monty monty monty

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
i have just read in this months mag that the ryder cup means nothing to monty. Page 66.

What do you guys make of this? Does he deserve a spot from nick if he doesnt qualify?

Does this take the pressure off him and let him put in a good performance if he does make it...some how?

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think he says that it means nothing to him personally as it's all about the team, rather than indicating that he doesn't care about it.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
i am in no way suggesting anything here, i just want your views, i did notice his performance is almost as good as faldo's in the ryder cup!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think he was talking from a personal perspective, a sort of "one man doesn't make a team" kind of thing. I know in recent months when he's been asked about the Ryder cup he has always said he is trying to male it on merit but would love to play in it however he got in.

He has been one of the fundamental reasons we have done so well in the last decade or so and I think deep down he is desperate to make the team. At the same time Monty is a realist and knows that unless he finds some form and fast it is likely that he'll miss out

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Can't help thinking Monty will be wild-carded - his tour form is not coming together (as yet) but he did reasonably well in the WGC Accenture Matchplay. There would be plenty of disappointment all round if he didn't make it this time round.

Is he possibly the most misquoted/misunderstood yet successful tour player to never have won a major??

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I persoanlly would love to see him on the team regardless of how he got there. It was a bit of a shock for me to read though that the ryder cup meant nothing to him. How does he motivate him self to play well for the place he says he wants?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is he possibly the most misquoted/misunderstood yet successful tour player to never have won a major??
Isnt that Ian Poulter, or should that read "successful tour player who deserves a major that he has never won?" :D

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He clearly states not making the team would be a blow and missing out this time would make him more determined to try and play in 2010 or even 2012.

I think the comment being referred to relates to he does not judge himself as a golfer based on his ryder cup record, he himself see's the achievement of 8 OoM titles (7 in a row) as his legacy.

T

thecraw

Monty just likes to let his belly rumble at times, hes not flavour of the month with his fellow Scottish pros on tour either due to his comments about them.

Monty wears his heart on his sleeve and always gives a frank and honest opinion, sometimes he should engage his brain first or phrase things a little bit better, but Monty is Monty and the bottom line is the Yanks do fear him in the Ryder Cup and thats a fact!