Lithium battery - end of life?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My battery is getting on a bit and when I connected it up to my trolley today, fully charged, it ran for a few minutes and then stopped. When I got it home I paid it on charge and the light on the charter went green in a few minutes. I've read somewhere that, unlike lead acid, lithium batteries just fall off very quickly. Can anyone confirm this, and is there any way I can test the battery?
Thanks in advance.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure about testing, but I had a lithium battery do something very similar. Charged light came on quickly, but trolley stopped after a few minutes.

When they go, they go. Lead batteries used to run very slowly before going.

This, Lithium battery's just stop, Lead acid just fail holding a charge so s!ow down.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My battery is getting on a bit and when I connected it up to my trolley today, fully charged, it ran for a few minutes and then stopped. When I got it home I paid it on charge and the light on the charter went green in a few minutes. I've read somewhere that, unlike lead acid, lithium batteries just fall off very quickly. Can anyone confirm this, and is there any way I can test the battery?
Thanks in advance.
Have you tried another battery, in case it's a trolley or charger problem.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My lithium battery had a 5 year warranty, but stopped working after only 4 … mind you, it did fall into a concrete floor from a 6 foot high shelf after about a year. ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can buy lithium battery testers but they cost more than a new battery.

The important thing that 'proper' testers do is to test the battery capacity and not just the state of charge.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have another conundrum. I can get an 18/27 hole Lithium for £130, and a 36 hole for £150. So which to go for.

Rather depends on whether you will be doing any 36 holers

If so, no brainer
If not your 27 should be good for any 18 hole course, but the 36 does give you a bit more capacity especially if you play on mountains or hilly courses

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lithium batteries are made up of many smaller batteries which can deteriorate over time. It only takes a few to go bad and unless you can identify the culprits and replace them, then it's a new battery I'm afraid.

This is the inside of my old PowaKady battery.

Mq0ppkC.jpg

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't want to hijack the thread but how do you look after a lithium battery? I read somewhere that it's bad to use it for 18, leave a week then recharge and use for another 18. Rinse and repeat.

Do you need to somehow use the entire charge then charge up again to keep it in top shape? If so how is that best done?

I've had my current 36 holer for two years now. Play 18 twice a month on average and it seems to barely register that it's been used. Played 36 holes for the first time a few weeks ago and it lasted well and it didn't seem to drain it much. So I must be doing something right.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't want to hijack the thread but how do you look after a lithium battery? I read somewhere that it's bad to use it for 18, leave a week then recharge and use for another 18. Rinse and repeat.

Do you need to somehow use the entire charge then charge up again to keep it in top shape? If so how is that best done?

I've had my current 36 holer for two years now. Play 18 twice a month on average and it seems to barely register that it's been used. Played 36 holes for the first time a few weeks ago and it lasted well and it didn't seem to drain it much. So I must be doing something right.

On a recent TV programme about the batteries used in electric cars (same thing really) it was stated that batteries are have the longest life if they are maintained between between 20% and 80% of full charge. My phone tells me to recharge once 20% of charge is reached.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have a gokart lithium battery. I emailed them about how to look after the battery when I first bought it. They said to charge it up again as quickly as you can after using it. That's it.

After I play I bring it straight in, put it on charge, turn it off when the light goes green, put it in the garage until next time I play. I don't run it down, I asked that as well, and I always charge it after use, no exception.

I have had it 4 years, works perfectly, has never run out of steam.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
On a recent TV programme about the batteries used in electric cars (same thing really) it was stated that batteries are have the longest life if they are maintained between between 20% and 80% of full charge. My phone tells me to recharge once 20% of charge is reached.
Yeah I was told to not run down new phone batteries to empty. Makes sense to not do it to the trolley battery as they're essentially the same thing.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a gokart lithium battery. I emailed them about how to look after the battery when I first bought it. They said to charge it up again as quickly as you can after using it. That's it.

After I play I bring it straight in, put it on charge, turn it off when the light goes green, put it in the garage until next time I play. I don't run it down, I asked that as well, and I always charge it after use, no exception.

I have had it 4 years, works perfectly, has never run out of steam.

Now that's interesting. Will start doing this. Though the damage is done now with 2 years of doing it my way ?.