Mixed tee competitions

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can anyone think of a competition format which, in handicapping terms, cannot be played from mixed tees?

I don't mean one that is difficult to manage, inadvisable, never actually done etc, just that it is technically not possible to arrive at the handicap allocations for the format.

Your help will be appreciated,

RulesGuy

Visit site
I feel like I'm falling into a trap here but here goes. A comp whereby you choose which tee (red, yellow or white) you use on each hole

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I feel like I'm falling into a trap here but here goes. A comp whereby you choose which tee (red, yellow or white) you use on each hole

Now - if there were such a format I am rather wondering why - given you have been given a choice - you'd ever not play from the most forward tee :) maybe it could be called Mixed-up Coloursomes.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

No trap at all. I was genuinely checking that I hadn't overlooked something before advising some fellow members about mixed tee comps. Having played our blue course - the most forward tees - I would confirm that there would be queue to play from them at every hole given a choice and you wouldn't have a mixed tee comp at all. :)

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Wish I could help.
Our only competition is whose tab the drinks are going on.
And we're all geriatrics playing off the same tees.

But on a purely academic level, I'd like to know how this would work.
It sounds interesting.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No trap at all. I was genuinely checking that I hadn't overlooked something before advising some fellow members about mixed tee comps. Having played our blue course - the most forward tees - I would confirm that there would be queue to play from them at every hole given a choice and you wouldn't have a mixed tee comp at all. :)
It might work quite well in a four person team format if your team had to use each colour of tee so many times and each player in a team had to hit so many tee shots. But I am not sure how you'd work out number of shots a team receives in a mixed team event of this sort.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now - if there were such a format I am rather wondering why - given you have been given a choice - you'd ever not play from the most forward tee :) maybe it could be called Mixed-up Coloursomes.

plenty of holes a par 4 off the fronts but a par 5 off the backs, if its stableford ill play those holes off the backs please

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The
Wish I could help.
Our only competition is whose tab the drinks are going on.
And we're all geriatrics playing off the same tees.

But on a purely academic level, I'd like to know how this would work.
It sounds interesting.

Mixed tee competitions are most commonly where men and women are playing together but separately there is, in my view, a big place for them in terms of accommodating ageing members (like me) who can't manage the greater carries etc of the longer courses.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have the choice of White or Yellow tees in our individual stroke play Midweek medals, both sets of tees have their own SS and on the day separate CSS are worked out.
Enter your score the computer works it out , basically those playing from longer tees get 2 extra strokes.
Not sure how playing other formats could work it out though .

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have the choice of White or Yellow tees in our individual stroke play Midweek medals, both sets of tees have their own SS and on the day separate CSS are worked out.
Enter your score the computer works it out , basically those playing from longer tees get 2 extra strokes.
Not sure how playing other formats could work it out though .

Just for your info, the CONGU recommendation is to have a single CSS.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think one (WHS) PCC is calculated for all tees used on that day.

PS for Swingit ;)
PCC = Playing Conditions Calculation
PPS = PS = Post Script
PPS = Post, Post Script
I give up now

Yes. The PCC isn't competition specific but based on all scores returned on the day.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Incidentally, if a score is returned late (ie after the date of play), it will not affect the PCC calculated for the day of play nor the day of return but will be affected by the PCC for the day played.

DickInShorts

Visit site
I thought the WHS produced the equivalent of CSS from each tee each day - or it makes a mockery of women’s tees with different pars to men. Or does the playing handicap,adjustment take that into account?
Apologies if terminology not WHS compliant - but it’ll take me a while to remember it all