Mixed Stableford - Handicap adjustments

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm processing the cards from a mixed stableford competition at our club and I have a question regarding the handicap adjustment for the 1 lady that played in it.

Her actual handicap is 17, she marked strokes received as 21. The handicap software worked out the actual strokes received as 19 based (I think) on the below statement.

"In mixed events, there can be a discrepancy between Men's and Ladies' handicaps if there is a difference in the Standard Scratch Score and/or Par between the courses being played by each gender.

In mixed events where there is a difference between the "Par less Standard Scratch Score" value of the Men's and Ladies' courses, players playing off the tees with the lower "Par less Standard Scratch Score" value will have their Competition Handicap increased by the difference between the respective "Par less Standard Scratch Score" values. "

At our place the men play off white (Par 70, SSS 69) and the ladies/juniors play of red (Par 72, SSS 73)

So if my understanding is correct, the 2 shots come from 70-69 = 1 , 72-73 = -1 , the difference between +1 and -1 being 2

Not sure why she put 4 additional strokes down if that's the case but there is no DQ as she put the correct handicap down on the card. Fortunately the "strokes received" box is a guide only.

Does that all appear correct?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The 4 shots is simply the difference between the 2 SSSs, which would be the appropriate way of equalising the 2 courses in a Medal competition.

If using the Club 2000 software, you can (well, use to be able to) let the software sort it all out in a 'Combined Comp'. Separate Men's/Ladies Handicaps and CSSs are calculated, but I presume this is simply a Society or similar event.

Last edited:

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sawtooth, There is a good explanation on the England Golf website, with examples: http://www.englandgolf.org/page.aspx?sitesectionid=136&search= These days the number of shots given is determined by the difference in the number of stableford points needed to play to handicap.

Most software these days will follow the above methods but will allow the administrator to override the number of shots being given. We have a problem at my club where the above method works out that ladies should receive 1 extra shot in mixed comps, but most expect to get 2 shots as that is the way is used to be done (difference in CSS only, not taking into account that the par is also different) - Some education needed :)