Mizuno custom fit today

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a custom fit today and not too sure what to make of the results.

The set up was all sorted out ok but the equipment used for testing was quite old by todays standards, I have used Trackman before which is awesome but they used what I think was a Vector machine and the shaft DNA tester.

The problem was, when I tried my own bog standard graphite Taylor Made Tour Burners on the Vector machine, I hit them the same distance as Mizzy's recommended clubs, the spin rate was the same, same trajectory only the dispersion rate with the Mizzy's was 7 yards and 16 with mine, all with a 6 iron. I just dont know whether I should change clubs or persue my quest for single figures (now 11.5)with more lessons and stick with what Iv'e got?

By the way, their recommedation was JPX 800 Pro's with Nippon 950 Reg shafts, 2 tapes and 2 degrees upright, std swing weight

Mmmmm not sure whether the change will make any real difference for £529??

Chris

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think I'd spend a bit of that on some lessons, get down to single figures and then re-think if necessary.

By then they should be a lot cheaper :D :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If it's purely a set of Mizzy then I guess there is little difference between them and what you have. Certainly not enough to warrant a change. If it's a new set per se then go back to the drawing board and see what else is out there. Why not look at the R9 TP's if you fancy staying with TM or the I15 etc. Even the Nike Pro combo range may be a good shout as they progressively towards out and out blades in the shorter clubs

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Probably will do Leftie

HJS - I am happy to change if I get to hit more greens but I like Mizuno and I had MP60's till the arthritus in my hip necessitated a change to easier clubs. Now I have had a hip replacement I fancied going back to Mizzy's but the test results were not to different from the TM's.

Chris

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Firstly. Happy Birthday.

I guess that if nothing else, it goes to show that there isn't much wrong with your current bats. Which is where the cf comes in. Sometimes a 'miracle' just doesn't happen.

Incidently. Were you expecting much of a change in the stats from your clubs and the Mizzys?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
7 yard dispersion over 16 yards says that your mizzy's are over 50% more accurate so with that stat yes I'd say their worth it. The problem is your looking at a change of 9 yards which seems very little.

That said if you work on the same margin would you change if the dispersion rate was 40 yards with your tm and 18 yards with the mizzy's which is effectively the same percentage.

Obvious you have a good solid base for a dispersion of only 16 feet, but I'd ask yourself how many greens you miss by 9 yards, how many times you have just clipped a bunker or hazzard by 9 yards and the work out whether you think their viable

Personally I see these as a good investment. Off 10/11 your GIR percentage must be well over 50% or 9/18, if you could make that 12/18 that could get you to 8 over s few months ;)

What is interesting is the fact your find a GI/ mid-hi capper set of irons best when your bordering single fiqures

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Oooh, that's a tough call to me. I agree with Oddsocks post and if I played off 5 then I'd change but off 11.5 I don't think you're going to get £500+ of benefit unless you think that dispersion is repeatable every time? Only you know how well you were hitting.

Out of interest what shafts do you have in your current clubs?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd say a 50% increase in accuracy is well worth it, providing as JustOne says, it's repeatable.
I know I'd be lower than I am if my bad miss was only by 3.5yds rather than 8. That's the difference between hitting the green and missing it.

To me, the same distance, spin rate etc says you've got a fairly repeatable swing.

I think it depends on whether you can miss the cash.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont forget thats with a 6 iron. The lower end clubs should have even less dispersal and these clubs would/should be used more often I would think. How many 6 irons and above do you hit per round ? If it were me I wouldnt bother to change but maybe just improve my concentration or technique a little , or maybe hit it further off the tee so you're left with less to the greems :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in answering your posts guys.

It may help to know that I have spoken to my club pro and he has said that he will make a club to Mizzy's spec and I can try with real balls on the practice ground, testing against my TM's. I will also look at his suggestion of mixing a half set of MP53's and half JPX800 Pro, so that the more forgiving JPX clubs are 4,5,6 irons. He said that a number of tour players are doing that now.

The choice of JPX over MP53's, Oddsocks, was just the Mizuno guy saying that I rarley missed the sweetspot on the JPX's but did a few times on the MP53's - marginal though!

Just deciding by using averaged stats worries me as the dispersion rate on my own club could have been distorted by just one poor hit that wasn't excluded from the stats.

Thanks for your comments and input though - everything helps on the decision making

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What about when you club pro makes a replica spec club hit ten balls with each counting your five best with each, then your five worst.

Afteral your worst shot dispersion is where your h/c comes from ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Yeh but the 5 worst are generally swing issues and not club issues. Is there really a club on the planet that'll correct your bad swings?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a custom fit today and not too sure what to make of the results.

The set up was all sorted out ok but the equipment used for testing was quite old by todays standards, I have used Trackman before which is awesome but they used what I think was a Vector machine and the shaft DNA tester.

The problem was, when I tried my own bog standard graphite Taylor Made Tour Burners on the Vector machine, I hit them the same distance as Mizzy's recommended clubs, the spin rate was the same, same trajectory only the dispersion rate with the Mizzy's was 7 yards and 16 with mine, all with a 6 iron. I just dont know whether I should change clubs or persue my quest for single figures (now 11.5)with more lessons and stick with what Iv'e got?

By the way, their recommedation was JPX 800 Pro's with Nippon 950 Reg shafts, 2 tapes and 2 degrees upright, std swing weight

Mmmmm not sure whether the change will make any real difference for £529??

Chris

for a no nonsense honest bit of advice ask bobmac. i know the answer already :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeh but the 5 worst are generally swing issues and not club issues. Is there really a club on the planet that'll correct your bad swings?

I absolutely agree James, but if my best shots become even better .... is it worth the investment?

Chris

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I knock it round OK with an old set of vantage clubs (circa 1851) :(

I don't think the bats make that much difference if the shaft is about right for you.

If you were playing off 11h/cap with blades and decided to opt for a set of GI clubs then that may be a smart decision but to change like-for-like when there is no obvious advantage is spending for the sake of it... in my opinion.

A

Alex1975

I don't think the bats make that much difference if the shaft is about right for you.

If you were playing off 11h/cap with blades and decided to opt for a set of GI clubs then that may be a smart decision but to change like-for-like when there is no obvious advantage is spending for the sake of it... in my opinion.

Have to agree with this, If your going for something edger and looking for a better feel all good, if you just after the next big thing...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Have to agree with this, If your going for something edger and looking for a better feel all good, if you just after the next big thing...

I am sure that you are right James

What do you mean Alex .... Ping??? I am old enough for them!

Chris