Lithium battery - end of life?

Mandofred

Visit site
Just a quick update. I got the new Lithium battery, fitted it into the bracket, and my GoKart is going like a train again. ?
Kind of wish I had gotten a GoKart when I bought my first electric almost 2 months ago. Got an M1 Motocaddy that has never worked right. Controller has gotten steadily worse since I bought it. Contacted Motocaddy....I think they are sending me a new button switch. Pertaining to the topic though.....the instructions with Motocaddy were to charge as soon as you get home and don't leave it plugged in. Which is a problem for me....it sits in the garage so I don't see it.....so it's stayed plugged in overnight a couple of times. I now set my watch alarm for about 2-2.5hrs to remind me.

NearHull

Visit site
Kind of wish I had gotten a GoKart when I bought my first electric almost 2 months ago. Got an M1 Motocaddy that has never worked right. Controller has gotten steadily worse since I bought it. Contacted Motocaddy....I think they are sending me a new button switch. Pertaining to the topic though.....the instructions with Motocaddy were to charge as soon as you get home and don't leave it plugged in. Which is a problem for me....it sits in the garage so I don't see it.....so it's stayed plugged in overnight a couple of times. I now set my watch alarm for about 2-2.5hrs to remind me.

I have two lithium batteries which I use in turn. Each one has been on charge constantly for the past three tears except when in use.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
without tempting fate, I have had my 36 hole lithium for 9 years, I must play close to 200 rounds a year. It is still going strong and good for 27 holes or at a pinch I can nurse it round 36 on a flat course.
I dont do anything special to look after it, sometimes its connected to the charger for a long time sometimes it is unplugged when charged, sometimes I charge it for just a short time

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could buy a plug in 13 amp timer switch socket from Screwfix for £4.99 (y)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
This, Lithium battery's just stop, Lead acid just fail holding a charge so s!ow down.
I don't agree with this at all. Yes when you're using them, they'll be going along then charge dies.

However for the battery itself, it will degrade, and pull more poorly as it gets older. My now former 10 year old Motocaddy did this, 27 hole battery that did 45 easily, but as it neared end of life, it wouldn't do 36, and needed pushing uphill

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure about that. I think it's been mentioned earlier in the thread not to do that, and leave it plugged in and not switched on as that can damage the battery.
Sorry to disagree but once the power is switched off after a couple of hours it's hopefully fully charged and just sitting there.
I've had my Lite-Power lithium battery for almost 6 years and it has been left charging overnight many a time without any damage, so far :whistle::unsure::p

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Sorry to disagree but once the power is switched off after a couple of hours it's hopefully fully charged and just sitting there.
I've had my Lite-Power lithium battery for almost 6 years and it has been left charging overnight many a time without any damage, so far :whistle::unsure::p
I leave my battery charging overnight as well, no problem. I think the concern is that it you leave it connected whilst it is not charging, that somebody said it may cause damage.
I've charged mine like that for years. End of last year I decided to connect it to a smart switch, so it would stop charging after a few hours. This year, my battery died on me. It may be just coincidence, but I'm not sure I want to take that chance.

This is the quote I was referring to, which details instructions from Motocaddy.
I know that it is a problem with lead acid batteries, as it can drain the battery. I just don't know about Lithium.