Milled or Insert?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I much prefer the insert. feels like I get alot more spring off the putter so I don't need to hit them so hard. from using the quintech system I get much better roll too.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Insert for me. Had a few Scottys in the past, they used to be excellently made putters. Wouldn't buy a modern cheap Chinese version. But, my distance control was never great with them. Always felt the ball could jump off the face.
That doesn't happen with a good insert.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Milled for me also. Did use an original 2 ball for a couple of seasons but I couldn't get the feel off the face I had with solid putters. In the end it was just a confidence thing.

Rarely play on greens fast enough to justify a really soft face so weight of the putter is more important for me.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have a Scotty Squareback No1 that I've had for about 8 or 9 years now. Always putted well with it, love it to bits, never thought I would change it. However, last year I picked up an Odyssey Stroke Lab V line to try, and couldn't seem to miss with it. I tried it a number of times on different occasions before buying, even taking my Scotty in to compare, I just putted better with the V line, been using that ever since. May grab the Scotty out today for a try on my home putting mat, see how it goes, but at the moment, can't see myself switching back.

Dug the Scotty out yesterday and spent a bit of time switching between the two on my putting mat. Apart from the sound off the face, and the Odyssey feeling slightly softer when impacting the ball, I didn't feel as if there was much real difference in performance. I hit about 60 putts with each, ranging from 3ft, 6ft and 9ft, I didn't have to swing the Odyssey any harder than the Scotty at all. I only missed one putt, by about 1cm ...... with the Odyssey, and that was due to me pulling the putter offline in the takeway which resulted in an arced stroke as opposed to the straight back and forward I usually do. So my fault, not the putter. Maybe from much further distances (20ft +), the Odyssey may need a little more momentum, but I think I'm still in the same insert camp for now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dug the Scotty out yesterday and spent a bit of time switching between the two on my putting mat. Apart from the sound off the face, and the Odyssey feeling slightly softer when impacting the ball, I didn't feel as if there was much real difference in performance. I hit about 60 putts with each, ranging from 3ft, 6ft and 9ft, I didn't have to swing the Odyssey any harder than the Scotty at all. I only missed one putt, by about 1cm ...... with the Odyssey, and that was due to me pulling the putter offline in the takeway which resulted in an arced stroke as opposed to the straight back and forward I usually do. So my fault, not the putter. Maybe from much further distances (20ft +), the Odyssey may need a little more momentum, but I think I'm still in the same insert camp for now.
Tottaly agree with this.
But we have some very large greens and it’s the longer putts I struggle with with insert putters .
There have been times I have had five or six goes at a long putt and just can’t hit it hard enough to get it to the hole.
But the milled is easier to play from this distance 50/60ft.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don’t care what the face is made of, it’s the rest of the club head that’s important to me.
Weight, balance etc make more difference to me, as they help me hit it where I’m trying to hit it more often.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Love my Odyssey milled #9 but it's not playing ball so have had to resort to the Fang V-line 2 ball with the insert. Doesn't have the same feeling off the face at all and the milled face has a unique feel and really lets you know when you miss the centre

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My preferred putter is a Rife Hybrid Mallet which is an aluminium insert with grooves so good feel and imparting a good roll too.
I also have the Bobby Grace brass insert putter which gives a different, slightly softer feel.
I'm not a big fan of the soft face putter inserts.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Great looking putter, nice weight amd good stock grip but my god that face is rock hard. Makes the ball feel like a large pebble. Very off putting sound too.

They were very close to an amazing putter with this one. I used one for a round and my mate bought one blind. Used it a bit more but didnt change my initial thoughts on it.

I've been using it ever since, getting on with it really well but am tempted to try a new one - possibly going to get a fitting booked in once lockdown is over, would be nice to compare it as I've not even tried a different putter since I've had it.