Most scenic golf courses in Great Britain

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Seaford Head has some incredible views. Half the course is a bit meh, and then I think it's the 12th where things come to life. Love that place :cool:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
England - one of Thurlestone or Bigbury, two courses either side of Bantham beach and bay (my favourite beach) and overlooking Burgh Island.

Scotland - not played many but Aberfoyle in the Trussochs is incredibly scenic, a but different as most courses mentioned are costal, but the course covered in heather and loomed over by a few Bens is incredible.

Wales - never had the pleasure

Will give you a +1 for both Thurlestone and Bigbury - having had the pleasure of playing both. Spectacular cliff top golf. If you like these you'll like Stonehaven GC.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Will give you a +1 for both Thurlestone and Bigbury - having had the pleasure of playing both. Spectacular cliff top golf. If you like these you'll like Stonehaven GC.

Hoping to play Bigbury this autumn if not definitely next spring... One of my old mates lives very adjacent and I have an open invitation to visit... Retirement is great with all the opportunities being offered... Finding the time to take them up is the 'problem'...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
West Cornwall. Mullion. St.Enodoc.

I like Cornwall :)

Trevose for the clubhouse view over the course and out to sea

Nefyn peninsula is pretty special too

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My own course of Whalsay in Shetland is the most scenic course I have played, you can see the sea on every tee with spectacular cliff top views on some, some rave about the views at Royal Dornoch but I've played there and it's not as scenic as our course.

Ive also played Gairloch, Pitlochry, Brora, Golspie, and many others in Scotland also hundreds in the south of England, none as scenic as Whalsay but all of them better courses than ours.

Visit site
Another vote for Mullion, biased by it used to be my home course for 15 years, but never got bored of the view. St Enodoc for the 1st and 15th views, stunning. Front 9 at Hindhead in early morning mist on a summers day, with deers on the fairways was also memorable from purely a course perspective.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Seaford Head has some incredible views. Half the course is a bit meh, and then I think it's the 12th where things come to life. Love that place :cool:

Indeed. Not horrendous for a council run pay and play though! The view off the 18th tee is one of my favourites in Sussex. Wind off the sea, for someone who's cable of a "hyper fade" it's always an interesting shot!

18489529_10155265540932770_6375228134517637120_n.jpg

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The Cowal peninsula in south west Scotland has courses with incredible views.

Innellan GC with amazing views high over the Firth of Clyde. Played its 9 holes once and to be fair I think you need to play it after a dry spell.
http://www.innellangolfclub.co.uk/

Kyles of Bute GC. Also 9 holes but again it will be more enjoyable when its not too wet. But...
https://www.kylesofbutegolfclub.co.uk/
Wow!

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Indeed. Not horrendous for a council run pay and play though! The view off the 18th tee is one of my favourites in Sussex. Wind off the sea, for someone who's cable of a "hyper fade" it's always an interesting shot!

View attachment 25395

Shame there's not a proper pathway immediately from the tee though. It's very steep and a the loose chalk and stones make walking down quite tricky.............especially if you have a trolley to guide as well. I twisted my knee quite badly there 2 years ago and haven't been back since.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Shame there's not a proper pathway immediately from the tee though. It's very steep and a the loose chalk and stones make walking down quite tricky.............especially if you have a trolley to guide as well. I twisted my knee quite badly there 2 years ago and haven't been back since.

Very true, the uphill par 3 (12th?) could also do with a path of sorts!

D

Deleted member 1147

When catching the train, between Aberdeen & Carnoustie, for the Open we sped past a cracking looking course on the cliff tops.
I think it was at Stonehaven.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played ballycastle at the weekend. Its not short of a nice view.

Not difficult but nice for a lazy sunday afternoon game with the family.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll throw in Bridport & West Dorset or Lyme Regis for the South of England. And the view from one or two of the holes at Epsom Downs is pretty spectacular.

Cols_Ears

Hacker
Visit site
For parkland courses Gleneagles Queens has some of the most stunning a views around.
Can't believe it took 44 responses for someone to mention Gleneagles! It's right up there for me and I would also say Queens has the best views of the three.
Castle Stuart is pretty good too.

NI I'd say RCD - Portrush a close 2nd (But I've only played the two!!!)
Wales would be Nefyn
Still thinking about England (Formby is special)...

Last edited: