Muirfield

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
been invited to play in a couple of weeks and cannot wait!!!

Anyone on here played it and can give advice? or at least what to expect. We are going for lunch in Clubhouse after which requires collar and tie which usually for me is too old fashioned and stuffy but for a one off quite happy to do.

I've heard they've relaxed the rules regarding entry now too... so taking the dog but the wife has to stay at home :whoo:

Playing Gleneagles PGA centenery on 12th November then Muirfield on 14th so what a few days that will be- the golf weather gods better be kind to me!!!

D

Deleted member 23270

I've played it......it's alright ;)

I didn't find it stuffy, food was great and I have no issues changing into J&T for lunch, all part of the experience to me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Anyone on here played it and can give advice? or at least what to expect. We are going for lunch in Clubhouse after which requires collar and tie which usually for me is too old fashioned and stuffy but for a one off quite happy to do.

I've heard they've relaxed the rules regarding entry now too... so taking the dog but the wife has to stay at home :whoo:

Playing Gleneagles PGA centenery on 12th November then Muirfield on 14th so what a few days that will be- the golf weather gods better be kind to me!!!

i'm lucky enough to have played it a fair few times now. Its always in great condition even in winter. Not overly long if its the tee's of the day. Best to play in the morning if you are just having the one round as afternoons is foursomes i think.

when i first went the Lunch was superb, but in subsequent visits i found it had gone downhill a little if not playing with a member.

with a member its outstanding;)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played it several times, always found the hospitality first rate.

I did try and sneak in the day before to take some photos, but was told very politely by the guy on the gate that "I'll look forward to welcoming ye back in the marnin'!"

I think changing for lunch is better than being sat next to someone smelling of sweat or damp clothing! :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Played it quite a few times via various means - member's guest, part of 'society' or simply ringing up a dav or several before (having checked the weather forecast!) the required (Autumn through Spring) visitors day. Fabulous experience, both from a Golf and History point of view! Course will always be beautifully set up - fair but challenging; not incredibly tough, but make sure you don't venture into the rough or some of the bunkers!. The Psr 3s are some of the best around (2nd only to Swinley Forest as a 'set' imo). The Lunch is also something of an event - like being back at School! Afternoon round is 2-ball only, so Foursomes if you are a 4-ball. 4-Balls start on the 10th in the morning too - either tee start is fine. 11th is the only official blind tee shot - favour the left as the fairway slopes to the right. I consider the 6th as blind shot too though - and that should be played down the right (taking on the dogleg is suicidal!) to give a view of the green.

Greens will be classic links - fast (though not incredibly so) and true. A great mix of dead flat, subtle breaks, sloping and roly-poly.

Enjoy! I'm sure it'll knock the pants off the PGA National!

Qbduncan

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've played great experience and was very welcoming. Shot 4 over round the front which for me is pretty much a miracle!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played it once and enjoyed it thoroughly. Very friendly and welcoming, contrary to reputation, and a great course - still my #1.

Likewise, same day and same fourball (I don't think we played doubles that day but we would have won anyway :rofl: ).

Amazing to think that blue sky and cracking March day was followed by snow not 10 days later.

nairn1967

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played there a couple of weeks ago, course is in great condition as always, lunch fantastic...

jacket & tie not my style but as a one off its no big deal, great thing about the lunch you are seated onto the end of company already seated and all are encouraged to interact with each other , met some interesting folk there over the last few years :cheers: