Minimum players for CSS?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone know if there is a minimum number of players required to make calculating CSS necessary? If not, why not?

Reason I ask is quite a few of our competitions have a low number of entrants and you can be in the invidious position of being the only player to break handicap but not get a cut since the CSS came down.

I notice it happened again last weekend; 6 players, 1 player 1 under handicap, 1 other level and the other four not even close to buffer. CSS came down so the player didn't get a cut.

With these small numbers it's a nonsense - not affected by conditions but just decent form of a couple of players.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't know the official answer but I have played in a Tuesday medal which I won and my playing partner was second as we were the only 2 players.....both our h/caps went up 0.1

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just got unlucky there.

6 hs a calculated CSS

5 or fewer uses SSS

There is also a different table for fewer than 10 - where no-one is in buffer.

Low numbers was a fairly common problem for Ladies at an old club and seriously distorted quite a few comps - as CSS could either go down by 1 or R/O on the presence or absence of 1 good score - or maybe 2.

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers foxy. Should set the minimum higher, says I!

Yes, I think it might be a common problem for ladies' comps. Even with our relatively large ladies section some of the minor comps can have poor turn out. Monthly medal next month coincides with a ladies outing. I'm not going so could be the only one playing the medal!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Good chance of a win then?

Just treat the low turnout ones as Supplementaries! Perhaps using SSS - 1 as target.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As Fox says.

I played as one of four on a foul day in a comp, shot one under nett and didnt get cut as the SSS is one under the par!

Got soaked for nowt