Monte Rei or Old Course

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Myself and 15 others were due to be in Portugal in two weeks. As has been the case for many of us this year. A certain “C” word has gotten in the way.......

Fortunately 4 of us work from home so have decided to go anyways.
we have 4 days booked as a package already, with 2 other previous Portugal Open venues planned. With a Finale yet to be decided upon.
For those that have payed the above. Any preference?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Monte Rei is a big open Jack Nicklaus course. It has the downhill shots he likes, positional bunkers and generally speaking generous driving areas. There are a few terrific holes on it, and it is often relatively quiet, due to slightly out of the way location and cost. Personally, I love it.

Vilamoura Old is a very different type of course, much narrower with tree-lined fairways. Nice enough but not a must play in my opinion. San Lorenzo is a similar style of course, but a better one than VO for my money.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Thanks guys!
We have considered a few others, have apparently settled on these two as pretty good deals can be had on both atm where as some of the other top courses don’t seem to have any deals going, so we can pay them another time.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
One course often overlooked around those parts is Palmares, near Lagos, which I also really like. it has some linksy holes and some treelined.
The 27 hole venue right?
We considered it, but have got two courses at €50 for a round and buggy. Hence the willingness To spend out on a top one.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Palmares is absolutely fantastic. Been to Portugal twice and the first time we sort of stumbled upon it by accident. Ended up playing it twice, to hit all 3 9's.

The next time we went back we had to play it and went out of our way to do so. The links and heathland 9 are my favourite but all 3 are brilliant.

Edit to answer the question... I haven't played either but I would choose Monte Rei as was recommended it by the guy who worked at Palmares, he said its a must play. Fantastic conditioning and the service is out of this world. This guy was saying Palmares was scruffy because they had weeds on the fairway....

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve played both MR and The Old many times and there is absolutely no contest. MR wins hands down.

You’re treated like royalty from the moment you arrive, and the course is stunning. No one hole overlooks any other, it’s always absolutely immaculate with greens to die for. Get on the wrong side of the hole on most of them and you’ve got some terrifying putts.

It genuinely is millionaires golf. You rarely see another soul anywhere on the course. Contrast that to The Old which, whilst nice enough, packs them on.

Seriously. If you can only play one this is the easiest decision you will ever have to make. MR is a top quality venue in every sense.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I’d go with Monte Rei, some incredible holes and more memorable than the Old. Won’t beat you up as generous off the tee but hard to score well. The food, balcony and other bits really nice too. Enjoy

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Very different places. Monte Rei is a drive east...depending on where you're staying. But as said above, MR is much quieter and very Nicklaus. I thought it was great.

Vilamoura is often very busy. But the course is still very good..

If not been to either, I'd head for MR !

I have friends who are members at Palmares. 27 holes that are underrated.

I have a big affection for San Lorenzo and the 3 QdL courses. We stay at the QdL Hotel and the lagoon area is so beautiful...

Missing the Algarve this year!!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
We're actually staying near gramacho.
Did their unlimited package deal as so cheap and with courses being so quiet atm we are able to play twice a day and play all the Pestana venues a few times.

Then we have Morgado and Penina championship as within 20 mins. Before heading to top course and then air port. The extra drive to MR isn't an issue. We fly back at 6pm. So ple ty of time for the round.

We are currently considering dropping one of the two selected courses and going old course and MR :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't played either but I have seen it written in a golf mag that MR is the best course in mainland Europe!

That is something of an exaggeration. It is very good, though.

The Nicklaus design style is well known. They like to be able to see the hole and plot a route. There are always conservative ways to play the hole, but risk-reward ways too. It is usually generous in the driving area, but one side of the fairway is usually better than the other, so some strategy is needed. They often use fairway bunkers to frame the hole and being close to the bunkers is often a good line. The fairway bunkers are usually reasonably flat and you can play out of them. Then the approach to the green can be trickier, and rewards being on the fairway and in the right place. Greenside bunkers are more challenging. Greens can be pretty sloppy and there are usually places to avoid depending on the pin position. All part of the stragey game. Nicklaus likes downhill tee shots, and some holes play on levels. They are great courses for allowing you to open your shoulders on the tee, but also to test your game. I have played a few others like Montecastillo in Spain and some in the US and Mexico.

I thought the best run of holes was in the middle of the back 9, but it is all very good.

Course map and flyovers