My Swing Speed Journey

cunnini

Visit site
agree a bit about PRGR and same can be said for range TopTracer disctances, all seem a little toppy, but what i look for is the trend of speed over time. I tend to ignore fastest and slowest in 10 swings, and then i track the average of the last 4 sessions for average for session, fastest and slowest (ie in real terms 2nd fastest) - i'm trying to ignore spurious measurements - accoring to PRGR i've hid the odd 130mph clubhead speed shot!

The trends gradually going the right way is what i'm looking for, as gradual change i feel will be maintainable.

stevied

Visit site
I played today and of the 3 guys I was with I hit the longest drive on several occasions. Its definitely getting longer, also hit some great approaches.
This is from someone who has always been a pretty short hitter. Can't wait for the good weather.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I played today and of the 3 guys I was with I hit the longest drive on several occasions. Its definitely getting longer, also hit some great approaches.
This is from someone who has always been a pretty short hitter. Can't wait for the good weather.
In the same boat. I gained about 5 mph last year, which is 10-15yds on a drive. Which strokes gained estimates should be worth about 2 shots gained. I got slightly over that and to be 2 shots lowed than my best previous hc, and that was about 8 years ago.
Roughly, its one club shorter per hole.
Have gained about another 4-5mph since mid last summer, so should be a club shorter again. On target to reduce to 8 HI. But the proof of the pudding must wait until qualifying cards.
Cant believe I wasted 20 years before accepting distance is THE easiest way to improve your golf - and that significant gains can be made. Previously I followed the more or less accepted orthodoxy, that whatever distance you had, you had. And work on consistency, precision, and shortgame, was the path to improvement. A nonsense from the golf pros utterly blown away now by the biomechanists and physicists. The other big revelation is that with speed increase, comes a better, more consistent swing. Essentialy, speed lights up the path to swing improvement, not just distance gain.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the same boat. I gained about 5 mph last year, which is 10-15yds on a drive. Which strokes gained estimates should be worth about 2 shots gained. I got slightly over that and to be 2 shots lowed than my best previous hc, and that was about 8 years ago.
Roughly, its one club shorter per hole.
Have gained about another 4-5mph since mid last summer, so should be a club shorter again. On target to reduce to 8 HI. But the proof of the pudding must wait until qualifying cards.
Cant believe I wasted 20 years before accepting distance is THE easiest way to improve your golf - and that significant gains can be made. Previously I followed the more or less accepted orthodoxy, that whatever distance you had, you had. And work on consistency, precision, and shortgame, was the path to improvement. A nonsense from the golf pros utterly blown away now by the biomechanists and physicists. The other big revelation is that with speed increase, comes a better, more consistent swing. Essentialy, speed lights up the path to swing improvement, not just distance gain.
Have you done any practice on technique at all? Are the gains purely down to swing speed?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Have you done any practice on technique at all? Are the gains purely down to swing speed?
No, purely speed. I would have spent plenty of time trying to improve technique in the past at different times. Winter swing 'rebuild', different pro lessons, and groups of, at different times during the years, and read every book going: Modern Fundamentals, X-factor, The Plane Truth, Stack and tilt, etc. But none of them even made the needle flicker.
Short game was always worth a couple of shots to me - if I put some practice time to it, it sharpened up. But that just got me olaying off 12, rather than the 13 or 14.
Speed clearly broke through a previously unbreached ceiling.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, purely speed. I would have spent plenty of time trying to improve technique in the past at different times. Winter swing 'rebuild', different pro lessons, and groups of, at different times during the years, and read every book going: Modern Fundamentals, X-factor, The Plane Truth, Stack and tilt, etc. But none of them even made the needle flicker.
Short game was always worth a couple of shots to me - if I put some practice time to it, it sharpened up. But that just got me olaying off 12, rather than the 13 or 14.
Speed clearly broke through a previously unbreached ceiling.

Not to piss on your prade but you have to factor in we now have a handicap system that is at least a couple of shots lower for most playing half decent golf.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not to piss on your prade but you have to factor in we now have a handicap system that is at least a couple of shots lower for most playing half decent golf.
Yes, aware of that one. But the reduction applies most to lower single digits (certainly 2-3 hcs of old in our club can now reach scratch), and on the other side, 20 somethings who have had hcs increase (cue cries about impossible to beat them now, crazy scores, etc). But balance point was about 15 where no change in theory between the two systems. So might be a factor of a couple of decimal points from 13. But the 2.8 drop last year is more than that. Didnt put in many cards in 2020 due to covid, but played lots in 2021 and 2022 (paradoxically, again, due to covid), so under WHS, but hc just bobbled around the 13 it had always been under UHS. Started the push for speed in early 2023 when I got a PRGR. I would credit that as the single best golf tool ever...what gets measured, improves...
(no scientific analysis, but of my peers in the long term stable 12-15 range that I have played with for years, have hardly moved, UHS to WHS)

And revising/clarifying a little my earlier answer on technique. I wasnt taking lessons, working on positions as such. So still no in a way as the answer to that question.
But in another way, pushing to see that mph readout increase, I think probably has changed my technique. But in a more natural way. I am not thinking positions, videoing, or trying any specific method.

Aside from HI, the breakthrough is evident in the gross scores. In 20 years i the club, had broken 80 twice, each time a 79 (par 71). Last summer, I broke it three times, a 77, and two 78s. They were the scores that pushed thse HI down really. No 79. Next best were a couple of 81s.

Last edited:

Springveldt

Visit site
A few general observations :
Stack app estimate of totally distance seems ridiculous. For an 97mph swing it gives 268 total. Maybe that is on US desert courses, or links here in a dry summer. 101 it gives 281. No chance. My PRGR, a friends SC300, pro's GC3, all give those 100-101 hits at 250 something total, and seem more realistic.
A 100 mph clubhead speed should give you high 140's ball speed on good connections so depending on launch variables I can see that reaching over 270 total in the summer as the carry alone should be around 240. Even with parkland courses you will get over 20 yards of run during the summer.

If a swing in the 100 mph range is only giving 250 total then it must be due to poor contact causing lower ball speed and more spin. Either that or you are playing some very soft, fluffy fairways. :LOL:

Springveldt

Visit site
@DeanoMK sorry for the hijack. :)

Started back with the SuperSpeed sticks today at lunch time. I'm using the older blue speed radar so the readings are different from the PRGR, I think the PRGR is a few mph slower than the blue radar.

Green (light) - 118mph, Blue (medium) - 117mph, Red (heavy) - 110mph then final green ones fastest was 127mph.

Checked my spreadsheet and I stopped doing SuperSpeed last July and the final readings at the time were Green 128, Blue 124, Red 120, Final green 133 so I obviously have a bit of work to do. But, my first readings in 2023 for that 8 weeks session were Green 109, Blue 106 and Red 99 so I'm starting this year from a much better place.

The aim is to get the speed back up to same as last July by the start of April which should be doable I think if I commit to 3 sessions a week and the daily stretching routine.

I was on Trackman back in October and my average driver speed was 106, with a best ball speed of 158 and carry of 260. These were easily the fastest/longest I'd ever been on a launch monitor so again, if I can get back to that for the start of the season that would be good. Previous bests on Trackman were clubhead 102, ball speed 152 and carry of 249.

Interestingly the SuperSpeed site has an article on how fast you should swing your driver based on the speed of your sticks which was bang on with me.

105mph driver is green 125, blue 121 and red 117 which I was slightly above and averaged 106mph on Trackman so it looks like I've lost about 5mph since October.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
A 100 mph clubhead speed should give you high 140's ball speed on good connections so depending on launch variables I can see that reaching over 270 total in the summer as the carry alone should be around 240. Even with parkland courses you will get over 20 yards of run during the summer.

If a swing in the 100 mph range is only giving 250 total then it must be due to poor contact causing lower ball speed and more spin. Either that or you are playing some very soft, fluffy fairways. :LOL:
Yes, more like mid 140s though. Typically 144-147. The best ones a few more. Have hit 150 a couple of times, but never more. Carry is 23X -240, and monitor seems to add 20 for roll. Carry looks correct by sight with range balls, as I clear a 225yd marker at the range but cannot get to the 250 on the fly, and landing does look about 10 short of that. Ground soft so no roll at the moment really, and havent played on a course since Christmas. Need to see what it does as real golf comes back in April.

(😉And anyway, I know I have 20 yards to call on whenever I want it by changing my R11 to a Qi10 (not to mention 20 more if I get fitted!). But dont want to move to fast and be playing off 4 before the end of May 😉)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
@DeanoMK sorry for the hijack. :)

Started back with the SuperSpeed sticks today at lunch time. I'm using the older blue speed radar so the readings are different from the PRGR, I think the PRGR is a few mph slower than the blue radar.

Green (light) - 118mph, Blue (medium) - 117mph, Red (heavy) - 110mph then final green ones fastest was 127mph.

Checked my spreadsheet and I stopped doing SuperSpeed last July and the final readings at the time were Green 128, Blue 124, Red 120, Final green 133 so I obviously have a bit of work to do. But, my first readings in 2023 for that 8 weeks session were Green 109, Blue 106 and Red 99 so I'm starting this year from a much better place.

The aim is to get the speed back up to same as last July by the start of April which should be doable I think if I commit to 3 sessions a week and the daily stretching routine.

I was on Trackman back in October and my average driver speed was 106, with a best ball speed of 158 and carry of 260. These were easily the fastest/longest I'd ever been on a launch monitor so again, if I can get back to that for the start of the season that would be good. Previous bests on Trackman were clubhead 102, ball speed 152 and carry of 249.

Interestingly the SuperSpeed site has an article on how fast you should swing your driver based on the speed of your sticks which was bang on with me.

105mph driver is green 125, blue 121 and red 117 which I was slightly above and averaged 106mph on Trackman so it looks like I've lost about 5mph since October.
I don't mind at all. The more that discuss it, the better.

I'm away this week so having a 7 day break, will be interesting to see what my numbers are on Sunday when I'm back on it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, more like mid 140s though. Typically 144-147. The best ones a few more. Have hit 150 a couple of times, but never more. Carry is 23X -240, and monitor seems to add 20 for roll. Carry looks correct by sight with range balls, as I clear a 225yd marker at the range but cannot get to the 250 on the fly, and landing does look about 10 short of that. Ground soft so no roll at the moment really, and havent played on a course since Christmas. Need to see what it does as real golf comes back in April.

(😉And anyway, I know I have 20 yards to call on whenever I want it by changing my R11 to a Qi10 (not to mention 20 more if I get fitted!). But dont want to move to fast and be playing off 4 before the end of May 😉)
Rule of thumb is total possible distance is 2.7 x swing speed and I have found 1.7 x ball speed .. so what ever you have a direct measurement of these two formulas will give you a credible target value.

I have managed to tune all my equipment, now I am tuning myself. I won’t follow a speed sticks regime, my general goal is to build my core strength up and improve my leg muscles to protect my knees. Also increase my flexibility with a bit of yoga..
I need to get a datum point, now that I am happy with my driver and see where I am. The last one I had was January but it was not ideal at 136mph ball speed. The driver shaft has grown by 1.5” and the face is same, head weight is slightly less.

cunnini

Visit site
back on the stack lunchtime today - have done sessions last few weeks but had a little wrist injury so took it easy/carefully. after each session i hit about 8-10 drivers and back up at 100,101 102 today, which compares to 93-94-95 before i started. 2 more sessions in the foundation to go........

Springveldt

Visit site
Did Superspeed today since it was raining at lunchtime yesterday.
Green 120, Blue 118, Red 113 then final green at 130 which I was happy with.

Will probably be back up to last July speeds in the next 3 sessions I think. Will probably go to stage 2 then and add in the heal stomps drill.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did Superspeed today since it was raining at lunchtime yesterday.
Green 120, Blue 118, Red 113 then final green at 130 which I was happy with.

Will probably be back up to last July speeds in the next 3 sessions I think. Will probably go to stage 2 then and add in the heal stomps drill.
Do you take that speed to the course ?

Springveldt

Visit site
Do you take that speed to the course ?
No, nowhere near. It’s measured by the older blue swing speed radar which reads higher than the PRGR so the light green and medium blue sticks seem stupid fast. Superspeed has an article on what it translates to as clubhead speed, last July I had green at 133, blue 128 and red 123 which superspeed says translates to between 105 and 110 clubhead speed. On trackman in October I averaged 106 with driver with fastest being 109 when I swung hard at it.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, nowhere near. It’s measured by the older blue swing speed radar which reads higher than the PGRG so the light green and medium blue sticks seem stupid fast. Superspeed has an article on what it translates to as clubhead speed, last July I had green at 133, blue 128 and red 123 which superspeed says translates to between 105 and 110 clubhead speed. On trackman in October I averaged 106 with driver with fastest being 109 when I swung hard at it.
Ah okay because I was thinking is this just driver or does it translate into irons as well?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Came across this, which does seem in line with my experience of 90mph to 100mph.
1708672591645.png