Moving Into the 3rd Year :)

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Ok, ive been playing for 2 years now and shooting 85 pretty constantly, even on new courses :)
I am kinda proud of myself I've put alot of work in over the past 2 winters to get pretty consistent im quite happy
with my game.

My question is what happens now? What should I expect next year, will my progress really slow down?
Id love to get down to single figures by the end of next year which would mean breaking 80 pretty often.

What have everyone else done on here, few more lessons? time to join a club? time to start playing competitions?
maybe even replace my shovel like Di9 clubs?

Any advice appreciated :)

Thanks
Mattie

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would join a club and hammer the practise grounds spend a couple of hours on chipping and putting as these are the backbone for going low,get yourself an h/cap but resist playing in to many comps get a feel for the course as not playing well with a card in your hand could make you lose interest and hold fire on your club change they have done you look up to now,see how you get on and don't be fooled by salesmen telling you xyz will sort your game out,practice practice practice.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Join a club of any sorts to obtain you hc, and continue to enjoy it. People lose track that this is meant to be fun. It's taking it too serious that ruins golf

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
Funny how many people play better when with mates etc. but come the Medal off the whites it goes pear shaped. So I'd say next year get your head around proper medal comps where everything is holed out and the pressure is on to either win a medal, get a birdie for the 2's, get a cut or stay in the buffer zone.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Join a club and see how things go with a competitive edge and 0.1 back for a bad round! If no sign of geniuine improvement then lessons would be the next step and lots of practice

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the other posters. You will never improve until you start playing true competitive golf with a scorecard which is going to be judged against other players trying to win a competition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nothing will really be sorted until you get a club, get an official handicap and then have to defend it in a medal when you open bogey, double, bogey. Other than that I'd say keep with the lessons and work on the short game from 100 yards and in

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks all :)

I do play in the comp at work and I won that last year came second this year off a h/c of 12 so im not too bad with the pressure, especially coming from a tennis background.

Got a few months to save up for membership I supopse and Upton GC is literally round the corner from me :)

Thanks all
Mattie