Motocaddy lithium battery repair.

Pwatt118

Visit site
Good morning everyone.
Just a quick question, I recently bought a cheap replacement lead acid battery for my trolley as I was barely getting 15 holes out of my lithium.
It's doing the job but it's around 4x heavier(as expected) and looks dreadful.

My question is, has anyone opened up the lithium batteries plastic shell and replaced the battery inside?. I'm sure if its doable it would be significantly cheaper to get a replacement that way rather than forking out over £200 for a new one.
Golf can be expensive at the best of times so if I can save a few Bob here and there, why the hell not right?

And before you all jump at me. I'm asking if it's been done because I dont want to ruin a battery I can still use down the9hole course without an issue.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I would sincerely doubt if there are any serviceable parts in a lithium battery. You are more likely to write off the battery, and possibly injure yourself in the process. What is in there is dangerous stuff.

Pwatt118

Visit site
I would sincerely doubt if there are any serviceable parts in a lithium battery. You are more likely to write off the battery, and possibly injure yourself in the process. What is in there is dangerous stuff.

I think may of worded it wrong.
I have been told that Inside some lithium powacaddy batteries, the ones similar looking to the motocaddy lithium. The actual lithium battery has been inside the plastic shell. Once opened the battery can be replaced and resealed. It's just for looks. I wondered if anyone has done this to a motocaddy battery.

Pwatt118

Visit site
Just buy a new one, save you getting a face full of battery.

I'll save my £200 for this quarantine period we seem to be in ?‍♂️.
I'm in no rush for a new one anyhow, just thought I'd ask if anyone had done it... something to keep me busy.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The batteries are probably made up of a load if individual cells. If you know how to test each cell it may be possible to change any one operating below par.

This a part guess on my part based upon information gleaned about lithium batteries in general.

Pwatt118

Visit site
The batteries are probably made up of a load if individual cells. If you know how to test each cell it may be possible to change any one operating below par.

This a part guess on my part based upon information gleaned about lithium batteries in general.

That's a good should actually. I've fiddled with other types of lithium batteries in the past and found some have similar batteries to the vapes people smoke with these days. If that's the case Inside these I'm sure I could just swap the dud ones out with a bit of soldering.. ? thanks for that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Motocaddy (definitely the S series) has a 5 year warranty. Hopefully that helps?

Warranty on batteries - always worth reading exactly what that means. As someone who has used lots of different makes for buggies over 20+ years I have realised that this generally means that if the product is faulty and it is a sliding scale of refund depending upon age. What it generally does not cover is a slow deterioration in performance due to age of a battery.

Fabia999

Visit site
Warranty on batteries - always worth reading exactly what that means. As someone who has used lots of different makes for buggies over 20+ years I have realised that this generally means that if the product is faulty and it is a sliding scale of refund depending upon age. What it generally does not cover is a slow deterioration in performance due to age of a battery.

The OP doesn't state how old the battery is. Who knows, the battery could be a year old with a fault.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
My Motocaddy battery failed after 5 years surprise surprise. I was in the same mind as you thinking I could just replace some or all of the cells so took it all to bits. Can’t remember how many cells there are in there but a lot more than I was expecting and all wrapped in shrink wrap and then soldered together very strongly with metal bars. You would have to unsolder the lot to start testing and a soldering iron would not have done it, you would need heat then risk damaging the good ones. I went for an aftermarket lithium 36 hole in the end for about £140.

Wakers4

Visit site
Inside are 44 18650 type lithium batteries in series and parallel stuck together with aluminium tape. Early to replace if you know what you’re foing