Most scenic golf courses in Great Britain

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played there on Tuesday night! Extraordinary.

Was on a short cycle tour and the b&b I was staying in was over the road. So I borrowed the old man's clubs (they must have been 30 years old) and played 9. Finished well after ten and the sun was still up... It's a magical place in good weather...

I will be there in August. Roll on !!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
View from the 14th tee at Roxburgh is pretty special!

I've dabbled several times with an 'ultimate' composite course, either challenging or scenic! Not actually a huge fan of 'challenging' first couple, but Miurfield 1st and Carnoustie 2nd would be my pics. Hankley's 1st would be a candidate for most scenic, with Wentworth East's 2nd a 'shoe in' for most scenic 2nd!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
View from the 14th tee at Roxburgh is pretty special!

I've dabbled several times with an 'ultimate' composite course, either challenging or scenic! Not actually a huge fan of 'challenging' first couple, but Miurfield 1st and Carnoustie 2nd would be my pics. Hankley's 1st would be a candidate for most scenic, with Wentworth East's 2nd a 'shoe in' for most scenic 2nd!
Ardglass 1st would be on my composite list.:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ardglass 1st would be on my composite list.:thup:
Not played it, so can't comment.

But you place's 1st was/is pretty high on both my lists too - as is your 18th!! And a few others!

Plenty of Harry Colt holes on both my potential lists, particularly Par 3s!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not played it, so can't comment.

But you place's 1st was/is pretty high on both my lists too - as is your 18th!! And a few others!

Plenty of Harry Colt holes on both my potential lists, particularly Par 3s!
Ist is a very pretty hole, and I think the 18th is a stunner. Harry knew what he was about.:thup:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
England - one of Thurlestone or Bigbury, two courses either side of Bantham beach and bay (my favourite beach) and overlooking Burgh Island.

Scotland - not played many but Aberfoyle in the Trussochs is incredibly scenic, a but different as most courses mentioned are costal, but the course covered in heather and loomed over by a few Bens is incredible.

Wales - never had the pleasure

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Good recommendations. Especially Harris. But when I went there it was blowing a gale and didn't play it. But Faldo played it and I imagine they still play for the Faldo Fiver.
I'll also mention for England - Dunstanburgh in Northumberland. At the far end of the course are the dramatic ruins of the castle.
For Wales - Newport in Pembrokeshire, beneath the Presceli Hills and adjacent to the beach and sea cliffs.
For Scotland - Isle of Arran. This is my favourite destination. 7 courses and all scenic. Brodick, Lamlash, Whiting Bay, Shiskine, Machrie, Lochranza, Corrie. My favourite (but please keep this quiet as I hate queues) is Lochranza. You can buy a pass to play them all, but if you ask for a twilight round at some courses the pass may not be good value. The ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick is not expensive with a car and it takes an hour and feels like a cruise.

http://www.lochranzagolf.com/
The deer will also keep you company.

If you have time, take the shorter ferry off Arran from Lochranza to Kintyre and play Carradale, Isle of Gigha, Isle of Seil, and Tarbert.

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
For Wales I'd just about give Tenby the nod over Royal St David's...
And, for Scotland Traigh shades Crail...

Only played a limited number of courses over the bridge and above the wall so my choices are fairly limited...

Struggling to make a choice, for England, as just as I make up my mind I remember another course that clouds making the choice...

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
While golf is a metaphor for frustration, it should also be fun.
I'm also interested in the most fun holes on courses. Is it possible to get up to 18 in total?
I think similar criteria should apply, on scenic courses in England, Wales and Scotland.

I'll throw in a few.
Brodick (Arran) 4th Hole. A par 3 over the Rosa Burn.
Royal Tarlair (Macduff) 13th Hole (Clivet). The green is over the sea and on a cliff promontory.
Llandrindod Wells. 18th Hole is down into a dip then over a road, but as a par 4 it can be driven.