Mixed competitions under WHS

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi @jim8flog I posted the text from rule 6.2b, "England Golf have now published their version of the WHS rules of handicapping and I am completely baffled by the rule to calculate playing handicaps for mixed tee, 18 hole stableford. It's rule 6.2bii, ...". See my first message for the text.

The problem is that I do not understand how to translate that verbiage into a number! See example that I specified in my first message.

I already have a WHS in South Africa. In their version of the WHS, they already adjust for par and course rating in the course handicap so it is not neccessary to jump through these arithmetic hoops to calculate mixed tee playing handicaps. Strangely, in the English version, they do this for 9 hole course handicaps but not for 18 hole course handicaps.

I think one of the biggest problems has always been understanding what playing to your handicap means. It means in stroke play terms that your score after deducting your handicap equals the CSS if playing a competition and the SSS in a friendly game and not par. For instance where I play I have to shoot 3 under par nett to play to my handicap.

I was going to quote what it means under the WHS but in my mind it is basically the same. Sadly the caharts I previously reffered to have been removed from the county website.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
The computer will not work it out.

Course adjustment Shots have always been applied manually.

It is the sort of thing worked out by a committee in charge of a competition and declared before the start of a competition.
What software does your club use, Club V1 works it out for the player providing the administrator has ticked the correct box when setting up the competition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What software does your club use, Club V1 works it out for the player providing the administrator has ticked the correct box when setting up the competition.

I never set up the competitions (just the rules of the comp) that is done by the club manager or club secretary. Generally speaking the more formal mixed comps are run by the Ladies section I will get them to check when the new software is set up.

Most of our club mixed comps that I get involved in are fun non standard comps like Texas scrambles.