My Swing Clip - Comments Please

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think when I got the software originally it was only something silly like £10 to get the split screen. It is funny putting one of my swing against a top golfer and seeing just how far short I am

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overswinging a bit - you are collapsing your left arm too much on the backswing which is dropping the club way past parallel.

Do you have any tips for this?....I can pay! :)

My left arm is a disaster. I chatted to a young chap at the range t'other day. He's had 8 lessons and played less than 20 rounds of golf. His left arm was bolt straight all the way to the top. He was struggling to hit the ball straight, but his strike and distance were great. Put me to shame.

If I could fix one thing, this would be first on my list.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess it's not as simple as just concentrating on keeping your left arm as straight as you can otherwise you'd have done it.

What's causing you to bend it, or stopping you from keeping it straight?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it's not as simple as just concentrating on keeping your left arm as straight as you can otherwise you'd have done it.

What's causing you to bend it, or stopping you from keeping it straight?

You know me so well!!! LOL

It's a mystery.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you tried forcing it?
There must be a training aid (HH?) to help. A V-Easy up your sleeve? :)

Failing that... 12" of drainpipe from B&Q and some duct tape :D

Then swing slowly to get the feeling of it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried a 2 ltr coke bottle around my elbow. That failed.
I tried an elbow fabric support with bits of dowelling, I just broke them.
I am at a loss.
It's truly depressing.

I think it all come from the way I learned to play. Perhaps if someone had explained it's good to swing with a straight or straight-ish left arm I might have got it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe I should try this

"One of the defining elements, the hallmark of a great golf swing, is a straight left arm. There is a direct relationship between a straight left arm and how well one plays our game. A straight left arm provides a wider arc which provides more power and consistency.

Think of an accordion door that can collapse. It can never consistently close properly. Think of a porch swing. How smooth do you suppose the swing would "swing" if the chain didn't stay straight?

A straight left arm not only has many positive functions, but it looks cool. A bent left arm is a sign of a beginner or a golfer who never took having a nice swing seriously. Besides it looks crappy.

Here is THE secret trick between you and me. If you tell your buddies how you suddenly over came the aggravating bent left arm, they will continue to whup your butt. Promise not to tell? Scout's Honor? Sign here___________ and proceed below.

1). Take a comfortable address position with your left arm comfortably straight. There should be no tension and the left arm should be straight (not stiff) but loose and relaxed . . . but (again) STRAIGHT.

2). Swing the club straight up, in front of your face, and directly over the top of your head.

3). Look up and notice that your left arm has remained straight. You are looking between your elbows, your hands are directly over your head, your left arm relaxed but straight.

4). Turn your left shoulder to the right . . . & point it slightly behind the ball. Make sure you let your hips turn, your left heel comes off the ground and there is no tension in your swing. If you feel tension, turn more.

5). You will notice that you have no problem keeping your left arm straight. Repeat this drill until it is very natural to keep your left arm straight.

6). Take you normal swing. If the left arm bends, repeat the steps above until it doesn't.

Keeping the left arm straight is easy and you should have it licked in a very short period of time.
I trust you to honor our agreement. Tell no one! "

What d'you reckon? :)