Multiple year membership discounts

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A club I belong to are considering a suggestion of offering a discount on members who take out multiple year memberships.
They are looking for ideas of what scale of discounts to offer.
Anyone belong to clubs that offer multiple year membership discounts.
For example cheaper membership fees if you pay for say 3 or 5 year membership in advance.
If so can you give examples showing the savings that are available?

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
A club I belong to are considering a suggestion of offering a discount on members who take out multiple year memberships.
They are looking for ideas of what scale of discounts to offer.
Anyone belong to clubs that offer multiple year membership discounts.
For example cheaper membership fees if you pay for say 3 or 5 year membership in advance.
If so can you give examples showing the savings that are available?

The only example I can remember was a club I was at previously offered lifetime membership.

This was not heavilly publicised and i think they only e-mailed certain long standing members who were of a certain age and they thought would be interested.

The figures I heard was that it was £6,000 - which was in comparison to fee in the range of about £740 or so per annum.

Clearly something like this requires careful management as you could open the club up to a serious cash flow deficit in future years.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Multiple year discounts is the start of a smooth road down a rocky decline and the club should be encouraged to permanently ditch this idea.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Multiple year discounts is the start of a smooth road down a rocky decline and the club should be encouraged to permanently ditch this idea.

I would tend to agree with this.

Unless it is for some one off cash flow to develop something that will very likely lead to improved revenues.

If it is simply to keep things going - for example essential maintenance - then you are simply robbing peter to pay paul.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

They did this at ours a few years ago and we now have a whole bunch of life members who are basically getting their golf for free. The knock on is that we are all but full as there is no capacity for extra members on the weekend but running a budget for 3/4's membership !!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a friend who took a "10 year offer" at Brocket Hall which safe to say he regretted!!

My old man was screwed over by Brocket Hall too (despite everything he had done for the club and its owners), utter embarrassment how they got away with what they did and that most of the golf industry turns a blind eye to it, even more worrying is plenty of those who were screwed over have now gone back at increased rates!!!!

Club ive just left offered pay for 4 years up front get a 5th year free (had very little take up)

Mentmore went bust a couple of years ago, it had become heavily burdened by having a lot of lifetime members who werent paying a sub, leaving them having greater expenses than monies coming in. again farcically he was allowed to buy it back cheaply, albeit he hasnt managed to reopen it yet (still trying to get to build that elusive hotel on the site)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't see any logic other than to get a short term cash injection and my first question to that would be why are they needing this extra cash so quickly and why hadn't it been budgeted for