Mixed Foursome - Question relating to what SSS do you play?

MACM85

Visit site
Tried to search the forum before asking this. I couldn't find an answer so wanted to ask in a thread.

Mrs and I playing mixed foursome comp at our club this summer. Ladies have two holes that are par 5's compared to the men's par 4. These are holes 3 & 12. So whichever way we work it she'll be teeing off on one of them

For when she does tee off, Does the hole remain a par 4 as per the mens SSS or will it be played on the ladies par 5 rating?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
If its matchplay or medal it doesn't matter what the par is.

If its stableford scoring, then, as others have said....it will depend on what tees are to be used for scoring purposes as defined in the Conditions of Competition.

MACM85

Visit site
The format is matchplay. The details on the sign in just state men off whites and ladies off reds with 50% combined handicap. It isn't too clear. Might have to speak to the club and get an exact wording on it

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The format is matchplay. The details on the sign in just state men off whites and ladies off reds with 50% combined handicap. It isn't too clear. Might have to speak to the club and get an exact wording on it
Makes no difference then, your allowance is half your combined, and whichever team is lower is the "scratch" pair
1650378862731.png

wjemather

Visit site
There will (or should be!) a mixed tee adjustment to be applied when calculating handicaps. CONGU's mixed tee calculator may come in handy.

MACM85

Visit site
It’s it’s matchplay then it doesn’t matter what the par is ? The lowest score on the hole wins

That is fair enough. I didn't know if the two holes that are higher rated for women would come into account. Normally lowest score wins the hole. This is the first time for me in a mixed pair so hence why I wasn't sure how it works for the two holes that are par 5's for the ladies.

As we will be giving shots away if it was played as a par 5 plus they get a shot their 6 is the same as our 4 etc if I teed off or their 6 is the same as our 5 if my mrs tee'd off. That is where I am getting confused on how the par is applied.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is fair enough. I didn't know if the two holes that are higher rated for women would come into account. Normally lowest score wins the hole. This is the first time for me in a mixed pair so hence why I wasn't sure how it works for the two holes that are par 5's for the ladies.

As we will be giving shots away if it was played as a par 5 plus they get a shot their 6 is the same as our 4 etc if I teed off or their 6 is the same as our 5 if my mrs tee'd off. That is where I am getting confused on how the par is applied.

As has been explained, par has nothing to do with a foursomes match. Nor would it have anything to do with regular stroke play foursomes. It would be relevant only to a foursomes stableford.

What does matter in a match is at which hole(s) strokes are given/received and for that you need to use either the men's or the women's stroke index. My memory is that the WHS recommendation is to use the stroke index of the less difficult course, but my memory is none too secure.

In your example, if your opponents score 6 and are receiving a stroke, they have score net 5. If you and your partner score 4, you have won the hole. It's as simple as that and it matters not whether the men started the hole or the women. You play alternate shots; you add up how many; one side deducts any strokes they get at the hole according to the chosen stroke index; the hole is won, lost or tied accordingly. It's as simple as that.

MACM85

Visit site
As has been explained, par has nothing to do with a foursomes match. Nor would it have anything to do with regular stroke play foursomes. It would be relevant only to a foursomes stableford.

What does matter in a match is at which hole(s) strokes are given/received and for that you need to use either the men's or the women's stroke index. My memory is that the WHS recommendation is to use the stroke index of the least difficult course, but my memory is none too secure.

In your example, if your opponents score 6 and are receiving a stroke, they have score net 5. If you and your partner score 4, you have won the hole. It's as simple as that and it matters not whether the men started the hole or the women.

Perfect, makes sense that. Least we will know when the first round kicks off.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
if all teams consist of 1 man and 1 lady, men take their course handicap of the tees they will play from when its there drive, ladies take their of their tees. then its half combined. There should be no need for adjusting anyones handicap

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
if all teams consist of 1 man and 1 lady, men take their course handicap of the tees they will play from when its there drive, ladies take their of their tees. then its half combined. There should be no need for adjusting anyones handicap

If there are differences in the course ratings of the tees played from, there is indeed a need to adjust handicaps. You calculate the difference between the CR of the course played by each player and the lowest CR. Each side gets 50% of the combined differences of the two partners. I'll post an example later.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If there are differences in the course ratings of the tees played from, there is indeed a need to adjust handicaps. You calculate the difference between the CR of the course played by each player and the lowest CR. Each side gets 50% of the combined differences of the two partners. I'll post an example later.

We play a manchester and district mixed foursomes knockout and it is just half combined course handicap, maybe that needs to change then

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just checked our mixed foursomes comp.

stroke allowance is half combined, and Strokes to be taken as per the mens card.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Mac, it's FOURSOMES, you're playing one ball, whether the ladies have a par 5 where the men would be a 4 doesn't matter, it's also matchplay, lowest net score on the hole wins, the only question (which will be in comp rules) is are you using the mens or ladies stroke indexes to designate where the given strokes are taken.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It's foursomes, the handicap allowance is half the combined handicaps of the two players, and it's matchplay, so the strokes taken are as per designated in competition rules (but would usually be the mens)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We play a manchester and district mixed foursomes knockout and it is just half combined course handicap, maybe that needs to change then

No change needed but that is only because the full calculation (which includes the Course Rating adjustment) gives you the same difference between the playing handicaps of the sides as the difference between the course handicaps. That is because the course rating adjustment for both sides is the same . In your mixed foursomes, you thus "get away" with not including the course rating adjustment and so no change needed. That would also apply to an all male or all female competition where one member of each side played the white course and the other two played the red.

I can't think of any other mixed tee foursomes set-up where you would not need to factor in the Course Rating adjustment.

The process for each side is to take 50% of its combined playing handicaps and add on half of the combined course rating adjustments.

Last edited: