Most scenic golf courses in Great Britain

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
County Down is wonderful, but ruined by the modern monstrosity of the Catholic Church in Newcastle.

Bamborough Castle is up there, in more ways than one for England.

Not played in Wales. Apart from celtic Manor, which does have some fantastic views. Probably not the best, but not bad.

Pitlochry has views. Up there with the best, I would think.

D

Deleted member 17920

County Down for sure is one of the best, the day we played it the sun was out and the sea and the mountains were incredible.

quite liked playing the castle course and looking at the auld town in the distance, again we had a beautiful sunny day and that helped.

I am just thinking about England, Seaton Carew or Immingham could be near the top :D but I think for me most scenic would be Bentham golf club, it might not be the best course but the views over the Dales are lovely.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
west of Scotland.....Rothesay/North of Scotland.....Royal Dornoch/Spey Valley.
north of England....Silloth Can't remember the course I played in Wales a number of years ago but was very high up in places
with stunning views over countrysides and Irish sea.

Jimbo

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
East Devon GC

I think it's the 16th tee thats highest part of the course and the views in all directions are incredible.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow.... West Isles are pretty unbeatable scenically..... glorious... simply
glorious.
In Scotland, for me of those I've played it's Machrihanish
& here.... a bit further south provides pretty similar, staggeringly beautiful, coastal backdrops.

In England it would have to be Keswick GC... crap course but sits under the mighty Blencathra with the rest of the Lake District to the south.... awesome!!

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From the courses I’ve played it would have to be the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset or Mullion in Cornwall.

Best view from the clubhouse restaurant has to go to the Isle of Purbeck though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Craigielaw was certainly up there for me!

Arthur's Seat in one direction; Fife across the Firth of Forth (and past Kilspindie) in another and 'big' sky. Even the ghostly (some considered then ghastly) houses looked 'good' from certain places. And the wildlife is amazing, especially in evening - hares abound; martingales and similar swooping about the fairways, tweeting hovering birds high above (just forgotten their name) and squadrons of geese (no Canadian!) circling waiting their turn to land on the Aberlady Bay/Inlet.

Certain parts of Sunningdale have marvellous views, 10th of Old is a great 'golfing' view; 5th Green/6th Tee of New are great golf/scenic views. And I agree with Homer about Hankley Common - fabulous scenery and the silence is only occasionally (not unpleasantly) disturbed by the 'Whop Whop' of Chinooks! Anywhere from the 2nd Green of either course of Walton Heath is pretty spectacular too - though, for some reason, the trees niggle a bit!

Royal Aberdeen can provide an interesting contrast between recreation on the one hand and the massive industry out in the North Sea!

Last edited:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Definitely speaking from experience, Turnberry and Machrahanish. I will throw Fort William in there too.

Down here in Surrey, the view from the 18th at West Surrey or the 14th at Effingham is pretty special. Or the holes by the grandstand at Epsom (insert usual gag about car park experiences here).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Scotland - Cruden Bay. But there's so much choice up there I could add a few more very easily.

England - Royal West Norfolk(Brancaster).

Wales - Royal St. David's at Harlech.

Ireland - Portmarnock GC, Dublin. Sadly, I didn't get across to the west of Ireland for Ballybunnion and Waterville, or down to Cork for Old Head of Kinsale but maybe one day.

Just realised, they're all links courses.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Machrihanish both courses cracking scenery to ure left Northern Ireleland plus further over Southern Ireland to u right Islay further right the paps and straight doon the middle America. Stunning simply stunning