that feeling of the clubface being everso slightly to the right at impact but the inside path will draw it back. Your swing is a little steep to get a solid 'from the inside' path so moving into the left side will promote that by lowering the plane and allowing your hands to be a little more ahead of the ball at impact, which they probably aren't right now. I like your ideal of getting the hands to exit more left but you won't be able to do that if you early extend through the hitting zone. See how much forward shaft lean Carl Petterson (the ultimate 'exit left' swing) has at impact...

Stop the vid at impact [video=youtube;YlcojRh5ge0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcojRh5ge0[/video]

This makes the club SHORTER so you don't NEED to stand up through the strike, it also makes an 8-iron go a 7-iron distance :whistle:

I can't TELL you what to do but if you don't understand impact then that nice swing you got going there won't amount to as much as it could. I wish you well with it.

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Cheers for that, JO. You make total sense and it's something I was conscious of... guess it's time to put in the hard yards and work on it. Back to the range I go tonight!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If my body would magically find the flexibility to take the club to parallel, I'd be over the moon. :D

A bit more wrist hinge - maybe hindered by the 'palms' grip - would get the club back plenty far enough imo.

This guy doesn't get his arms much higher than you but doesn't lack for distance! :)

[video=youtube;pZBczCac-rE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBczCac-rE[/video]

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Certainly agree about getting the weight onto the left side. You seem to almost be leaning back a bit at impact - which would also tend to mean that follow through is 'further right' than you want .

You also seem to be 'over-extending' (not the best description) the back-swing at the top - possibly in an effort to get the club horizontal. I'd suggest that you have a slightly shorter back-swing (it certainly doesn't seem short to me!). If you really want to get the club horizontal, you can do this by a better/greater wrist-cock. A 'palsmy' grip probably doesn't help. Back-swing also seems a little flat- at least at the start - and inside (maybe inconsistently?) but down-swing looks pretty good - that weight shift excepted. Swing looks better than an 18-capper!

Remember that simply making better(poorer) contact will gain(lose) 25 yards or more while 5mph extra club-head speed (pretty difficult to achieve imo!) will only gain about 15 yards!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Off to the range tonight so will work on getting my weight a little more onto the left side and will take some videos of my swing when doing so.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've not read through all the comments but I did see a couple about ball position. I agree that you need to stand a little closer to the ball, try to have your arms hanging straight down rather than reaching out. You also turn your head out of the shot very quickly, I'm guessing that with these two faults you have a tendency to hit the odd shot a bit thin and squirt one out to the right?

I would also work on trying to keep your right knee quiet on your backswing, little bit of a jumpy action going on there.

But otherwise plenty of good things in there, you seem to be striking it consistently.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
A little OTT caused by unwinding with the shoulders at the start of the backswing. I do this myself.

Go back slower and a tip I got from Bob (I think) pause a little at the top it will help with the transition. Do that with the headcover drill and it should help.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
A little OTT caused by unwinding with the shoulders at the start of the backswing. I do this myself.

Go back slower and a tip I got from Bob (I think) pause a little at the top it will help with the transition. Do that with the headcover drill and it should help.

I would 100% agree with the 'go back slower' tip but 100% disagree with the 'pause a little at the top' tip.

That transition part, IMHO, is a natural and instinctive thing. I've seen people with a very deliberate (to the point you could almost time it!) pause and those with a violent, blur of whirling action transition and all those points in between. They can all work, if shafts are matched to it to cater for the different forces, etc.

I don't think you can consciously try and change it though as I think in most amateur golfers, once you do that, other things in a 'natural' swing sequence will be 'out/off' if that makes sense.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
"Pause" may be the feel that some golfers need to stop the lower half unwinding too soon in the swing.
When that happens, the lower half can turn too soon leaving the hands 'up there' which means often, the shoulders, arms and club are thrown outside the preferred path. OTT.
I doubt there are many who actully stop at the top.
I like to think of the pause like a child on a swing changing direction.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I do start the down swing quickly and it's something that had crept back up again without my realising. My professional told me that imagine that my normal down swing goes off at 100mph. He told me to go at 20mph. When I achieved this feeling I wasn't losing any distance.

Out again this morning and hit a few... the good irons are drawing ever so slightly and the bad shot is the push right. Ball is feeling more natural every so slightly further back in my stance. I do feel a little closed to the ball but I've seen myself on video so know I'm not.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
"Pause" may be the feel that some golfers need to stop the lower half unwinding too soon in the swing.
When that happens, the lower half can turn too soon leaving the hands 'up there' which means often, the shoulders, arms and club are thrown outside the preferred path. OTT.

Sounds good and I agree with you. I fitted a guy last week for a driver shaft and he obviously just had way too much going on in his head - the pause at the top could almost be counted out loud! Threw everything else all to hell! He might be the exception though!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

Cough, Cough....Ahem...:whistle:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
29nwj1z.jpg

Is my wrist in an unnatural position for impact here? It looks like my wrist is excessively bowed?